• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Magnavox console find

daftnytes

New Member
Hello. I just picked up this Magnavox console for $75 at a local thrift shop and wanted to share. The system does not have the remote and for some reason has no legs. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like it might drop into a base that has legs. The amp is an 9306. The date codes on the tubes and caps i looked at point to early 1963 so I'm guessing this was probably built in '63. Since it's in such nice shape I'm leaning towards restoring the whole unit, starting with the amp/crossovers and tuner. Once those are working I'll move on to the TV. I've rebuilt 80's arcade monitors but I haven't worked on anything this old. I know how to properly discharge a crt but any other advice on what to do is more than welcome :)

1715730377022.jpegIMG_0927.jpgIMG_0930.jpg
IMG_0924.jpgIMG_0926.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice and dusty, which is a good sign that no one has been in there messing around thus original stock.

93xx series amps are great, here's a schematic for that series however I'm not sure why there is nothing after the 9305

93XX series Schematic.jpg
 
That is odd. Is there an ohm rating on the woofers? Those are different looking woofers than I've seen in Magnavox consoles.
 
We had a Magnavox console like this one growing up. It had short stubby legs that just screwed onto the bottom. You should have no problem finding replacements at a well stocked hardware store.
 
That is odd. Is there an ohm rating on the woofers? Those are different looking woofers than I've seen in Magnavox consoles.
No ohm rating that I can see. I disconnected one and got 3.0 ohms. When I was checking them I noticed they had different magnets and baskets but the same part number - assuming 581206-1 is it’s part number

1715778071280.jpeg
1715778035994.jpeg
 
4 ohm would make sense for a 9300 series amp.

The woofers are different from each other. And look to have ceramic magnets? I've only ever seen Alinco magnets on speaker drivers in the Magnavox tube consoles. I've never seen a 9306 amp before.
 
Here’s a pic of the wiring diagram from inside the chassis. There’s another speaker under the woofer which I didn’t notice before. So, 4 speakers per channel. I found the wires going between the wood and the side of the chassis. I’ll take more pictures when I get the speakers pulled. There’s a 16mf cap I need to replace in there too.
1715785359175.jpeg

1715785152264.jpeg
 
The woofers are different from each other. And look to have ceramic magnets? I've only ever seen Alinco magnets on speaker drivers in the Magnavox tube consoles. I've never seen a 9306 amp before.
Possible one was replaced or its not impossible it came this way. Same part number from different mfg, probably would be considered fine on the assembly line. The date codes are around 6 months apart so i wouldn't rule out a replacement

Never seen a 9606 i don't think but I'd be surprised if its different than the others in a way that matters

My Hoffman console had mismatched speakers left to right. Same driver sizes and all but different physical arrangement and different mfg. Thats a 2 piece console though.
 
Possible one was replaced or its not impossible it came this way. Same part number from different mfg, probably would be considered fine on the assembly line. The date codes are around 6 months apart so i wouldn't rule out a replacement

Never seen a 9606 i don't think but I'd be surprised if its different than the others in a way that matters

My Hoffman console had mismatched speakers left to right. Same driver sizes and all but different physical arrangement and different mfg. Thats a 2 piece console though.
Maybe the amp is voiced more towards the midrange for the TV audio?
It will be interesting to see the difference from the other 93XX amps.
Then it could just be a slightly different power supply compared to the 5 other versions.
 
Maybe the amp is voiced more towards the midrange for the TV audio?
It will be interesting to see the difference from the other 93XX amps.
Then it could just be a slightly different power supply compared to the 5 other versions.
Here’s what it has for transformers. 300195-1 for the power, 320085-2 for outputs and B-320041-2 for the filter choke.

Ordering caps now. I was looking at Atoms to replace the can but it turns out it’s way cheaper just to buy a new can cap. I’m going with 40/40/30/30 instead of the OG 40/30/20/10. :dunno:
I bought replacements for the others as well. Still looking for the death cap. Going to see what I used on my 8601

1715792219216.jpeg

1715792189954.jpeg
 
You don't really need fancy filter caps. I just used some Nichicon 105° caps originally before modding the power suppy and going with SS rectification.
You can still use quality caps that are cheaper and better than a cap can.
I found about half of the carbon comp resistors out of spec in mine also.
I just replaced them all with 1% metal film resistors. The 9303 I have came with all Magnavox branded Mullard tubes. Unfortunately one went gassy, and the other three are on the weak side but still sound pretty good.
If the glass on the power tubes has black blotchy marks on them they may be Mullards also.
 
You don't really need fancy filter caps. I just used some Nichicon 105° caps originally before modding the power suppy and going with SS rectification.
You can still use quality caps that are cheaper and better than a cap can.
I found about half of the carbon comp resistors out of spec in mine also.
I just replaced them all with 1% metal film resistors. The 9303 I have came with all Magnavox branded Mullard tubes. Unfortunately one went gassy, and the other three are on the weak side but still sound pretty good.
If the glass on the power tubes has black blotchy marks on them they may be Mullards also.
Thanks! yeah, most of the resistors i was able to check without desoldering were out of spec - mostly lower than what they should be. going to dig through my stash of resistors and see what I need to order. I may have the same 6BQ5s that you have. They have black/smokey spots on the sides. Unfortunately one was swapped out with an RCA. That’s the only tube I could find,so far, that’s not magnavox.
1715798934588.jpeg
 
you can also make these things perform a lot better than they do in standard form even without replacing the output transformers. Highly reccomended if you're doing in-depth work.

 
It looks like one of the 6BQ5's got replaced at some point.
The other three do look like Mullards. Plus they have "made in great britan" stamped on them.
 
Back
Top Bottom