• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnavox tube console rebuild

Could be the detent is messed up, likely part of the same problem . Should be a ball bearing with a spring washer clicking it into some detents to make it go. Cleaning these can be a pain since they're semi-sealed but if you spray some cleaner in and work it back and forth a bunch of times it usually does the trick.
Yeah, I guess no harm in taking it apart to try and fix it. It seems like one of the more rare tuners so it might take awhile to find another tuner but might be able to find another switch.
 
That
The good news, if it is beyond repair, is that many people here on AK ditch the tuner and rebuild/reuse the power amps. So there might be someone in our midst who has a donor waiting for you. You could become an AK Subscriber and put a wanted ad in Barter Town.
that would be great, how does barter town work? Is it like ebay or more like Craigslist where sales are based locally?
 
The turntable is a 600 series Micromatic. Specifically a 600. . As for the stylus. The screw on the top of the tonearm at the cartridge end comes undone and the cartridge with the mount drops out. There is a 5-6 digit number on the side or top of the cartridge. Write this number down and hang on to it. The 600, 620, and 700 series micromatics all use the same main idler, no matter whether the 2nd idler is present or not. The 800 series uses a slightly smaller idler wheel.

Get hold of Gary Stork @ www.thevoiceofmusic.com. He'll have the stylus and possibly the idler (if needed). Go thru the tutorial I wrote for the Micromatic, and clean yours thoroughly. Lubricate as shown. I've had about 20 Micromatics over the last ten years and NONE of them have needed a new idler. HOT WATER AND DAWN to wash the idler. Nothing else. Your 600 series is basically the same as the 620 except for the trim, and the tonearm styling. It was an interim style before the Thin arm 800 to 820 series.
 
Sams folder 651-9 covers the tuner, just out of range for me ( my files stop at 645). I do have the schematic pages, though. If you DO get another switch, you can probably replace the shaft and detent without touching the wiring
an
 
The turntable is a 600 series Micromatic. Specifically a 600. . As for the stylus. The screw on the top of the tonearm at the cartridge end comes undone and the cartridge with the mount drops out. There is a 5-6 digit number on the side or top of the cartridge. Write this number down and hang on to it. The 600, 620, and 700 series micromatics all use the same main idler, no matter whether the 2nd idler is present or not. The 800 series uses a slightly smaller idler wheel.

Get hold of Gary Stork @ www.thevoiceofmusic.com. He'll have the stylus and possibly the idler (if needed). Go thru the tutorial I wrote for the Micromatic, and clean yours thoroughly. Lubricate as shown. I've had about 20 Micromatics over the last ten years and NONE of them have needed a new idler. HOT WATER AND DAWN to wash the idler. Nothing else. Your 600 series is basically the same as the 620 except for the trim, and the tonearm styling. It was an interim style before the Thin arm 800 to 820 series.
Thank you for the wealth of knowledge, I've always enjoyed reading posts on audiokarma and seeing how helpful everyone. Glad that hasn't changed. I was told on eBay by a seller which I think goes by needle daddy that the needle for my cart is a ev26, does that sound right? So the 620 is the one that looks just like mine but the trim doesnt go up as far right? I bought some rawn regrip, any experience with that or something similar on idler wheels?
 
Sams folder 651-9 covers the tuner, just out of range for me ( my files stop at 645). I do have the schematic pages, though. If you DO get another switch, you can probably replace the shaft and detent without touching the wiring
an
The tuner I have is a 7911 tube tuner, any info available? I might try taking that switch out this week and see what I can do. Thank you.
 
I have a similar project console buried in the basement. It's an early60's Astrosonic that had issues with the amp. I pulled the ss amp and pre amp/ tuner sections and replaced them with a recapped 8601 amp and a tube tuner/pre-amp that I had on hand . It has the 15 inch woofers and the mid/tweeter horns. It actually sounds pretty good, and I have plans to get the changer working and do some more with it eventually. Nice work so far. JOHN
 
Looking through my stash and I have another tuner /pre with the faceplate if interested. JOHN
Yes, I'm very interested. What model tuner? I'm hoping to find the same tuner or a related one. I wouldn't want to have to redo the bezel at this point. I've recapped a different 8601 before and it did sound real nice with the horns and woofer in this cab.0128171055.jpg 0128171055.jpg0128171055.jpg 0125171648.jpg 0122171649.jpg 0122172132a.jpg
 
The pre/tuner is missing 2 tubes, and the electrolytics were replaced. I have no way to test it at present. I'm thinking $30 + shp . I'll get back with you on that . What's your zip code ?IMG_2729.JPG IMG_2725.JPG IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2727.JPG
 
The pre/tuner is missing 2 tubes, and the electrolytics were replaced. I have no way to test it at present. I'm thinking $30 + shp . I'll get back with you on that . What's your zip code ?View attachment 865154 View attachment 865157 View attachment 865160 View attachment 865162
Thank you for trying but it's not the chassis I'm looking for. I noticed in one of your pics though that you do have the same tuner as mine but I think you used it in your build? Mine is a 7911 chassis which has a few other models that have the exact same chassis. Would you be interested in selling that one?:)
 
I hope you can repair it...... I kept mind without gutting the amp and it sounds great... Esp those 50-60s songs with not much mid bass but they have that deep bass that only a console against a wall can correctly make. Making you feel the bass and making the floor feel it too, causing you want to dance even if you can’t.
 
I hope you can repair it...... I kept mind without gutting the amp and it sounds great... Esp those 50-60s songs with not much mid bass but they have that deep bass that only a console against a wall can correctly make. Making you feel the bass and making the floor feel it to causing you want to dance even if you can’t.
I'm not giving up till I do, the solid state amp that was in there was shot so I figured hey ill just turn this into a tube unit. Its been more trouble than I thought but it will be sweet when done. I don't run into tube units around here so I have to put together one. I see some people find a Magnavox concert grand every other month :eek2:
 
Sorry mine won't work. Good luck with your project. JOHN
No worries, thank you for trying. I was wondering with the tuner you used in yours when the stereo is off is when you can play records right? One problem I have on mine is I can't get any noise from the phono inputs. The selector doesn't seem to select the phono section.
 
Back
Top Bottom