• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Loudness - On or Off?

Well, What It Comes Down To Is This..

Some recordings just plain suck. and they need help.

And not only that..but its also a matter of personal taste.

My Marantz 7C PreAmp for example doesnt even have loudness contour, While my McIntosh C-22 PreAmp of the same vintage does.

But then too, Saul Marantz's musical preference was classical guitar.

TRC
 
Last edited:
Ears, people. It's all in the ears!

They don't hear the same. Don't have the same range. Have vastly different frequency ranges and almost always are non-linEAR.

:D

Yes, it's safe to say that seldom do two people hear the same musical passage exactly the same way.

Without tone controls, graphic equalizers, loundess controls, bouncy lights and $100/foot wire we would all be looking for a new hobby.

TMTCW
 
I just follow the advice from the owners manual on my Marantz 2270 and 2275, which is that the loudness switch can help in a smaller sized room...Works for me.
 
None of that nonsense on my gear, don't want it either. I agree with Russman, if you need it there's something wrong with the set up. Just my .02
 
just got a rotel rsp 960 preamp to match my rb-976 preamp. it has no tone controls, so i guess it made my decision for me. it has a "bass eq" button, but i keep it off, even at low volume. seems my system could use a little bass help, but i think it is a speaker placement issue, other than that, the system sounds sweet.
 
In the car, always on.

In the home, don't have it. But, I'd play with it if I did have it.

My ears, my gear.

;)
 
Loudness Contour

Most PreAmps and receivers with a "loudness" button will gradually decrease it as the volume is turned up. . .Personally I do not use any tone controls on my Big System, I tend to agree if it aint right somethings wrong. But on that system its used pretty much at the same level all the time. I do set my subwoofer about 2-4 DB over flat as I like the bottom a little hot or it sounds thin to my old ears. . .Now in my 9x9 office where the volume is barely cracked on I use loudness if I have it or I will turn the bass to +2 or so, but this is at extremly low levels. If I want to blast off the first thing I do is turn off any tone or loudness. TA is right, more people damage equipment from improper use of loudness and tone controls. with bass set at max your amp is at 100% at about 10 o'clock on the dial. . . .
 
Re: Loudness Contour

Originally posted by gyusher
Most PreAmps and receivers with a "loudness" button will gradually decrease it as the volume is turned up. .

I'm quite skeptical of this. I've heard people say it before, but I've yet to come across a unit that actually does it. Any examples?

Personally I do not use any tone controls on my Big System, I tend to agree if it aint right somethings wrong.

Sorry to single you out gyusher, but that's quite enough of this "something's wrong with your system" BS. If we accept that everyone has different taste in music (ie: I like hiphop, you like country), then we must accept that different people will tailor their music differently to suit their tastes. Just because someone chooses to make things a little bright, or boomy, whatever, that doesn't mean their system is the cause. Chances are that same person would walk into your listening room and jack the bass too. I like exagerated bass, it makes me smile!

I do set my subwoofer about 2-4 DB over flat as I like the bottom a little hot or it sounds thin to my old ears.

Ok, and this is different than using loudness how!?! Must be something wrong with your setup - maybe you should look into that :)


TA is right, more people damage equipment from improper use of loudness and tone controls. with bass set at max your amp is at 100% at about 10 o'clock on the dial. . . .

For sure! Those are the same people that don't know distortion/clipping when they hear it! When I was really young, like 12, I roasted my share of VC's with "Super Bass", but now I keep it in check. I think we all know how loud we can push our systems. BTW, loudness does not equal bass set to max on my system. I choose to use it instead of the tone controls because it introduces less noise than the pots and associated circuits. Does exactly the same thing though (+6db @ 100hz, +3db @ 10khz).
 
Hi Stewey,

quote:
"I'm quite skeptical of this. I've heard people say it before, but I've yet to come across a unit that actually does it. Any examples?"

I used to have a Sansui CA-F1 preamp that did for sure. Besides the personal experience, I have a 1980 Audio magazine lab measurements with o-scope graphs showing the effect of the loudness contour. At -60db to -40db, it had the max effect, +10db@50hz, +6db@10khz. They showed 10 db increments up to -20db, where it was flat (no effect). My Sansui integrateds (or is it intergrated?;-) from the same era have the same circuitry.

I think that some amps and receivers 'phase out' the 'contour', but others don't (your mileage may vary).

BTW, loudness is a good thing at low db levels.

RobV
 
Of course the bottom line is set it how YOU like it, why would anyone not do that? I have no problem with the guys that say 'I like the treble and/or bass on the hot side'.

What I think you can "dry out and fertilize the lawn with" is the statement 'some recordings need it, compression etc, yadda yadda'. If you use a 10 band or better EQ, I'll buy it, sure - you can make a much more finite adjustment of whatever the 'problem' is. If you want to play the compression card, get a range expander - it's what they were designed for. If it's a truely 'bad' recording, find a re-mastered one and try it?

I have a hard time buying the fact anyone really thinks they are 'fixing' ANYTHING with a 2-band EQ, ie, via bass and treble controls. So if a recording needs tweaking, it's always at a slope starting at 100Hz and 10Khz (or whatever your tone controls adjust)?

Just thinking outloud here, not intended as a personal attack - don't take it as such (anyone). ;)

Cheers,
Russ
 
Last edited:
I leave everything flat, then tailor the sound with fancy brass cones and wood disks.:dunno:

Although this may seem expensive, I keep extras around to shove in my ears when the wifes tone seems a little off.


:huge: :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge:

Disclaimer:

All views posted here are satire. Please do not take seriously if you ACTUALLY use these methods of stereo tuning or wife stifiling.

No wives, brass cones or wood disks were harmed in the making of this post.
 
Loudness Contour

Stewey,
"I think we all know how loud we can push our systems."
I take exception to this. . .If this were true the repair man would be out of buisness. . . I agree that most sincere audio folks do take care not to drive their gear into distortion but I cannot tell you how many times I have jumped into a rental car to find the bass and treble at max. or how many times someone gets a new car and drives it over to show it off. I look at the radio to see bass and treble at max. How many "Nerd Curves" have you seen on a EQ? I have seen too many.
When I said if it doesnt sound right fix it. . .Thats my opinion as to what I do. . .When I cannot get the sound I want from a set of speakers I do not fix it with EQ or tone controls. . .If it is the speakers I replace them etc. untill it sounds right to me.
I certainly do not think I can make any decision about anyones gear but my own. You are exactly right everyone has different tastes. . . .BTW mine is not country. . . .A little is fine. . . .
 
Back
Top Bottom