• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Looking to buy a CD Player (not made in China)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some guy locally to me emailed me saying he has a vintage Pioneer P-D70 he may sell. It plays but skips tracks.., is it worth buying to repair ?

heres pics

pd70001.jpg

pd70002.jpg
 
They have offices in those places, not in china. Check the back of your player and I bet you will see china listed (don't take this as a dig on your player!). This review alludes to the fact that it's built in china; http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/rotel_rcd1072_2009.htm

I'd be more likely to listen to the glowing reviews that this model has had for years and the fact that there is only one for sale on a site like Audiogon. That tells me, people are holding on to them.
 
In your budget the best sounding cd players are probably made in China. Some of the new China made cd players like Rotel and Marantz have Better DAC's than the older non China made cd players. I hate it but until you have a larger budget your best sound will probably come from a China made cd player. Maybe down the road when you have more to spend you can get a cd player made in Japan or even better the USA.
 
I'm curious. Why not anything from China?

cubdog

Yeah, I'm curious about that as well. Why nothing from China?:scratch2:

Once I get all my pennies saved up, I am probably going to buy a tube Amp and the only ones of high quality I can afford are made in China.

:music:Will
 
Goodwill stores usually have some made in Japan cd players. I bought several last summer; Technics, Yamaha, Sony. All lent out to family/friends. All made in Japan. Cheap.
 
Rega CDPs are made in the UK (at least my Apollo says Made in the UK). You may be able to find an older Planet or Planet 2000 for $300, IDK.

As far as the China thing, I can relate. Not specifically China, but my stereo is personal to me and I want cool stuff. Where it's made absolutely has a lot to do with how cool it is to me. It's not only about sound quality, screw that.
My preference is made in USA and I've either saved over time or bought "lesser" gear or both and have been happy. Nothing against China or anywhere else, or anyone who buys it.
 
Rega CDPs are made in the UK (at least my Apollo says Made in the UK). You may be able to find an older Planet or Planet 2000 for $300, IDK.

As far as the China thing, I can relate. Not specifically China, but my stereo is personal to me and I want cool stuff. Where it's made absolutely has a lot to do with how cool it is to me. It's not only about sound quality, screw that.
My preference is made in USA and I've either saved over time or bought "lesser" gear or both and have been happy. Nothing against China or anywhere else, or anyone who buys it.

The problem is the coolest and best sounding stuff in Rob's budget is going to be made in China. A lot of the older Japanese gear with it's older dac's will not sound as good as some of the newer stuff made in China. You have to look at what is best in your budget. I agree Made in the USA is the way to go if you can afford it. I also prefer made in the USA gear. That is why my system is Mcintosh. But when I bought my cd player the list price was $5,500.00. A used made in the USA cd player that is not ancient will probably still cost over $1,000.00. I would get whatever sounded best in my budget for now. Later when I had more money I would worry about where it's made and how cool it is.
 
Last edited:
Why not buy a slightly used unit? In that case, you may be able to get more for your budget and it won't matter where it was made or not because it's already been used.
 
I'm curious. Why not anything from China?

cubdog

I can venture a guess... :rolleyes:

But, as to a good sounding, bare aluminum faced CDP, not made in China, preferably of old age and still working (or worthwhile to fix), Rob, your choices are slim.

At the top of the list would be something like the Denon DCD-3520EX or DCD-S10, but those, in good condition, are likely to go for much more than you want to spend.

The Yamaha CDX-2000 is a good sounding unit, as is the later CDX-2200. The CDX-10000 is a very good unit, but can get quite expensive and is a pretty rare bird.

Many of the Sony CDP-7xxES family are very fine units.
 
i think your best bet would be to get past your hang-up about Chinese-made gear. As far as build quality and performance are concerned, I see no reason to avoid Chinese gear. There's been some really fine gear coming out of China in the last decade.

although you may have pollitical reasons not to buy Chinese. if you buy used, that's a non-issue.


if you want silver-faced, you should look at Music Hall, cambridge Audio, and as you saw, Creek. Most Rotel gear I see is black (but not all)
 
I dunno, guys. The guy says he doesn't want a Chinese-built CD Player. I can understand asking him why not out of curiosity, but why try to change his mind? Is it because you can't think of a CD Player that meets his criteria? He's looking for something very specific.

"The problem is the coolest and best sounding stuff in Rob's budget is going to be made in China."
You mean except for the fact that it's made in China so he doesn't want it.

"i think your best bet would be to get past your hang-up about Chinese-made gear. As far as build quality and performance are concerned, I see no reason to avoid Chinese gear."
You see no reason why because you don't have a hang-up with Chinese gear. The OP thinks his best bet is to find a non-Chinese product.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom