• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for audio analyzer and have been told multiple times to go computer software route.

Thank you. I've got the NI version.
Unfortunately, the Veepro 501 runtime program won't execute on my laptop; is yours running an old Windows version?
 
OK, just downloaded the current 9.33 version which installed correctly but apparently doesn't want to run any of the modules - Instrument Explorer, IO Monitor, or Interactive IO. It's supposed to run on Win 10, but perhaps an earlier version of veepro would function on my older Win 10 machine. Any insights would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Greg
 
I couldn’t get it to work on my new wind 10 pc either. I had to get wind 7 pro and now it works. If you told me how to copy a hard drive I’d be happy to do it for you. It’s what I had someone do for me to get mine to work.
 
Uh oh. About what I feared. That is a kind offer but can't downgrade my current laptop OS to run this one program. I just gave away all of my older Windows computers - 5 laptops and a desktop. Of course!

Wondering if maybe V7 or 8 of Veepro might work with Win 10, but can't find a copy to download and try.
 
Good point. The ones I gave away were free :rflmao:

I actually got it installed and it starts when I start one of Pete's programs, but then states there is no driver for the audio analyzer, and it must be installed. It also indicated the IO libraries had to be installed, which was strange because I already have them installed for my Keysight DMM and Benchvue software. After downloading the new library, I was able to download the drivers from Keysight for the 8903a/b and install them, but the driver missing message recurs.

Might have to get an old laptop and run the earlier runtime version. So close, yet...
 
One thing I always forget with the hp8903 is to use only positive lead for measuring. The last measurements I took today I used both and consequently probably had higher measurements. So I put a big reminder label on the face saying “use positive leads only” lol.
 
I don't understand this.

Do you have an 8903A or 'B'?
It’s for either they had a special adapter that basically didn’t use the negative lead of your Hp input leads to the load resistor (in lieu of measuring across the resistor). I don’t know any more than that. So I just hook up the positive clip lead and I recall obtaining a better reading.
 
I've tried most of the solutions mentioned here, but not all. I've made videos on many of them. The QA was a PITA to be honest. After hundreds of hours, maybe thousands, using various solutions and trying others, I keep coming back to my 8903B for daily use. The 8903B, simple and quick measurements to let you know if you have an issue. I agree with what someone else said about not using these as a scientific way to say this amp is better than that, instead a good way to see if you have an issue in the chain somewhere. The 8903B excels at this as its quick and dirty and always on. A side note: The Tek TM series modules are the same as far as ease of use (AA5001 and AA501 w/ SG501 or similar generator), I'd put them as equal to the 8903B other than no Pete Millet software support, which I've quit using as Windows has progressed.

The software driven route with the focusrite or similar can be fun and the sweeps are nice but honestly, I use a the software from Thestuffmade on youtube and an digilent AD2 unit. Super cheap route that yields good results, freq sweeps, etc. Not R&S level accuracy but for the average bench tech trying to chase down noise, distortion, and rolloff issues, its great. I've made videos on this as well.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd get an 8903B, get it up to spec and then pick a cheap software route for sweeps, graphs, etc. Can't go wrong with the combo of the two.
 
Last edited:
Similar to @Blueglow, I find my 8903b the quickest, easiest to use for checking operation of repaired or suspect equipment, and it can be quite accurate with the built-in oscillator, or even better with an ultra-low distortion oscillator I often use. One excellent recent example: after finishing a small repair and re-cap of an APT 1 amplifier, the load of the HP 8903b would cycle the protection/speaker relay circuit. That helped me immediately realize there was a problem, so I next switched to my HP 339A which allowed me to see that the amp was producing excessive distortion. After pulling the output transistors, I found them to be wildly out of spec and match. After replacing all of them with matched sets, I used both instruments and found the distortion down two orders of magnitude.

Yes, the other solutions would have identified excessive distortion, but these two instruments are quick and easy to use. Unfortunately, I still can't get Pete Millet's and the Veepro software to work on my laptop, so I'm considering buying an old Win7 machine for this and some other old test software.

I believe the AA5001, AA501 and SG501 are Tektronix gear, not HP - they fit into mainframe chassis.
 
Similar to @Blueglow, I find my 8903b the quickest, easiest to use for checking operation of repaired or suspect equipment, and it can be quite accurate with the built-in oscillator, or even better with an ultra-low distortion oscillator I often use. One excellent recent example: after finishing a small repair and re-cap of an APT 1 amplifier, the load of the HP 8903b would cycle the protection/speaker relay circuit. That helped me immediately realize there was a problem, so I next switched to my HP 339A which allowed me to see that the amp was producing excessive distortion. After pulling the output transistors, I found them to be wildly out of spec and match. After replacing all of them with matched sets, I used both instruments and found the distortion down two orders of magnitude.

Yes, the other solutions would have identified excessive distortion, but these two instruments are quick and easy to use. Unfortunately, I still can't get Pete Millet's and the Veepro software to work on my laptop, so I'm considering buying an old Win7 machine for this and some other old test software.

I believe the AA5001, AA501 and SG501 are Tektronix gear, not HP - they fit into mainframe chassis.
Funny I had a similar experience. I had someone bring over their recapped unit to find it had excessive distortion to also find that they had installed some e-caps backwards! Replacing them reduced the percentage! I can’t say I haven’t made errors on my builds, it happens almost every time which is important to check your work, and this is a great tool for it after the visual checks. I think it’s funny most people shun the “a” version but my “a” works better than my “b”.
 
Yes, these tools are really useful. My example was not an error in repair, but a "head in the sand" desire not to test the output transistors before re-installing them after doing the other work. That itself was a good lesson. A second APT amp I am working on also has output transistors that are way out of match and spec, so they have new, matched replacement waiting for the other work to get done.

What about your 8903A works better than your B? My switch was from the 8903B to my 339A - earlier analog instrument that works extremely well for the more limited tests it performs.
 
Yes, these tools are really useful. My example was not an error in repair, but a "head in the sand" desire not to test the output transistors before re-installing them after doing the other work. That itself was a good lesson. A second APT amp I am working on also has output transistors that are way out of match and spec, so they have new, matched replacement waiting for the other work to get done.

What about your 8903A works better than your B? My switch was from the 8903B to my 339A - earlier analog instrument that works extremely well for the more limited tests it performs.
Lower distortion generator
 
Back
Top Bottom