• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman tonearm question

I have this Luxman PD-277 turntable. Just realized that apparently they came with different tonearms. Can anyone tell me which one is on my table?
Thanks
 

Attachments

  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 66
Register to hide this ad
I don't know the model number, but it is the same one as on mine. BTW, when your tonearm is on the arm rest, what is the position of the anti-skate arm? Is it about parallel with the tonearm, or is it angled downward? Thanks!
 
My PD-277 service manual shows the tonearm in the parts breakdown as "851716 P/U assembly." There are no sub-assemblies or individual details of the arm shown.
 
Tonearm

I don't know the model number, but it is the same one as on mine. BTW, when your tonearm is on the arm rest, what is the position of the anti-skate arm? Is it about parallel with the tonearm, or is it angled downward? Thanks!
Hmm, never paid attention. I'll check tonight.
I've heard some Luxman tables were outfitted with Sumiko arms. Is it true?
 
I saw a Luxman table on eBay that is being sold with no tonearm. It looks like it was intended to accept various arms, but the 277 looks to me like it was made specifically with the Luxman arm. This is all speculation, I'm as far from an expert on this as possible. I've never even seen another Luxman "in person" besides the one I own.
 
BTW, when your tonearm is on the arm rest, what is the position of the anti-skate arm? Is it about parallel with the tonearm, or is it angled downward? Thanks!

It would depend on how much anti-skate it is set at.
At about 1.5 grams, it should be at a downward angle.
 
Yours looks exactly like the one on my PD277. I've been told it's a Micro Seiki tonearm made for Luxman by them.
 
Last edited:
It would depend on how much anti-skate it is set at.
At about 1.5 grams, it should be at a downward angle.

I don't understand why the setting would affect the angle. The setting is done by sliding the weight forward or back on the little spindle. The spindle angle is affected by the length of the string wrapped around to the tonearm. The string is "inelastic," it doesn't stretch. I think the spindle should be pointing downwards with the arm on its rest, so that the spindle is horizontal when the tonearm is halfway through the disc. This would minimize the change in antiskating force as the arm moves across the disc. Unless there is a reason one wants a bit more antiskating at the beginning or end of the record, then the angle could be biased to provide that. Right now mine is set up with the spindle just the slightest bit downwards when the tonearm is on the rest. That's the way I got it, but I think it is incorrect.
 
Hello.
About tonearm of the Luxman PD-284: how much it can weigh?
i want to match it with my cartridgies Goldring 1042 (compliance 16) and Audiotechnica 150mlx (compliance 10).
Thank you.
 
Back
Top Bottom