• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnavox Tube Stereo Console - beginner trying to improve sound.

BlanketThief

New Member
I've had a Magnavox Stereo Console from Salvation Army for a few years now (looks just like this one). It functions fine: plays records, FM/AM works, all lights work. The only problem is that the bass is REALLY heavy, even with the Bass knob is turned all the way down. Plus when I play records for more than 45 minutes, the audio quality starts to go way down. It gets very static heavy and the volume steadily decreases.

I am completely inexperienced with working with amps or any kind of audio equipment, but I figure this could be a good project to get started with this stuff. I'm willing to put in the work, what I'd love to have is some guidance on where/how to start.

Would you nice people be willing to help walk me through what I can do to try and improve the sound quality that's coming out of the unit?

I can take photos of parts if that helps.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Welcome! First thing to do is to find someone with a tube tester and test the tubes. Then restore the tuner and amplifier by getting all new capacitors inside the tuner & amplifier.

This will greatly improve the sound especially if it has never been recapped sinse new.
 
Thanks for the suggestions! Would it be worth it to go ahead and replace all the capacitors while I try to track down someone with a tube tester?

Any suggestions on where to buy affordable replacement capacitors?
 
Welcome to the forum!
As century tek stated previously, the best thing to do is get your tubes tested, or buy a new set if you are so inclined and then pull out the amplifier and replace all of the capacitors. These old tube amps are pretty simple, and you can pick up the knowledge you need by researching these forums if you are so inclined.
Without too much work, you could probably get that great old console back making some beautiful music.
 
You actually have a tube tester, the amplifier itself. Nothing tests tubes as effectively as the circuit you want to use them in. Go ahead and replace the caps first, and see what you get. There are some further measurements and such you can make with the tubes where they currently are, but the circuit itself needs to be operating properly before you can test any parts in it.

Also keep in mind theres the stuff in the tuner/pre-amp to deal with too. I'm not sure what specifically would be in yours but theres probably some caps in there and some off-value resistors that will need attention.


Back to the turntable for a moment, have you ever replaced the stylus? If its worn, that will affect sound quality as well. It also kills your records.
 
You actually have a tube tester, the amplifier itself. Nothing tests tubes as effectively as the circuit you want to use them in.--snip--

And, in conjunction with 'tube rolling', I fully agree. :yes:

Brian
 
As already mentioned...replace the stylus. A worn one can kill the mid-range and top-end.
New caps is a must too. Power supply, amp and preamp. Caps that have drifted off or have become leaky can do damage to the unit, as well as alter the tone
(too much bass, for instance).
 
Thanks for all the help everyone. From what I can tell the caps have never been changed, so I will definitely do that. I'm hoping that replacing all of them won't cost too much, does anyone have a suggestion for an online retailer where I can find some affordable options?

I am also definitely going to replace the stylus. I have a Technics SL-D205 turntable that I use for my vinyl most of the time, but it's fun to put a stack of records on the Magnavox during parties and just let it play for an hour, flip the stack over and do it all again.

Has anyone re-capped a console stereo before? Can you give me a ballpark cost of doing it?
 
Do a site search here on magnavox tube amplifiers and you'll find more info than you ever wanted to know. They're very popular here and I don't think a week passes when there isn't at least one thread on restoring, upgrading or modifying assorted Magnavox amps. Post chassis numbers for the amp and tuner and you'll likely get loads of advice to help you on your way.
For parts:
http://tubesandmore.com/
check out the sponsors at the bottom of AK pages too.
Welcome to AK
 
Hello,


I concur with the nothing tests tubes like a actual amplifier to a point. Since the thread title is about making a existing console sound better how does the OP actually know what this setup sounds like optimally. Also a failing tube that is borderline or shorted can really play up with any debugging done. Consider that as a person replaces caps voltages adjust. That can push a borderline tube over the edge.

I only agree that an amp is a great tester of tubes if said amp is actually working optimally and that the person doing this testing knows up front what to expect from the amp.

Frannie
 
First look at the amp,there should be a designation ink stamped on the chassis. Examples are "amp 175", "8802" then a schematic can be obtained. Safety note,
unplug the console- take lots of photos before disconnecting componenets. Don't take it personally when someone says:worthless
There are a lot of resources for these consoles, AK is one of the best.There's a huge following here. Welcome to Audiokarma, my friend.

the only silly questions are the unasked ones.
 
Hello,

In addition to the sage advice of unplugging the set. I throw in waiting a while before sticking your hand into the circuitry. (Maybe a hour or so) Also keep one hand in your pocket while pulling parts or working on the parts. Nothing ruins a amp restore more than a completed human resistance circuit.

Frannie
 
tube depot for Rs and poly caps and wjoe for electrolytics for underchassis. good $ and ship$ for both plus good selection. there are other sources.
Ive done 4 magnavox consol pulls full R/C replace and mods as needed. 8802(6V6 PP), 196(6BQ5 SE), 86xx(6BQ5 SE), 9303(6BQ5 PP). see avitar.
 
Blanket thief, you must be related to the wife. Frannies referring to letting the electrolytic capacitors discharging before they can get a chance to bite you. (Hi Frannie) Tube amps are high DC current amps without the modern safety features we take for granted. Let us know what experience you have so that advice given will appropriate. Mouser electronics sell caps amongst many others.
 
Don't forget to recap the console speaker crossovers too. I've bought early 60s vintage KLH speakers that sounded like crap on the high frequencies until the crossovers were recapped.
 
You actually have a tube tester, the amplifier itself. Nothing tests tubes as effectively as the circuit you want to use them in. Go ahead and replace the caps first, and see what you get. There are some further measurements and such you can make with the tubes where they currently are, but the circuit itself needs to be operating properly before you can test any parts in it.

Also keep in mind theres the stuff in the tuner/pre-amp to deal with too. I'm not sure what specifically would be in yours but theres probably some caps in there and some off-value resistors that will need attention.


Back to the turntable for a moment, have you ever replaced the stylus? If its worn, that will affect sound quality as well. It also kills your records.

I agree. I have recapped a bunch of vintage amps and I don't even own a tube tester. Every time I go to dig into my wallet to buy one I realize the amp tells me everything I need to know about a tube. If I sold tubes that would be a different story. In fact I've never seen a tube tester in person in my life.

I'm sure someone could shoot down my theory pretty quick with some kind of scenario not having a tube tester would screw me but it's low on my list of things to do.

Start my replacing the coupling capacitors and work down the chain from there. Tubes are tougher than 50 year old caps could ever hope to be. If after the recap you have problems, describe them here and I'm sure we could most likely determine the probably culprit from there.

Kory
 
Hello,

I don't think anyone here said "Go Out And Buy A Tube Tester".

We all said get the tubes tested. Heck I would do it for free for anyone.

Please don't tell me that you buy tubes without some sort of test results right. ??

So tube testers have value at least as to vetting out problems related to the actual tube.

No they (Tube Testers) are NOT the end all and certainly the amp itself is the best test bed. But since the OP has no idea what this amp is suppose to sound like optimally how the heck is it a valid argument that verifying the tubes in the amp is the best choice ??

EDIT:: I know this comes off as saying you guys talking about the amp being the best testbed are wrong. I am not saying that at all. But answer me a second question. What happens if you think its a tube somewhere ? Do you buy a whole set of tubes and change them around debugging the issue. And at that what happens if the "New" tubes you bought actually are worse than what you have.

Frannie
 
Last edited:
Hello,

I don't think anyone here said "Go Out And Buy A Tube Tester".

We all said get the tubes tested. Heck I would do it for free for anyone.

Please don't tell me that you buy tubes without some sort of test results right. ??

So tube testers have value at least as to vetting out problems related to the actual tube.

No they (Tube Testers) are NOT the end all and certainly the amp itself is the best test bed. But since the OP has no idea what this amp is suppose to sound like optimally how the heck is it a valid argument that verifying the tubes in the amp is the best choice ??

Frannie

No one was saying don't test the tubes just saying it should be lower on the list of things to do first IMO and it was the first thing suggested to do. If he has someone close by to test them or has a tester great, test away first thing. If not, do some basic safety measures, bring it up on a variac and see where you stand.

In a nutshell don't worry about it for now.

Kory
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom