• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

LP Gear generic stylus

tmccullough

You are who, who you are
Is there a consensus opinion on these? I would like to buy a new stylus for my M91 and put it into service. I also want to buy the stylus for my old Stanton 500. I cannot make heads or tails of the catalog numbers on the LPG site. I know which stylus I need for the Stanton. I'd like to upgrade and get the HE stylus for the M91, if possible. I think it's this one:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=SHN091EDLPHL

I just don't want to drop $50 on a stylus that sucks.
 
Register to hide this ad
You have two good options, NOS Original Shure stylus or a Jico Japan replacement. Anything else I don't trust to maintain original performance or improvements.
 
LpGear replacements are Jico. They also sell Jico/SAS styli. Usually their prices are better than getting them directly from Jico in Japan. Regular (not SAS) replacements are bonded, but are very high quality. I have Jico shibatas for a Stanton 980 and an AT-95, that I also use on a Virtuoso. They seem quite good, better than I expected.

neo
 
The Jico website says you can only get Jico replacement styli from them.....

# Where can I buy your stylus in New York?
# Our styli can only be purchased online through this website.


I would buy from Japan to be 100% sure...
 
Stanton500 Shure m91 stylus.....

contact Kevin at Kabusa for the stanton, he just fixd me up on a new stanton D71 EE 908-754-1479 very knowledgeable and personable:thmbsp:!!! Ed Saunders for the Shures, you'll like these people tooooo!!!!!!
 
Tmccullough,
IMO you're better off getting a Jico for the Shure, than a Pfanstiehl from Ed Saunders. Some Pfanstiehls are said to be good, and some are terrible.

Believe me, LpGear is selling Jico. Nowhere on the Jico site does it say that they can only be bought directly. In fact, there is contact info for business inquiries.
http://stylus.export-japan.com/index.php

There appears to be about 20 diff model numbers for M91. I don't know if these are interchangeable or not. They probably are. They look the same, but I'm not sure. I'd think you'd have to make sure of that, no matter who you get it from. Both companies have contact addresses, or maybe someone here knows for certain.

neo
 
LPGear sells Jico SAS styli, which arrives in the original Jico packaging.

What is unclear is if some of their other better-quality generics are also Jico products, such as the LPGear Stanton 681 Shibata. Evidence posted here in other threads suggest that it is.
 
Well, this has gotten clear as mud. I'm seeing that LPG's styli are made by JICO, in addition to them also offering JICO. Trust me, I work for a company that makes stuff, so I know how OEM works.
 
I have been very pleased with the HE stylus I purchased last year from Lpgear for my Shure M91. I bought the cart from a seller on the "bay" and like it so well I bought another for a different table. The stylus that came on them were not bad and sometimes even preferable.

I have a SAS on the way. It should be a marked difference from what I'm reading from people here who have them.
 
I have been very pleased with the HE stylus I purchased last year from Lpgear for my Shure M91. I bought the cart from a seller on the "bay" and like it so well I bought another for a different table. The stylus that came on them were not bad and sometimes even preferable.

I have a SAS on the way. It should be a marked difference from what I'm reading from people here who have them.

Please make a comparison between the HE and the SAS after you had time to enjoy the SAS for a while.:music:
 
The fact that LP Gear sells some JICO-sourced stylii does not mean that all of their non-OEM stylii are JICO-sourced. I certainly would not assume that.
 
Back
Top Bottom