• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lost everything in a fire

dieselsdad

New Member
As the title suggests I recently lost 95% of my high end audio gear in a shop fire. My 30x40 shop was my man cave and where I did most of my music listening. I’ve always been a Fan of Klipsch and Harman Kardon and really like their sound. I lost a set of Cornwalls, a set of Hereseys and some RP600’s as well as a Harman Citation 11 and 12 preamp and amp. I have insurance, it’s paying for replacements. I’d like to go back with similar brands. I think I’ll upgrade to Cornwall IV’s and get another pair of RP600’s. I have 2 more pair of Hereseys already so I won’t be replacing those. My main question concerns the pre amp and amp. I’ve enjoyed the sound and the looks but…..is there another Citation model I should try? Something older or newer that has better sound or specs or would just suit my speaker selection better. I listen to my music from medium to loud and I should mention I’ve been playing lossless files through a digital music player as the source. I don’t want the hassle of CD’s or Vinyl in the shop. The shop is pretty clean, I don’t do woodworking type stuff, dust isn’t too bad, I’m not worried about service life because of the environment. My speaker choice is pretty much made up, I’m looking for suggestions on pre amp and amp and digital music player. My all in budget is about $2000-2250 for those three components. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can make.
 
Register to hide this ad
No help with amp/preamp suggestions.
Just wanted to say sorry about the fire.
Sounds like your insurance company is covering your losses. Glad you have replacement coverage.
Been a while since I talked with my insurance company about audio and camera gear. At the time they said I didn't need a rider for either but to keep an inventory with pictures and serial numbers.
I do have replacement cost coverage.
 
My job from 1996 to 2011 was estimating losses of home entertainment products for insurance adjusters. All of them insisted that replacement costs be for new items which were like kind and qualily (LKQ) to that of the originals. None would accept quotations on used (as in vintage) equipment. Be prepared.
 
Man, so sorry to hear of your loss! Nice gear you had, eh? Electrical fire?

Do want to go vintage or modern? Used or new?

Does size of footprint matter?

Going for 4 speaker set-up, or trad 2 channel?


Q
 
If you really liked the Citation 12, you might want to look into getting a Citation 16 and have it gone through you won't be disappointed.
As far as a preamp goes, I currently have mine paired with a Kenwood C1 and it sounds very good, but I would think any good preamp would be fine.
 
I have lived through a house fire, tho not as bad as yours.

I'm sorry for your loss, and hope that the insurance comes through, and you start anew.
 
Sorry for your loss. I have never had a house fire but worked for years for businesses that specialized in fire damage cleaning, repair and replacement for the entire house and contents. I have seen first hand the devastation and heartbreak to people that are the are the result of a fire. Requires quite a bit of empathy for the people that are victims of a fire. I had an eyeopening experience of insurance companies and the caustic effects of smoke on electronics. Even if they work after being cosmetically cleaned they will almost always fail down the line, not a matter of if but when. Good luck on replacing your equipment.
 
Last edited:
My job from 1996 to 2011 was estimating losses of home entertainment products for insurance adjusters. All of them insisted that replacement costs be for new items which were like kind and qualily (LKQ) to that of the originals. None would accept quotations on used (as in vintage) equipment. Be prepared.

Can you elaborate?
For example since the OP needs to replace his Citation 11 and 12's, what would the insurance company consider as suitable replacements.

I think I've seen the term LKQ used for body shop insurance repairs, I guess I thought it was some big company supplying parts, for example LKQ brand fenders or hoods. Evidently that is not even close.
I guess I've learned something today, that's one of the good things about AK. Though I'm not sure I like what I learned here today.
But thanks for opening my (and maybe other AK'ers) eyes today 62.
 
Man, so sorry to hear of your loss! Nice gear you had, eh? Electrical fire?

Do want to go vintage or modern? Used or new?

Does size of footprint matter?

Going for 4 speaker set-up, or trad 2 channel?


Q
I tend to like “vintage” but as we’re getting older that timeframe is changing. I’m open to hearing about something “newer”. I suspect I’ll go used since I was assuming vintage but again….

I’ve got 1200 sq ft to play with so size doesn’t matter.

traditional 2 speaker stereo system. Sometimes I want to ROCK and listen to the Cornwalls, sometimes I want to listen to the RP600’s but never at the same time.
 
If you really liked the Citation 12, you might want to look into getting a Citation 16 and have it gone through you won't be disappointed.
As far as a preamp goes, I currently have mine paired with a Kenwood C1 and it sounds very good, but I would think any good preamp would be fine.

The 16 is on the shortlist. I’ve heard plenty of good things about it. Did it have a matching pre amp?
 
The 16 is on the shortlist. I’ve heard plenty of good things about it. Did it have a matching pre amp?
The matching pre is the Citation 17, but I couldn't find one for reasonable money when I got the amp. It sounds so nice with the C1 I just never worried about trying to find the matching pre.
 
The 16 is on the shortlist. I’ve heard plenty of good things about it. Did it have a matching pre amp?
FWIW once again if you like the HK sound the Citation 22 is a really nice piece also, but the build quality is nothing like the older Citations. My 22 could stand to be gone through but right now it's in a 3rd system so it hasn't been a priority.
 
Check out "Canuck Audio Mart" as there are several "IV's" for sale right now. However, they are not giving them away, but there might be some wiggle room if online for a time. Keep in mind the 20% conversion rate to defer shipping to a degree.

And... keep an eye out for the estate sales.


Good luck on your quest.


Q
 
Go to hifiShark.com and punch in what you are looking for. Your bound to find what your looking for,be patient.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom