• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for Mentors to fix a DOA CA-800

Suggest you make up an excel or similiar to keep track. @avionic and @petehall347 have provided some good insight into some
faulty parts. Sample below is for a CA-1000, you your own colour scheme, break it down on board level. Learn how to read the
schematic, not that difficult, it's just a logical connection diagram, signal flow left to right, broken down on board level. Know
the location/names of the boards. Service manual/screen print may contain errors
Demo.jpeg
 
Thank you - I ordered the transistor tester as suggested - what do you think about this model for a multimeter? I remember seeing someone recommending one that had a scale on the unit - cant find now - here is the one I'm looking at - EEVblog Brymen BM235 Multimeter -
 
The transistor tester (Mega328) should cover your immediate needs for
transistor/diode testing, hfe, capacitance and inductance measurement.
You don't need to double up on these functions on the MM. I'm not familiar
with the MM mentioned however they are expensive. Since you are just
starting out I would suggest a $20-$40 disposable unit, maybe keep 1-2
years that you can quickly measure/ballpark dc voltage and resistance.
Suggest also getting some mini-grabbers, at least 3 for transistor
testing, aligator clips are risky.
 
sorry i wasn't clear .. i meant check voltage of new batteries with probes to see if meter far out of calibration or not .
 
Back
Top Bottom