• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnavox console find

I rebuilt the crossovers and the 9306. I completed the crossovers first and tested them with my 8601 and it sounded really good. I haven't had speakers efficient enough for that amp for a while so it was nice hearing it again. I kept the specs of the components identical to what was in there. For the amp i replaced all resistors with 1% metal film and I replaced all caps. The plastic insulated hook up wire was starting to crack so i replaced all of that I swapped out the can cap with a new one. My 140 watt soldering gun didn't do a great job on melting the solder around the mounting tabs. the rectifier tube and one of the 6bq5s tested a weak so I swapped those out with some tubes i had around the house for bench testing. I first tested with no tubes, followed by a dummy load with tubes, and then a speaker test with a portable CD player. I had sound in both channels but i had a high pitch noise on warm up followed by motor-boating. After some digging on the forums it turns out i needed to add some 390ohm resistors to each channel to since i was bypassing the balance control that connects to the other side of the wiring harness. I had some terminals around so i made jumpers for the resistors instead of soldering them in. I have the amp back in the console and I really like the sound. I have some NOS Soviet 6bq5 equivalents in there now that sound pretty decent after they burned in for 16 hours or so.
My goal is to have this thing restored as close as possible to the way it was originally after that I'll look at mods for the amp. Going to work on the mpx and tuner next.IMG_0980.jpgIMG_0084.jpgIMG_0937.jpgIMG_0938.jpg
 
Can't wait for the TV restoration. If you can get everything working it'll be such a cool piece of furniture.
 
Sorry to fire up an old thread here, but I seem to have this exact model and I'm having some trouble with mine. Would anyone have schematics/SAMS for the VHF tuner?

Edit: To add some background to my issue, I seem to have low audio output from the VHF tuner, requiring the volume knob to be turned to the 3 o'clock position, resulting in me hearing some crossover from the video signal during high-contrast scenes. When listening to the phono or radio, I only have to turn the volume knob to the 9 o'clock position. The RF amp (6GK5) and OSC mixer (6CG8A) tubes seemed to test OK on my Simpson 1000.
 
Last edited:
If the video stuff works its probably not a tuner issue. No idea if these use a single IF strip for video and audio or separate. Guessing its common since its not super old. If its common and the picture is good that would indicate some issue after the IF. likely not much there, I'd expect a discriminator and maybe an amp stage before it goes to the audio amp stuff which is also seemingly OK.

If its not a common IF then it might be a tube or other problem in that area. Tv audio is basically the same as FM radio.
 
If the video stuff works its probably not a tuner issue. No idea if these use a single IF strip for video and audio or separate. Guessing its common since its not super old. If its common and the picture is good that would indicate some issue after the IF. likely not much there, I'd expect a discriminator and maybe an amp stage before it goes to the audio amp stuff which is also seemingly OK.

If its not a common IF then it might be a tube or other problem in that area. Tv audio is basically the same as FM radio.
I haven’t found a SAMS for it yet, so I’m not sure if it uses a single IF or not. The only diagram I have is the tube diagram. I might also swap the tube in case it simply tests good but isn’t, or maybe the heater voltage is low.

I appreciate the help!
 
Back
Top Bottom