• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for gear to restore to save the earth - but only JBL Western Electric Marantz, ...

Register to hide this ad
Surely the 'greener' thing to do would be to salvage all the low-fi and mid-fi gear that litters landfills more, no?

His listing is the equivalent of saying 'We shouldn't be wasteful with our food, so much uneaten food goes into the trash. Please donate your Kobe beef and your filet mignon to me.' LOL
 
WHY: For me personally, besides the FUN of it, being a hobby that keeps me alive during grad school there is a key factor to it, the GREEN factor. Many of these pieces are historic and well worth restoring, but often end up in dumps or donated to thrifts where they are disposed of. We keep harvesting earth (metals, wood, labor), when plenty of this things are still usable and SOUND and LOOK great! To me, this a shame and we can fix it. Much like our clothing and housewares, there is life these things can have, with proper care.

Thanks for reading!

I'm looking for things like JBL's, ALTEC, Ampex, Western Electric, Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, Bozak, Luxman, etc

GUUogYM.jpg
 
isRelative is right. If you wanted to save the earth the best stuff to restore would be Yorx and Soundesign stuff. There is a lot of it around.
 
Response:
"My dad died about twenty years ago and left a couple of those heavy old Western Electronic bulb amp things out in the garage, but we can't afford to pay you anything to haul them away and dispose of them properly."
Then get creative with the contact info.
 
We have a few local oddballs. One fellow scours CL garage sale ads and arrives the night before the sale and tells the sellers that he has a handicapped daughter. I have been to two sales where I am the first to arrive and the records don't match the photos in the ads. Both times it was him who purchased the best ones the evening before the sale began.

Another time I went to an early garage sale in a cul-de-sac. We were the first to arrive. The sale started at 7 a.m. There was no parking in the cul-de-sac so we had to park almost a block away. It was a hard walk up a steep hill to the house and as we were walking up another car arrived and two guys jumped out and started running up the hill towards us. Well they didn't make it far before they were both gagging from lack of air and were stopped doubled over. One guy went back down to the car and started it and came up the hill and his buddy jumped on the hood and they drove up the hill just as we got to the top. The guy on the hood jumped off and bolted past us and ran to the house and knocked on the front door. The advert said clearly not to knock on the front door because it was the owners door but knock only the rear door where the tenant lived who was having the sale. So while the other shopper was waiting for a response at the front door we went to the proper door and we were the first in. I scored a Pro-Linear AT1600 in excellent condition for a good price but then he arrived and pleaded with the seller to consider his handicapped daughter. The seller already had my money but actually started to second guess the sale in favour of the other buyer. I said 'hey I was first and besides that other guy knocked on the front door" and that sealed the deal in my favor. The seller was pretty peed off at that.

Last week there was an ad for a box of free records. I texted a reply and the other person responded asking if I could come early the next morning. I said "you bet" and was sent the address. About an hour later I received a text stating that the fellow with the handicapped daughter had begged for the records and the owner relented and let him come over that evening to pick them up.

I'm not sure if the girl actually exists but if she does she must have the best darn record collection in the city.
 
It's just marketing. He didn't lie about anything (that I noticed). Much ado about nothing.

Marketing is fine, but conveniently leaving out information that all the brands he listed can potentially be worth a lot of money - is that lying? Or just taking advantage of ignorant sellers?
 
If someone tells me that they are looking for such and such, I will do a bit of research to protect my own interests. That said, no, I could never feel good about giving a private seller pennies for something that I know was worth a lot of money. I have told people at yard sales "this is valuable" and had them answer "put it on eBay then, I can't be bothered". Then my conscience is clear.
 
Im thinking if this idea really works I should change my WTB ads on CL to this format.

Hey maybe it actually works :)

Edit:I emailed him and asked if he had gotten any responses. I told him I liked his method and asked if it worked. We will see if he responds
 
Im thinking if this idea really works I should change my WTB ads on CL to this format.

Hey maybe it actually works :)

Sure - actually you can post different versions to see which one generates more calls. That's how they test marketing strategies....
 
Marketing is fine, but conveniently leaving out information that all the brands he listed can potentially be worth a lot of money - is that lying? Or just taking advantage of ignorant sellers?


"Many of these pieces are historic and well worth restoring,"

He's giving plenty of info to start with. He could have said that all that gear was junk and worthless.
 
Sure - actually you can post different versions to see which one generates more calls. That's how they test marketing strategies....
Ah true good idea.

I actually offer people realistic prices based off of ebay completed sales etc. I find that most of the people that contact me want more than what their equipment is worth
 
It's an interesting push to get some nice gear. I understand his angle but at the same time laugh as many people around here don't give anything away regardless of what it is. We also have a large set of stores that specialize in vintage audio, "
TMRaudio, Gold Sound, etc.. so most of the time they snag up everything. Anymore I just look around at yard sales or sometimes at the flea market for some stuff. It's getting harder and harder to find things especially with shows and the mid modern movement, so finding a deal is actually really rewarding.
 
Wow, some of you are a bunch of haters. Some of you are okay.

It's my ad. I am going through grad school. I think it would be a fun project to try this year since I have one day open a week (homework and play). I believe in saving worthwhile Items is indeed greening (and art), I'm just one guy though.

Why did I write it? Because there are like 20 other posts of shady shameless flippers in the area who have similar posts and who don't share their finds with anyone nor play nice (I know several and so do you all). I figured I'd have a different approach.

If you have limited time, you go through the good stuff. If you can only save a JBL or a AIWA from the dumpster you save?...the one with historical value. Then maybe you sell it to people who may appreciate it.

I ask if you care to sell or donate, yet you make it sound like I'm stealing. I'm not, plenty of the people in this thread sell tons of stuff themselves, easy to hate y'all. Look at the stick in your own eye. You too can write your own WTB ad, it's free!

The main reason I did not put that I'd make referrals was fear I'd be spending my whole day writing emails back to folks, answering questions. I'll be honest, but I'm not advertising a free 'appraising and referral system' This is not a full time job, it's a hobby that could eventually turn into a non-profit (the work I've done for 15 years with high risk populations), since I know how to establish and run one. This one could be fun for a change and probably hire some of the AKers as techs and board people. Wouldn't that be a trip. But these attitudes, ughhh, no vision and so jaded.

For those that care. I've gotten no responses because I only posted one in WTB and Electronics without over posting about 2 days ago.

Carry on with the bs.
 
Back
Top Bottom