• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for audio analyzer and have been told multiple times to go computer software route.

saabracer23

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello all, I’m looking for help and possibly user input. I placed a couple of ads in the BT section looking for an audio analyzer and stated my budget and the only response I got was from a couple of people telling me to go the computer route. They said I’d be able to get in way under my budget and likely get more than a stand alone analyzer that was getting old.

One that was suggested to me by a fellow member was to use a Motu 4 as the sound card, Arta as the software, and then an auto ranger. He suggested one by Jan Didden, but I reached out and that one is no longer available. Another is by a Pete Millet. http://www.pmillett.com/ATEST.htm

This would get me to where I’m looking to go, to start off with is power and THD+N, then maybe frequency linearity. Down side is that I could only measure once channel at a time, but I think I could get around that with a switch that would switch between the dummy loads I’m driving into.

Another option was one I saw being used by a YouTuber that I watch.

968021BC-AED6-4A1F-804E-7594E5B8C5DB.png

He’s using a full setup by Spectra Plus. Seems like a good all in one solution, but once you buy the hardware (SpectraDAQ-200) and the appropriate software you want you’re getting into prices that rival some really nice stand alone analyzers.

What I’d like is easy. I have no problem soldering up a kit if needed, but I can’t do complex computing. My biggest fear in life is an error code on a computer when I’m trying to do something lol. Luckily there are smart folks out there like you all to help walk me through it. I have a healthy budget, but right now with twin babies the less I spend the better.

Any suggestion on what has made you happy and what you think would be a good options. Any and all suggestions welcome, thank you!

Dan
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello all, I’m looking for help and possibly user input. I placed a couple of ads in the BT section looking for an audio analyzer and stated my budget and the only response I got was from a couple of people telling me to go the computer route. They said I’d be able to get in way under my budget and likely get more than a stand alone analyzer that was getting old.

One that was suggested to me by a fellow member was to use a Motu 4 as the sound card, Arta as the software, and then an auto ranger. He suggested one by Jan Didden, but I reached out and that one is no longer available. Another is by a Pete Millet. http://www.pmillett.com/ATEST.htm

This would get me to where I’m looking to go, to start off with is power and THD+N, then maybe frequency linearity. Down side is that I could only measure once channel at a time, but I think I could get around that with a switch that would switch between the dummy loads I’m driving into.

Another option was one I saw being used by a YouTuber that I watch.

View attachment 2778361

He’s using a full setup by Spectra Plus. Seems like a good all in one solution, but once you buy the hardware (SpectraDAQ-200) and the appropriate software you want you’re getting into prices that rival some really nice stand alone analyzers.

What I’d like is easy. I have no problem soldering up a kit if needed, but I can’t do complex computing. My biggest fear in life is an error code on a computer when I’m trying to do something lol. Luckily there are smart folks out there like you all to help walk me through it. I have a healthy budget, but right now with twin babies the less I spend the better.

Any suggestion on what has made you happy and what you think would be a good options. Any and all suggestions welcome, thank you!

Dan
I went through several different hardware solutions. The one I settled on was stupidly expensive, but I like the fact that it does both channels simultaneously. Since most amps are rated at "both channels driven", this appealed to me. Before the one I have I went through the Keithley 2015THD (onboard generator has too high residual distortion), HP8903B (good unit, but I wanted to be able ridiculously low distortion), and tried various soundcard based solutions, on of which I used for spectrum analysis when adjusting FM 19KHz pilot. I think if I was starting out today I would take a hard look at the Quantasylum QA403. It's a computer based system. Like virtually everything else, the price has gone up.

Dan, what's your budget?
 
I went through several different hardware solutions. The one I settled on was stupidly expensive, but I like the fact that it does both channels simultaneously. Since most amps are rated at "both channels driven", this appealed to me. Before the one I have I went through the Keithley 2015THD (onboard generator has too high residual distortion), HP8903B (good unit, but I wanted to be able ridiculously low distortion), and tried various soundcard based solutions, on of which I used for spectrum analysis when adjusting FM 19KHz pilot. I think if I was starting out today I would take a hard look at the Quantasylum QA403. It's a computer based system. Like virtually everything else, the price has gone up.

Dan, what's your budget?

May I ask, what was it that you ended up on/with? I was looking at the HP 8903A and 8903B along with a Panasonic model or two.

I’m thinking that if I can only measure one channel at a time that should be okay as long as I’m still able to drive both channels. Then the results will still be accurate. Then if I can switch channels with a toggle at the load I can get the results of the other channel without swapping wires or anything, leave the output and such where it’s at.

As for budget, I’d like to go no more than $1000, unless whatever is available at slightly more than $1000 is far superior to what is under $1000. Obviously, less is better l, but I don’t want to buy into garbage.

Dan
 
Same here.

Could you give me an idea of what I’d need to get on top of that device? Would I need an attenuator so that I don’t drive high voltages into it? Sound card? I’m curious how it’s different from what I’ve looked at, is it multiple devices in one?

Dan
 
May I ask, what was it that you ended up on/with? I was looking at the HP 8903A and 8903B along with a Panasonic model or two.

I’m thinking that if I can only measure one channel at a time that should be okay as long as I’m still able to drive both channels. Then the results will still be accurate. Then if I can switch channels with a toggle at the load I can get the results of the other channel without swapping wires or anything, leave the output and such where it’s at.

As for budget, I’d like to go no more than $1000, unless whatever is available at slightly more than $1000 is far superior to what is under $1000. Obviously, less is better l, but I don’t want to buy into garbage.

Dan
Panasonic VP-7725D.
 
I'd be all over the QA403 if I was doing it over again. My 8903B has been good to me, but back when I got it you could find good tested units for ~$300, now that they're in the $400-500 range you might as well spend the extra $100 and get the QA403.
 
Could you give me an idea of what I’d need to get on top of that device? Would I need an attenuator so that I don’t drive high voltages into it? Sound card? I’m curious how it’s different from what I’ve looked at, is it multiple devices in one?

Dan
I think @Steven Tate has one of the earlier iterations of the Quantaylum.
 
Panasonic VP-7725D.

I was actually looking at that model, hoping that something just above my budget would hopefully materialize.


I'd be all over the QA403 if I was doing it over again. My 8903B has been good to me, but back when I got it you could find good tested units for ~$300, now that they're in the $400-500 range you might as well spend the extra $100 and get the QA403.

Well I think everyone has convinced me to go after the Quantasylum. I’ll join their email and check their forum daily. Looks like they might open it up to where you can put down a sum of money to put yourself in line and it looks like parts are coming to complete them.

What are the thoughts on the QA403 vs QA404? Looks like slightly better specs for an additional $50. Anything I’m missing, any reason not to get the QA404 over the 403?

Dan
 
I was actually looking at that model, hoping that something just above my budget would hopefully materialize.




Well I think everyone has convinced me to go after the Quantasylum. I’ll join their email and check their forum daily. Looks like they might open it up to where you can put down a sum of money to put yourself in line and it looks like parts are coming to complete them.

What are the thoughts on the QA403 vs QA404? Looks like slightly better specs for an additional $50. Anything I’m missing, any reason not to get the QA404 over the 403?

Dan
For an additional $50 I wouldn't think twice. I've never regretted buying quality tools, but I have lamented buying cheap ones.
 
I think @Steven Tate has one of the earlier iterations of the Quantaylum.
Yes, I have a QA401 and use it regularly. My biggest complaint with the unit is the lack of instructions for taking audio measurements. Setting up the parameters of a test is not intuitive. But I spent a lot of time talking to a QA engineer, and with his help, I put together a little primer that helps get the ball rolling. I have no experience with the QA403 or QA404, but I can only assume they are much improved products over the one I have. One of the best things about the computer based system compared to a stand alone hardware analyzer is the ability to get graphs of many kinds. I use the Power vs THD graph all the time. If anything is not right in an amp, it will usually be very obvious on that graph.
 
Yes, I have a QA401 and use it regularly. My biggest complaint with the unit is the lack of instructions for taking audio measurements. Setting up the parameters of a test is not intuitive. But I spent a lot of time talking to a QA engineer, and with his help, I put together a little primer that helps get the ball rolling. I have no experience with the QA403 or QA404, but I can only assume they are much improved products over the one I have. One of the best things about the computer based system compared to a stand alone hardware analyzer is the ability to get graphs of many kinds. I use the Power vs THD graph all the time. If anything is not right in an amp, it will usually be very obvious on that graph.

Thank you for posting. Well I’m on their email list and plan on checking the forum daily. There was a message stating that payment for the QA404 should be made available within a couple months. So guess I’ll see what happens.

Dan
 
Looked through the QA web site. Can't find a thing about a QA404, only the 403 model.

I have enjoyed using a PicoScope 2206. It appears to be replaced by a 2207 model.
 
ARTA is very useful software and will do a lot of stuff, and it's free. All you need is an audio interface such as the ones sold for home studio recording and you're good to go.
Consider something like this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_2i2_3rd_gen.htm
+1 for the Scarlett. While the link doesn't show it, the THD+N specs are excellent:

MICROPHONE INPUTS
Frequency Response
20Hz - 20kHz ± 0.1dB
Dynamic Range
111dB (A-weighted)
THD+N
<0.0012%

Noise EIN
-128dBu (A-weighted)
Maximum Input Level
9dBu (at minimum gain)
Gain Range
56dB
Impedance
3kΩ
LINE INPUTS
Frequency Response
20Hz - 20kHz ± 0.1dB
Dynamic Range
110.5dB (A-weighted)
THD+N
<0.002%

Maximum Input Level
22dBu (at minimum gain)
Gain Range
56dB
Impedance
60kΩ
 
ARTA is very useful software and will do a lot of stuff, and it's free. All you need is an audio interface such as the ones sold for home studio recording and you're good to go.
Consider something like this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_scarlett_2i2_3rd_gen.htm
The problem with software driven solutions is that they are limited by the distortion ratings of the sound card, which are usually not very good. You may get some stats, but they might not be very trustworthy.
 
Back
Top Bottom