• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for receiver suggestions, 50wpc, under $300, 70's styling

DonP1

Active Member
I'm looking for a receiver under $300, around 50wpc.

I picked up a Realistic STA-47 (12wpc) and was really impressed. I like the mid 70's stuff.

I'm currently looking at Realistic STA-95 and STA-90. The 2080 and 2000 are likely out of my price range.

2280 and 2380 are cheaper, but are 10 years newer, and I'm afraid won't sound as good. I like the tuner presets, but read they could have issues.

I'm curious what other stuff is out there similar to the STA-95 or STA-90 in looks and power.

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
If you like the Realistic stuff the STA 2000 / 2100 is a good choice that should be right about your budget limit in good to excellent condition.
 
Any number of Pioneer receivers might work out for you, and they are plentiful. Models SX-828, SX-838, SX-750, and SX-780 are all examples.
 
I'm looking for a receiver under $300, around 50wpc.

I picked up a Realistic STA-47 (12wpc) and was really impressed. I like the mid 70's stuff.

I'm currently looking at Realistic STA-95 and STA-90. The 2080 and 2000 are likely out of my price range.

2280 and 2380 are cheaper, but are 10 years newer, and I'm afraid won't sound as good. I like the tuner presets, but read they could have issues.

I'm curious what other stuff is out there similar to the STA-95 or STA-90 in looks and power.

Thanks.

I've had the STA-90 and the STA-960 (which h is identical to the STA-95). The STA-90 is a far better built and (imo) sounding unit. I would put it against a comparable Pioneer, which I've also owned. The STA-90 was made in Japan, the STA-95 in Singapore. You're correct about the STA-2280 as not sounding as good...also had one of them as well. The Onkyo TX2500ll is another good choice in that power/price range. Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
Samsung made a nice receiver to compete with the Pioneer SX750/850. Really nice units. Gorgeous. And always about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the equivalent Pioneer.

Another really cool option is a little Amp/Tuner Combo like the Sony TA 88 / ST88. Tres Chic.
 
I've had the STA-90 and the STA-960 (which h is identical to the STA-95). The STA-90 is a far better built and (imo) sounding unit. I would put it against a comparable Pioneer, which I've also owned. The STA-90 was made in Japan, the STA-95 in Singapore. You're correct about the STA-2280 as not sounding as good...also had one of them as well. The Onkyo TX2500ll is another good choice in that power/price range. Hope this helps.

Thanks, that is some good information. I like some of the features of the STA-90, but thought the STA-95 had a little better styling. I'd go with the 90 because I'm happy with the STA-47 (same vintage?).
These are killer and have the best phono stage of any of the vintage receivers.
http://www.audioclassic.org/blog/onkyo-tx-4500-mkii-stereo-receiver

I never looked at Onkyo before. Both these tuners look great. I'll have to do more research.
 
Are you married to a receiver, or are integrated amps also under consideration?

I'm not usually one to suggest equipment I haven't either owned or personal experience with, and I've only owned one receiver. It is a pretty nice one but above your budget I'm afraid.

With the above in mind a schveet Kenwood integrated could certainly fill the bill. If AM/FM are a must it's easy enough to add a tuner later. The Kenwood KA-7100 has a bit more power than you're looking for at 65watts but what are a few watts between friends lol. These show up regularly on eBay within budget so shouldn't have any issue getting a pristine example.

Purchased one new in 78, great amp that I sold in 91 to fund a new setup because I told my wife I would, what a dumb ass. Missed it over the yrs so a few yrs ago I purchased the similar powered KA-7300 and matching KT-7300 tuner.

Here's the KA-7100 and the KT-7500 tuner in wood cases.
Screenshot_20190610-230238.png

Here are the two pieces I mentioned but without cases, the KA & KT-7300 with the matching rack handles if you like that look.
20190428_112313.jpg
 
Are you married to a receiver, or are integrated amps also under consideration?

I'm not usually one to suggest equipment I haven't either owned or personal experience with, and I've only owned one receiver. It is a pretty nice one but above your budget I'm afraid.

With the above in mind a schveet Kenwood integrated could certainly fill the bill. If AM/FM are a must it's easy enough to add a tuner later. The Kenwood KA-7100 has a bit more power than you're looking for at 65watts but what are a few watts between friends lol. These show up regularly on eBay within budget so shouldn't have any issue getting a pristine example.

Purchased one new in 78, great amp that I sold in 91 to fund a new setup because I told my wife I would, what a dumb ass. Missed it over the yrs so a few yrs ago I purchased the similar powered KA-7300 and matching KT-7300 tuner.

Here's the KA-7100 and the KT-7500 tuner in wood cases.
View attachment 1533207

Here are the two pieces I mentioned but without cases, the KA & KT-7300 with the matching rack handles if you like that look.
View attachment 1533196

Yes, I'm open to that type of setup. Right now the SCA-47 is taking over duties while I consider rebuilding my Dynaco SCA-35. The Dynaco works great, but I've already bought Dave G's boards and all the other parts. What to do LOL!
 
There are many good choices out there. I think a Pioneer SX-737 at about 35 watts per channel sounds better than an SX-750. The SX-750 isn't bad either.
Yep, Pioneers are tried and true. The thing I like about them is lot's of support.
 
Another twist to what I'm looking for. Do you guys consider reliability? I know capacitors have a limited life, but are some brands more "bullet proof" than others? Brands that may have used beefier components. Ones that you haven't had lots of failures with. Brands to avoid?

I guess I need to consider brands that sell more may seem to have higher rates of failure just because there may be more of them out there.

Thanks!
 
Thanks, that is some good information. I like some of the features of the STA-90, but thought the STA-95 had a little better styling. I'd go with the 90 because I'm happy with the STA-47 (same vintage?).


I never looked at Onkyo before. Both these tuners look great. I'll have to do more research.

The STA-95 is a couple years newer than the STA-90 but the 90 is a far better built and sounding piece. The 960/95 I had was thin and unimpressive whereas the 90 sounded very much like the Pioneers of the era. I would take a Japanese made unit over Korean or Singapore made any day.
 
Another twist to what I'm looking for. Do you guys consider reliability? I know capacitors have a limited life, but are some brands more "bullet proof" than others? Brands that may have used beefier components. Ones that you haven't had lots of failures with. Brands to avoid?

I guess I need to consider brands that sell more may seem to have higher rates of failure just because there may be more of them out there.

Thanks!
thye all bought was on the shelf at the time....there are turkey parts that show up in many machines across many brands...you could say each dog has different fleas.
 
The STA-95 is a couple years newer than the STA-90 but the 90 is a far better built and sounding piece. The 960/95 I had was thin and unimpressive whereas the 90 sounded very much like the Pioneers of the era. I would take a Japanese made unit over Korean or Singapore made any day.
Thanks! That settles that decision. So right now I'm looking for something "better than" the Realistic STA-90, my current top choice from this brand. I'm looking at Pioneers, Marantz, Kenwood, Onkyo, Sansui, anyone else?

Still trying to get around 50wpc and a budget of $300. Likely with be driving 4 speakers in a 12'x14' bedroom.
 
Some of the usual suspects. 40 to 60 watts.

Lafayette LR-3500
P2210021.JPG

Lafayette LT-1500TA
P2210026.JPG

Pioneer SX-1000TW
P2210006 (1).JPG

Sony STR-6065
P2210018.JPG

JVC-vr5551
P2210017.JPG

Sherwood S-8900a
P3120001.JPG

Realistic STA-120b
P5090001.JPG

Magnavox 1500
P2160002 (1).JPG

Heath AR1500A
P2210002 (1).JPG
 
Some of the usual suspects. 40 to 60 watts.

Great post, but makes me remember a "bias" I have which I don't know if I should have. I've been trying to avoid models with slider/fader controls because I've got the idea they are harder to clean and replace compared to pots. Should I keep this bias? I've specifically avoided Realistic models with sliders/faders.
 
Back
Top Bottom