• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mac 4280

Ah yes HS French class.... While I did not know Mr. Painchaud as well as I did Gordon, I am sure he would have smiled.
 
I guess at this point, we should hold off judgement to a sound test and initial impressions. I know of some people who think the Stereotech 1200 is much better than the 1900. I actually have a Stereotech I got for a fantastic deal coming in the next week or so, so I will see. Who knows?

The 4280 may sound very good. Since they were only made for three years, and very few ever come up for sale, it might be a very good receiver. I am interested in your impressions. On another note, dealers probably ask so much for it because of its rarity and its looks. It looks very nice and heavy duty with the handles and looks all business. If we really got down to production numbers, I would suspect they sold less than 1,500. It makes it rare and if in good condition, desirable to the right person. I never see them for sale, maybe two a year on that auction site.

That's an interesting observation, and you're correct: There are quite a few 4100s floating around compared to the 4275/4280 and that may have something to do with it. One nice feature of the 4280 is MC cart. compatibility which the 4100 lacks. It also employs screw type terminal speaker connectors while the 4100 uses the clip type of which I'm not particularly fond. I realize banana plugs are available but why Mc would use those clips on an otherwise excellent unit escapes me. Also acc. to R Russell's site, the 4280 had remote, the 4275 did not. Hopefully, my 4280 should arrive this week and I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces. I really appreciate everybody's postings/observations/research and I'll be sure to post my impressions sometime soon.
 
After returning a MAC 4100 to seller b/c it was defective after claiming it was completely up to snuff, I decided to take the Mc plunge again this time with a MAC 4280. This time I spoke at length w/ seller to confirm it was right and who was son of the original owner. I really wanted a 4100 but the price was definitely right and it is a minty. That having been said, I would like to pose the question to all you McIntosh experts out there: What's your honest opinion of the 4280? I've seen a post in which one member calls it a "dog", yet the professional Mc dealers who handle used equipment on a routine basis regularly quote higher prices for the 4280/4275 and 4200 than that asked for the venerable 4100. Any insight based upon direct knowledge of the difference between the products would be most appreciated. Incidentally, the 4280 does have a remote control- a feature usually ascribed to the 4300 only as far as I can tell. Btw- Although I've heard many good things said about the 4300, I simply cannot abide that most offensive feature of some (usually inferior) audio equipment- the push button volume control.
How does the unit sound? Are you satisfied with it?
 
Back
Top Bottom