• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnavox Tube Stereo Console - beginner trying to improve sound.

I agree that tubes should not be suspected first. But it is possible to swing too far the other way and not suspect them. I spent a whole day troubleshooting a new build, till the only possibility was that the 'new' Sovtek 12AX7 was bad. It was.
 
Concerning the console all paper capacitors and electrolytic capacitors must be replaced. All Ceramic disc capacitors in the audio circuitry (coupling or bypass) should be replaced as well. If there are any ceramic disc caps in the AM/FM tuner section that are part of the tuner and not in the audio path then leave them alone unless any are cracked. If there are any multi lead flat squarish ceramic devices they will need to be replaced with individual components as well.

I use Mouser electronics for most my electronic parts. Mallory 150s will work good for replacing the paper caps and ceramic disc caps. For any ceramic disc caps too small in value for a film capacitor use silver mica capacitors.

Those things alone will help the console sound much better.

Definitely have the tubes tested to be sure there are no marginal or bad tubes.

If you live within 30 minutes driving distance of Warner Robins, GA I can help you repair the console and test the tubes.
 
Great advice everyone! I'll get started replacing capacitors as soon as I get some free time (and a little extra money). I'll update with pics as soon as I start on it. I appreciate everyone who has chimed in with their opinions.

Tube Radio: funny that you mention Warner Robbins. I am from Alabama so I'm unfortunately too far away to take you up on your offer, but I have family in Warner Robbins and I've never met anyone else from there in my life.
 
Cool. Yep Alabama would be a bit far. My mom's side of the family is from LA. What's LA you ask? Lower Alabama :D
 
By the way, which amp # is it? I'm sure one of us has a schematic or can point you to one on the web. Cheers.
 
I agree that tubes should not be suspected first. But it is possible to swing too far the other way and not suspect them. I spent a whole day troubleshooting a new build, till the only possibility was that the 'new' Sovtek 12AX7 was bad. It was.
I had the same thing happen a couple years ago w/ Sovtek 12AX7's ! JR
 
Back
Top Bottom