• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking for receiver suggestions, 50wpc, under $300, 70's styling

Most excellent. Now you can post a wanted to buy ad for the gear you want and maybe find a bunch close to you to help you get going.

No fees, signed up for a year, it can kill a budget with all the gear offered.

If you know brands post em, but if you just want what you mention in this thread state that an d you will see some offers.
 
There is a section at AK called Completed Barter Town Sales. You could check that out to see what has sold recently. I believe that there was a Pioneer SX-737 that sold recently for a fair price.

Thank you for becoming a subscriber.
 
I also didn't like the fact there was no mention of the condition, so I talked with the seller. He said it was tested and had no issues.

I was hoping that was the case.:thumbsup:
My wish list anymore is very small. The Onkyo TX 8500MkII is one of them.
 
That is why I say to post a wtd and get folks to look at what they have, even fully refurbed units, but they generally cost more because of all the work put into them.
 
I was hoping that was the case.:thumbsup:
My wish list anymore is very small. The Onkyo TX 8500MkII is one of them.

It's one of my favorites.

How rare are the 8500? Hen's teeth?

That is why I say to post a wtd and get folks to look at what they have, even fully refurbed units, but they generally cost more because of all the work put into them.

Understood. For now I'm happy with my purchases and plan on doing the work myself, which means I need more education which is why I paid the $25 membership here - I hope to get educated on keeping these receivers in good working condition. I plan on buying tools so I may put up a WTB for a scope, ESR meter, etc.
 
How rare are the 8500? Hen's teeth?



Understood. For now I'm happy with my purchases and plan on doing the work myself, which means I need more education which is why I paid the $25 membership here - I hope to get educated on keeping these receivers in good working condition. I plan on buying tools so I may put up a WTB for a scope, ESR meter, etc.
Pretty rare mavbe 2 or 3 a year show up on ebay.You want the 8500mk.II that's 160 watts/channel they're going for around $800.A nice one,still under valued.onkyotx8500-A.jpg
 
DonP1
To get a receiver for the lowest cost you must find them and be the only or first customer. You have to find a seller than does not know the market value of what his is selling or does not want to go to the effort of getting market value at eBay etc,

That means cruising Craigslist and going to thrifts like SA and of course garage and estate sales. But with everyone having access to the internet, they can check eBay, etc. and find values much easier than several years ago. Even so the prices at these sources will be better than eBay with lots of buyers for fewer sellers. Your desire for a moderate watt receiver makes it much easier than wanting a 100 watt/ch job. Ten to fifteen years ago I was able to buy 4 receivers of over 100 watt/ch for less than $50 each in a much smaller market than Cincinnati but than was then and not now. We are in the digital age and information is readily available to all.

Charlie
 
There are tons of units fitting your budget.

This is a Technics SA 5560 with 85wpc that I snagged off of eBay for way under your budget. The models between 65 to 90 wpc are the sweet spot for price vs power. When you get to the "Monsters" (100wpc or more) the price triples or more. This Technics and my Sansui G5700 (75wpc) are ass kickers by most any measure. Both of them needed nothing more than a deep clean inside and out.

Dont worry about brands too much, worry about condition. Stay under 80 watts or so and there will be a lot to choose from......but you have to look every day to catch the good deals.

20190722_194012.jpg
 
DonP1
To get a receiver for the lowest cost you must find them and be the only or first customer. You have to find a seller than does not know the market value of what his is selling or does not want to go to the effort of getting market value at eBay etc,

That means cruising Craigslist and going to thrifts like SA and of course garage and estate sales. But with everyone having access to the internet, they can check eBay, etc. and find values much easier than several years ago. Even so the prices at these sources will be better than eBay with lots of buyers for fewer sellers. Your desire for a moderate watt receiver makes it much easier than wanting a 100 watt/ch job. Ten to fifteen years ago I was able to buy 4 receivers of over 100 watt/ch for less than $50 each in a much smaller market than Cincinnati but than was then and not now. We are in the digital age and information is readily available to all.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie.

For the main system I ended up getting an Onkyo TX-4500 MKII on ebay. It cost me $160 delivered. It is in great shape other than lights, which I plan to go LED with. I've seen them on CL for $300, and at a swap meet for $75 (a MK1 - possible issues).

I'm still playing with the Fisher 504 I picked up on CL because I "got frustrated and just wanted something". I was the first customer (sucker? LOL!). It's a monster but interesting to work on and learn on. Having issues getting all 4 channels to work (dirty switches), needs a few lights and the FM strength meter doesn't work.

For my small system, I got a $15 Realistic STA-47 with 2 cheap plastic speakers. This was the "good deal" I lucked into being the first customer. Sounds great powering 4 speakers in a bedroom, but needs lights like the Onkyo.

The issue now is what's next?
 
There are tons of units fitting your budget.

This is a Technics SA 5560 with 85wpc that I snagged off of eBay for way under your budget. The models between 65 to 90 wpc are the sweet spot for price vs power. When you get to the "Monsters" (100wpc or more) the price triples or more. This Technics and my Sansui G5700 (75wpc) are ass kickers by most any measure. Both of them needed nothing more than a deep clean inside and out.

Dont worry about brands too much, worry about condition. Stay under 80 watts or so and there will be a lot to choose from......but you have to look every day to catch the good deals.

View attachment 1570465

Maybe my budget was a bit aggressive at $300. It ended up being $200 was my limit, and I was still $40 under that.

I may find my way to upgrading to higher power systems as deals present themselves, but at the moment all my amps and speakers fill the rooms, so I'm satisfied at the moment.
 
Another point to consider are units from the next decade or so. While it may not be a nice, big, silver 70's receiver, at least a few models from the late 80's to early 90's are worthy, at least in terms of SQ. I picked up a Denon DRA-635r for $60 (I believe it was) recently. This model works flawlessly - no noise in any controls, decent connectivity, good power - 80wpc - and has a remote control with motorized volume control. I currently use this with a pair of ADS L520 in my garage that are rated at 6 ohms nominal / 4 ohms minimum, and they pose no problem with that receiver at fairly high levels. This is not my best system, but I'm constantly impressed with how good this combination sounds and listen to it regularly.
I mention this as maybe not something to to buy instead of an upper or mid 'vintage' receiver but as something in addition to a lower, more affordable unit. If on a somewhat restricted budget, something after the 70's represents a much better value... at least to me. That's not to say that I don't like vintage; I also found a Sony STR-7025 from 1976 at the same Goodwill a few months ago. It looks and works great and was near the same price, though I often see them sell for much more. However, it is in no way comparable to the 14 or so year newer Denon. Back to back, the Denon blows it away in power (18 vs 80 watts), has quieter controls, has a remote, and is generally better. Having both takes care of my vintage craving and still having a somewhat more modern unit.
 
... If on a somewhat restricted budget, something after the 70's represents a much better value...

I agree with David. I have had several early 80s receivers that were awesome.

Though I have lots of 1970s stuff, I run a Yamaha RX-V850 right now in my main system (early 90's IIRC), and I am very happy with it.
I see similar era receivers in thrift stores all the time for $25 and less.
I saw a Realistic STA-3000 last week in what looked like great shape for $15.
I bet it was awesome.

Something like that would be my first purchase.
Spend some of the leftover money on better speakers.
Get another amp later.
 
And some of us realize the OP might outgrow the receiver he bought, and there's a good possibility that it will need service, as with any vintage audio equipment. :) I actually bought a Denon DRA-425 for $20 or so to use as a temp while I worked on my normal receiver. I didn't end up using the little Denon or even continue with the other receiver but went with separates. If one wants or needs to handle speakers rated at less than 8 ohms, needs more power, etc, going with a big 70's receiver is gonna be pricey. That's when many of the 80's to 90's models can make more sense.
 
DonP1
I am glad you got a fine receiver for below your budget of $300 at $160. It makes good sense to get what you want at the lowest cost by doing your homework and learning the market prices and sources of purchasing.
Now you some money to spend on the next thing that catches your eye. As you get more informed on a interest like audio gear you will surely have more wants or convince yourself that getting that something else is a "Need."
Charlie
 
Back
Top Bottom