• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman RX-101 Receiver "Suckface" Repair Details as of 2020

joeben23

New Member
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and seeking assistance with my Luxman RX-101 Receiver. I bought this brand new (my first purchase after getting a job in high school) in 1983. I used it up until around 2000 and then put it in a box for the past 20 years. I decided to dig it out this past week and discovered the suckface issue I had back in the 1990s has gotten worse. It used to be that if I pushed on the face a few times, the mechanism would unstick and work. This happened once in a while.

Now the suckface doesn't work at all. Even if I hold it in, audio does not come out of the receiver. I have researched a number of posts here and elsewhere, and I have ordered a replacement belt from Vintage Electronics (vintage-electronics.net). Based on another post, I ordered the SCX2.6 for $4.50. I am not sure if this is the right belt or if this is the sole issue with my mechanism.

I decided to document my process here so those who go through this in the future may benefit from what I've pieced together so far and will continue to discover. I plan on taking photos and maybe some videos to help those who come after me. I've gotten some great help from a few YouTubers out there who have done this repair:
  • @KKnockk on YouTube replied to a few questions I posted in the comments on his video here. There is a limit switch that is supposedly very delicate, and no replacement is available from what I've read. It's the one shown with the green, red and brown wires in this image: https://imgur.com/gallery/gNbGsTV
  • @Voidstaff69 on YouTube did the repair himself after buying a kit on eBay that appears to no longer be available. He also replied to the comments on his video here. He got a rubber belt plus an instruction manual showing the various steps along the way. He was kind enough to send me a copy of the Word Document which was written by Randy Stewart and JoLynn Barton in 2009. The only reference to Randy that I could find was to an eBay seller named @rdsjss who appears to be inactive. Since he doesn't appear to be selling any longer, I'm happy to share the Word Doc with others who are doing a repair (I won't post it here since they did write it
As of today (June 3, 2020), I'm waiting for my belts to arrive and will post more as it happens. I am worried it may be more than the belt (maybe the switch or the motor). If any of you have done this repair yourselves, I'd appreciate you reaching out in the comments if you're willing to guide me as I do this repair next week. I'd hate to accidentally break the switch mentioned above or put on the replacement belt and reassemble the unit only to discover it still doesn't work. Thank you all.
 
Register to hide this ad
I bought the KX101 cassette deck back in 1982/83 but returned it due to some issue with the flouro peak meters (actually traded up for a Denon DRM44 which was very good).

Anyway, I always liked the look, not the servo so much, but the general layout and the acrylic buttons.
Fast forward to last year and getting back into electronics tinkering, I bought a RX103 on ebay. Faulty servo face but otherwise unscathed.

Firstly, the servo mechanism should not affect the audio. albeit the knobs are more difficult to adjust. Still you should be able to push in the face and adjust.
Many owners just tie the mechanism permanently retracted and disconnect the power to the little motor.
I almost did this, but did find a belt from an ebay seller.
And I did get it working. The actual disassembly is mostly to the front face and the tone control board. Definitely have to be careful around the motor and switch.

I'll look at my notes for links I kept that were helpful to me.

Good luck.
 
This thread is exactly what I need to fix my RX, too. Looking forward to clearing some space on the bench, checking the number of the belt I have and finding the pieces I need to put back into the receiver with the new belt. Phono did not work on this receiver when I got it because the suckface needed to be sucked in to power that function. I will be watching this one and hopefully playing along.
 
I bought the KX101 cassette deck back in 1982/83 but returned it due to some issue with the flouro peak meters (actually traded up for a Denon DRM44 which was very good).

Anyway, I always liked the look, not the servo so much, but the general layout and the acrylic buttons.
Fast forward to last year and getting back into electronics tinkering, I bought a RX103 on ebay. Faulty servo face but otherwise unscathed.

Firstly, the servo mechanism should not affect the audio. albeit the knobs are more difficult to adjust. Still you should be able to push in the face and adjust.
Many owners just tie the mechanism permanently retracted and disconnect the power to the little motor.
I almost did this, but did find a belt from an ebay seller.
And I did get it working. The actual disassembly is mostly to the front face and the tone control board. Definitely have to be careful around the motor and switch.

I'll look at my notes for links I kept that were helpful to me.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I believe the RX-101 and 103 are different in that the 101 audio won’t work unless that switch gets tripped. I recall that when it worked back 20 years ago, if the mechanism didn’t suck the face in, the audio wouldn’t work even if I held the face in. I tried setting it up and holding the face in this week and no dice. I read elsewhere that this was only on the 101 so I am not sure.
 
Huh, I didn't realize that about the rx101.

There's an "interesting" YouTube video on repairing a servoface....from "Kitchen table repair doctor":
Just get through it, there's good info on the take apart.

I have a copy of blog with a step by step repair, cleanly done, but I can't find it.
When I do I'll pass it along.
 
Thanks, I was able to buy the right belts at Vintage Electronics vintage-electronics.net. And belts is a misnomer. They're really small rubber bands :)
Hello, ı am reading with great interest. I’m an owner of two sets of the RX-103 and KX-102, with only one servoface working... Did you succeed in repairing the servoface on your machine? I’m eager to get going with mine :)
 
Can anyone help me with the task of disconnecting the power for the suckface apparatus? Luckily the face is stuck on the retracted position and I’d like to keep it that way. When turned on, the motor keeps whining... Don’t have the knowledge or skill to repair/replace any parts (belt,etc). Just looking to disconnect the power to it and leave it they way it is.
Thank you for your help.

Cheers
 
Can anyone help me with the task of disconnecting the power for the suckface apparatus? Luckily the face is stuck on the retracted position and I’d like to keep it that way. When turned on, the motor keeps whining... Don’t have the knowledge or skill to repair/replace any parts (belt,etc). Just looking to disconnect the power to it and leave it they way it is.
Thank you for your help.

Cheers
Hey, I don’t remember how it’s connected. One of my RX-103’s is currently totally disassembled, awaiting the arrival of four rubber belts. I need to change three (as of today, the fourth will probably slack soon...) I don’t even know if I’m able to screw the whole thing together again..
 
I have found a way to disconnect the power to the suck face servo. But now I am getting low power on all outputs. I am unable to repair, I could have it totally gone through (refurb I think) for abut 4-$500 but I am unwilling to pay that much as I have another receiver on the way (Marantz 2218 in great operational condition) So, if anyone wants a cosmetically beautiful RX-101, I have a bargain for you..Thanks to all.

Cheers
 
If any of you have done this repair yourselves, I'd appreciate you reaching out in the comments if you're willing to guide me as I do this repair next week.

I've done it many times. Will watch for your updates. Go slow, nothing needs to be forced. When you get to the pulley mechanism itself, be careful when taking the gears apart - it is a tiny planetary gearset. There are small washers that could fall and disappear forever.

Or, if you're all done and someone else bumped your thread, I'll help them too if I can :)
 
Thank you for your response, I don’t have the expertise to attempt repair, I found a local who could but I’m looking at $300-500 for complete restoration.
Don’t want it invest that much, I found a nice Marantz 2216b that has already temporarily sated my sound habit. I have decided just to try and move this. It is beautiful when lit up, just no sound. I did disconnect the power to the suckface but still no sound. So...If you know if anyone who is looking for a project, I’m ready to deal. Thank you again.
Cheers
 
F2B3499E-2280-4D2A-BEC7-775D9489B002.jpeg 7908F9C7-C5B1-4A30-94E1-C72C86A950CF.jpeg F7569448-28E8-4400-AEC8-DBE82AFEBC5C.jpeg

So just picked up the infamous “servo face” Luxman RX 101, circa 1983 40wpc sound crisp, clean and powerful - but of course the suck face is dead. Great cosmetics, and bought it with the idea to resurrect the ingenious engineers at Luxman‘s idea of “when you turn off your stereo - bass, treble, balance, loudness and volume shouldn’t be touched by (your kids) unauthorized hands”.

My question is this: any nude top off phots of this sucker in action? Step-by-step instructions that have been referred to in this thread? I know the motor sometimes doesn’t get enough juice and have replacement belt, just want to see it functioning in all its glory from inside.

Any help is appreciated, and certainly those that have mastered this please share your knowledge, thank you
 
i just got one of these off ebay... unfortunately the seller made no mention that the suckface was broken (to be expected i suppose) but especially that there's a significant channel imbalance... guess i need to tear into it and start measuring components, but while i'm in there i'd like to try repairing the servo/replacing the band as well.

@joeben23 - is there any way you could send me that repair guide?
 
i just got one of these off ebay... unfortunately the seller made no mention that the suckface was broken (to be expected i suppose) but especially that there's a significant channel imbalance... guess i need to tear into it and start measuring components, but while i'm in there i'd like to try repairing the servo/replacing the band as well.

@joeben23 - is there any way you could send me that repair guide?

Go to: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/luxman/rx-101.shtml
Hope this helps...


cheers
 
Yes Hifiengine is a gold mine, first place to look for service manuals. Bringing a servo “suck face” Luxman back to life is a heck of a job, but doable, be patient! And regarding the channel discrepancy, make sure you deoxit it first, could be a simple cleaning issue. Good luck!
 
Deoxit on the speaker selector switch isolated the channel imbalance issue on mine but did not totally cure it. A bit of cat5 in a u shape soldered so the switch is always on resolved the issue and took the stereo sound spread to another level. My scrap piece of cat5 was not readily taking solder so I ended up with two little blobs of solder or a solder bridge which in this case I think was a bonus. I even added a touch of silver solder. This is much easier than replacing the now redundant switch. These switches appear to be a common issue across the luxman rx 101 rx 102 and possibly rx 103 series with likely the same manufacturer.
I did this solder jump on the speaker A switch as it is easy to reach on my rx 101 model, just lid off.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom