• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking For An Automatic Turntable

It's a candidate. In good working order, excellent. I like them as a rule, like the JVC and Denon servo armed turntables superb. But nightmares to repair if ever needed.
 
New? In addition to Denon, I'd also check out the Pioneer PL-30-K. Looking for someone to review it around here :D

Vintage? Favorite automatic turntable I have is my Yamaha P-550. Flies under the radar.
 
I was browsing LP Gear and found a P-mount adapter that you can mount a regular cartridge. To the linear tracking guys, has anyone used this and how did it work for you.

I suspect that you have this backwards. These adapters allow you to use a p-mount cartridge in a standard 1/2-inch mount headshell. In a p-mount arm you'll need to use a p-mount cartridge.
 
And the best automatics are unfortunately, vintage. Duals are nice but cartridge mounting arrangements are letdowns, add to that complex mechanisms which are often in need of overhauls, and the late models are too cost cut. And the Denon DP-300 is cost cut, and not a true Denon. The models I recommend from Denon are real Denon.
 
I sent the seller of the Dual CS 5000 an email around noon and I haven't heard back. Looks like the Dual is out of the running.

So far, I'm thinking about the following turntables, but it's not a guarantee...

Denon DP-300F
There's a lot of positive feedback on AK with a lot of happy campers. Cannot remember the member's name, but he's had his for over five years now. The table with an Ortofon 2M Red seems to be a good package to consider.

Pioneer PL-518
Completely restored with a walnut plinth that is pretty thick to help with vibrations and damping.

Technics SL-QL1
For some reason this linear tracking turntable is appealing to me. Condition is almost like new and it weighs over 15lbs. Supposedly one of Technics best, and a few good videos that showcase how good the SQ is for this table. The small size is a big plus.

Just because I have listed these turntables does not mean I'm no longer looking. I am still open to suggestions/recommendations, so please keep them coming.
 
And the best automatics are unfortunately, vintage. Duals are nice but cartridge mounting arrangements are letdowns, add to that complex mechanisms which are often in need of overhauls, and the late models are too cost cut. And the Denon DP-300 is cost cut, and not a true Denon. The models I recommend from Denon are real Denon.

The only turntable you recommended was the Technics SL-1600. So, which Denon(s) would you recommend?
 
The DP-47F was probably the best of the bunch. Are you just looking for a good working automatic turntable or are you looking at cosmetics as a major factor?
 
The Sony PS-X5 is really a plug and play option. It's a table I would get for a non-tinkerer who wants an auto. I never had any problems with it, just put the vinyl on and press the button. The duals and miracords always seem to need some type of work done and require more setup knowledge.

The plinth is massive and is made of some type of composite material that might as well be titanium. There is no suspension but the mass and balloony rubber feet made it less susceptible to footfalls than any other table I had at the time.
 
The new Teac is a manual turntable. I have a manual, but I want an automatic. There's only one new automatic and that's the Denon DP-300F.

That's not true. You can get a new Pioneer automatic, or a new Marantz automatic, a new Audio Technica automatic, even a new Technics SL-BD20 automatic if you look around.
 
And the best automatics are unfortunately, vintage. Duals are nice but cartridge mounting arrangements are letdowns, add to that complex mechanisms which are often in need of overhauls, and the late models are too cost cut. And the Denon DP-300 is cost cut, and not a true Denon. The models I recommend from Denon are real Denon.

Another myth I think. I don't own a Denon, but suspect it's as good as mid level automatics from back in the day.
 
Speaking of Dual, I came across a new Dual DT-350 in a local store a few days ago. Talk about a turntable you can't find any information on the net - it's like it was released and then censored or something. Direct drive and the wood base was actually very nice, tonearm didn't look bad either. Gotta love the new turntable market. Products come and go in a heartbeat. For instance, TDK.
 
The DP-47F was probably the best of the bunch. Are you just looking for a good working automatic turntable or are you looking at cosmetics as a major factor?

I am looking for a good reliable automatic that is also pleasing to the eyes.

That's not true. You can get a new Pioneer automatic, or a new Marantz automatic, a new Audio Technica automatic, even a new Technics SL-BD20 automatic if you look around.

I am fully aware of these models but none that I am interested in.

There's also the Thorens TD-190. I believe it's made by Dual (or what's left of Dual), and I know very little of it aside from its existence.

Most of these new Duals are available in Europe, not in the US. Even though the man behind them was part of Dual back in the day, the new ones are not of the same quality as the old.

Speaking of Dual, I came across a new Dual DT-350 in a local store a few days ago. Talk about a turntable you can't find any information on the net - it's like it was released and then censored or something. Direct drive and the wood base was actually very nice, tonearm didn't look bad either. Gotta love the new turntable market. Products come and go in a heartbeat. For instance, TDK.

See reply above regarding the new Dual turntables.
 
A Denon DP 47F is a recommended buy in nice condition. Most any Denon automatic but their cheapest made to around 1991 is excellent. The Denon DD turntables are excellent as a rule from the 1970's to 1991. Even their T4p mount early efforts perform great.
 
Beogram 4000, 4002, 4004, 6000. Fantastic! I have the 4004 and love it. I would always recommend them as really good automatic players.
 
Back
Top Bottom