• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

looking for reasonable reliable car

Beware of CVT's as they are throw away so big $ to replace. Accord 4cyl can have oil burning issues and so can V6 ones with Multi Displacement (will run as a 3 cyl) There have also been Auto Trans problems in some years.
 
I agree with the pro-Japanese crowd....they`re screwed together properly, and usually require about as much maintenance as a shovel. Honda Accord, Camry, Altima, Maxima, all good. We took over my father-in-law`s `09 Sonata when the doctors told him to quit driving a few years back, and that has proven to be extremely reliable as well.
Happy Hunting !
 
A car that has a drive train with a little over 10,000 miles should be a parts car. If you find another '08 Malibu that needs a good drive train and interior for a couple hundred bucks. It's just a complete swap and a shop won't charge that much to swap out the engine and tranny. If it were my son he'd be swapping it out himself after he bought a junk Malibu that needed an engine. Boys take care of what they buy with their own money. Kids just don't take care of what you give them....not like how they take care of what they buy with their own money !
Problem is the insurance company takes the car and sell for scrap. They might offer it to you to buy from them but its figured into whether the pay to fix or total. Also my son doesn't have the skillset to swap engine and tranny.
 
My old CRV died in September and I needed a car REAL quick - got a 2012 Honda Fit 5sp.
Seems reliable, robust, peppy but not too much horsepower. I think a slightly older one would fall in your price range.
Surprising large load space in the back (like the best of the 90s Honda Civic hatchbacks).
Gas mileage seems good - with a bit of care I get 30ish. And on non-interstate trips doing 50-65, I have done 36mpg ...
Got front and side airbags
 
Just bought my 15 year old son who has a school permit a 2006 Ford Focus. Clean one owner with 82,000 miles. Hopefully it'll last a few years.... I spent months looking, anything under $5,000 is a crap shoot. Get something simple, preferably one owner with low miles and a service history. They're out there, just have to look.
 
My old CRV died in September and I needed a car REAL quick - got a 2012 Honda Fit 5sp.
Seems reliable, robust, peppy but not too much horsepower. I think a slightly older one would fall in your price range.
Surprising large load space in the back (like the best of the 90s Honda Civic hatchbacks).
Gas mileage seems good - with a bit of care I get 30ish. And on non-interstate trips doing 50-65, I have done 36mpg ...
Got front and side airbags

Oh, great tip! My brother has one. It's bigger in the inside than it is on the outside!

He's a schoolteacher who plays in a band so economy, reliability and capacity were his three big focus areas.
 
useto, your tip is the bomb, or may I suggest Schwinn or CCM ,lol.Dont forget the Pontiac sunfire.Can be had cheap,lots of parts around ,reliable and not too powerful as to get you in trouble .
 
A used Hyundai Sonata '06 on up. Powerful (4 cyl. or V6). Safe, efficient and reliable. I have a 2006 V6 that I bought new @ 105k and it's running strong.

I like the bigger/safer size of a mid-sized cars as opposed to the compact Corolla's, Civic's, Elantra's etc.
 
Last edited:
Just bought my 15 year old son who has a school permit a 2006 Ford Focus. Clean one owner with 82,000 miles. Hopefully it'll last a few years.... I spent months looking, anything under $5,000 is a crap shoot. Get something simple, preferably one owner with low miles and a service history. They're out there, just have to look.

Yep. I drive a 2003 wagon I bought with 114,000 on it for $3500 and now it has 213,000 on it 4 years later, still runs strong, and gets 28 mpg with an automatic. My daughter has a 2003 also I bought on my car's performance and it hasn't let me down either. I do my own work for the most part and it has required some routine maintenance parts, but I recommend Foci to any one looking for inexpensive reliable transportation.

Plus, it handles very well and is fun to drive.
 
You can never go wrong with a pickup. Limits how many distractions (people) can be hauled around, and great for moving to college, switching apartments, etc.
 
Yep. I drive a 2003 wagon I bought with 114,000 on it for $3500 and now it has 213,000 on it 4 years later, still runs strong, and gets 28 mpg with an automatic. My daughter has a 2003 also I bought on my car's performance and it hasn't let me down either. I do my own work for the most part and it has required some routine maintenance parts, but I recommend Foci to any one looking for inexpensive reliable transportation.

Plus, it handles very well and is fun to drive.

Nice, the other benefit was its small size. Makes it easy for him to park! This one also had optional side impact air bags.....
 
Oh, great tip! My brother has one. It's bigger in the inside than it is on the outside!

He's a schoolteacher who plays in a band so economy, reliability and capacity were his three big focus areas.

"Its bigger on the inside .."
I got license plate frames Fr & Back that say exactly that ... ( a Doctor Who fan, eh?)

20160806-Honda-Fit.jpg
 
Last edited:
The Corolla is a wonderful car. They had a problem starting in 2000 with the engine using oil. I think it took a few years for Toyota to fix it. So stay away from the older ones. I don't think the Camry had this problem.
 
Bigger cars are much safer in an accident so consider that also and RWD to me is the best for reliability,
less chance of getting written off in an accident, and easier low cost repairs/service. More fun to drive also!

RWD is also safer on slippery roads as it's usually very much easier to get back under control than FWD.

That's why the US Goverment mandated stability control on all vehicles in around 2011-12. It's been around since the 90's on many hi-end cars.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom