• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for preamp for MC2505

wikksmith

New Member
About to buy restored C28 to match up with a MC2505, but now considering the C504. Different vintage, but I like the simplicity and the smaller size would be easier to work into my system.
Any suggestions on best preamp to go with the MC2505?
Thanks,
wikksmith
 
Register to hide this ad
There's no McIntosh preamplifier I can think of that would not work with the MC2505. It's high input impedance of 200,000 ohm is compatible with any McIntosh preamplifier/tuner-preamplifier including the earliest tube models.

Ideal cosmetic match would be the C26 or C28. If you like FM, I'd choose the MX113. MX117 would also be a great choice is you're not overly worried about matching periods.
 
A restored C28 would make for a fine choice for that amp. I had that very combo many years ago. That was a great sounding preamp with many useful features. Mac sold a lot of that very combo for good reason.
 
A restored C28 would make for a fine choice for that amp. I had that very combo many years ago. That was a great sounding preamp with many useful features. Mac sold a lot of that very combo for good reason.

Thanks for all comments!
Agree on the cosmetics of the C26 and C28 but I see many complains about the C26 being "noisy" and volume control issues with both units. Serious problems if properly maintained?
No votes for the C504?
 
Thanks for all comments!
Agree on the cosmetics of the C26 and C28 but I see many complains about the C26 being "noisy" and volume control issues with both units. Serious problems if properly maintained?
No votes for the C504?
Nothing at all wrong with the C504.
 
There is nothing wrong with c504 I am currently using one with a mc2505 and a mc2105 bi amped. It has an excellent phono stage. I know it's not from the same era but results are still great
 
Thanks for input. I really like the compact size of the C504. The C28 looks great, but has features I would never use and a lot of potentiometers to maintain.
Too many choices!
 
I have used mine with a C-22, C-28, C-29, C-34, MX 119, MX 120 and Now with a MX 151 and C-34. I would probably choose the C-712 if you want a smaller pre-amp with a remote control. Yes a C-28 has control issues. More modern pre-amps with reed switching don't. The only issue I have consistently with my c-34 is the balance control, that needs cleaning every couple of months.. Take off the two knobs, use some spray cleaner and I am good to go. Look at the signal to noise specs on the 712. It also has gold connectors which extends reliability for sure.
 
The C504 uses FET input switching like the C33 and C34V. It also has the very nice Noble stepped volume control. I completely restored one a few years ago. Very simple internally and easy to work on.
 
I have used mine with a C-22, C-28, C-29, C-34, MX 119, MX 120 and Now with a MX 151 and C-34. I would probably choose the C-712 if you want a smaller pre-amp with a remote control. Yes a C-28 has control issues. More modern pre-amps with reed switching don't. The only issue I have consistently with my c-34 is the balance control, that needs cleaning every couple of months.. Take off the two knobs, use some spray cleaner and I am good to go. Look at the signal to noise specs on the 712. It also has gold connectors which extends reliability for sure.
I'll look at the 712.
 
If you're open to Tuner Preamps, I'd add the MX110 to the list as I really like mine with the MC2505 (and my MC 50 mono blocks for that matter)
 
Back
Top Bottom