• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnepan 1.7i Impressions

Good luck on your fine tuning. I confess that I abhor overly bright systems.

My big stats have a HF pot to control such. Others have suggested using precision fixed value resistors instead. And I have already purchased a pair of high voltage Dales for that purpose. Just not as easy to implement. ;)
 
Good luck on your fine tuning. I confess that I abhor overly bright systems.

My big stats have a HF pot to control such. Others have suggested using precision fixed value resistors instead. And I have already purchased a pair of high voltage Dales for that purpose. Just not as easy to implement. ;)
I too, shy away from bright speakers. When they have a tweeter switch, I usually prefer low setting.

RECOMMENDATION IF THESE SOUND BRIGHT:

On these 1.7i, for anyone who thinks they are bright. DO TRY the included 1 ohm resisters. DO TRY other values. The 1 ohm was too much attenuation for me. I'm likeing the .5 ohm resisters I bought, so far. May try a value between .5 and 1 ohm, if I can find. My resistors were only $8 shipped.
I was amazed at how much the resistors changed the speakers, in my room! Definitely worth experimenting to fine tune!!
 
Last edited:
I am thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying my 1.7i system! I don’t feel it is lacking in the bass response, however my plans (and budget) for my system did envision supplementing the lower registers as my setup is in a large room (~20” x 20). My general sense is that the best approach is to find a way to offload the bass signal from the Maggies, rather than just tack on a subwoofer (or a pair). Thus, I’d been looking at using an active crossover to split off the lower frequencies before they even get to the Maggies and sending them to a pair of REL T5is. However a possible alternative is to use Magnepan’s own DWM (again as a single or a pair); does anyone here have experience with either scenario? I should say this is all part of a two-channel system and I am not looking to shatter windows rather just increase dynamic range.
 
I don't have experience with RELs or the DWM panels.
I wonder why you mention T5is and not a larger T7i or T9i? Budget or do you think they would fit your 20'x20' room better?

I have a slight L shape 400sf room with 7' ceiling. RELs site software wants me to buy 1 or 2 T9is, for my 1.7is in this room. I exchanged emails with Magnepan support about RELs. He said one of his dealerships reported T7i were working well with 1.7i. He said if I remember right, the DWM added more bass but doesn't extend lower. Do call or email Magnepan and get thier views, on your system/room.

I see many online reviews on the REL T7i , but very little on the T5i, and even less on the T9i. I wonder if the T7i is the sweet spot in that line.

What has held me back from ordering a T7i is Magnepan reviews on Utube by Audio Excellence, a Canadian Maggie dealership. Three reviewers said in thier videos, all three prefered the 1.7is without subs. And they make money from selling subs.

I've tried a couple HT JBL or Fosgate subs. They definitely were too slow for the Maggies.

Do keep posting here, your journey.
 
Last edited:
I'm using a pair of Magnepan 1.7i with two REL T/7i subs. I started with a trial pair of LRS when they came out and moved up from there to the 1.7i. The folks at Magnepan basically said to skip the .7s (yes, the LRS are that good). REL was suggested by name by the folks at Magnepan.

I think the Maggies were just fine without the subs, but I had a little windfall so I splurged on the RELs. The T/7i has a forward firing driver and a bottom firing passive radiator. The T/5i has only a bottom-firing driver.

REL was out of the T/7i for a while, so I only had one for a couple of months. I just received the second a week or so ago. I'm running monoblocks so I needed two subs. I'm still playing with placement of the subs and don't have optimized yet.

I switched out my mono-blocks for a single amp while I had the single REL. In all honesty, I was happy with the smaller power amp and the single sub. The single sub can overpower the Maggies.

I have the obligatory sub on my HT system, and have been using a sub with bookshelf speakers in a bedroom for a few years. I have learned to be very judicious with the level of a subwoofer in the mix. Less is usually more satisfying. It's tempting to want to hear the sub, after all, you just spend a tidy piece of change so you want to hear the difference.

If you can tell the sub is on, it's probably too loud. It should add to the music, not overpower it.

In any case, I have been selling off most of my other large speakers. As long as I have the room for them, the Maggies are staying.
 
I don't have experience with RELs or the DWM panels.
I wonder why you mention T5is and not a larger T7i or T9i? Budget or do you think they would fit your 20'x20' room?

I have a L shape 400sf room with 7' ceiling. RELs site software wants me to buy 1 or 2 T9is, for my 1.7is in this room. I exchanged emails with Magnepan support about RELs. He said one of his dealerships reported T7i were working well with 1.7i. He said if I remember right, the DWM added more bass but doesn't extend lower. Do call Magnepan and get thier views, on your system.

What has held me back from ordering a T7i is Magnepan reviews on Utube by Audio Excellence, a Canadian Maggie dealership. Three reviewers said in thier videos, all three prefered the 1.7is without subs. And they make money from selling subs.
Do keep posting here, your journey.

Steve Guttenberg doesn't think subs work with Maggies, either. He prefers them unassisted.

Just me, but two T/9i in 400 ft^2 sounds like overkill. Is the room open to other areas, or enclosed? One T/7i could overpower mine, but my room is quite different.

You do have a hookup option with the RELs that reduces the gain if two of them are too much and you are running at the very bottom of the level controls.
 
... Thus, I’d been looking at using an active crossover to split off the lower frequencies before they even get to the Maggies and sending them to a pair of REL T5is. However a possible alternative is to use Magnepan’s own DWM (again as a single or a pair); does anyone here have experience with either scenario? I should say this is all part of a two-channel system and I am not looking to shatter windows rather just increase dynamic range.

I started off with some .7's in my system and used an Outlaw Audio ICBM (basically an active sub crossover) to split and control the signal. Unfortunately it has been out of production for a while, but you can find them used if you look hard enough. Other than that, I think JL offers something too but it was ridiculously expensive, and maybe Bryston but it may be discontinued too. When I had the ICBM installed it blended transparently and you picked up a ton of adjustment. I wish they still made it!

-Geoff
 
Steve Guttenberg doesn't think subs work with Maggies, either. He prefers them unassisted.

Just me, but two T/9i in 400 ft^2 sounds like overkill. Is the room open to other areas, or enclosed? One T/7i could overpower mine, but my room is quite different.

You do have a hookup option with the RELs that reduces the gain if two of them are too much and you are running at the very bottom of the level controls.
From watching Steve Guttenberg, I think he often leans toward "less is more." Nothing wrong with that.
My 400 sq ft room does include a stairwell and 4' opening to other rooms.
REL says they have made efforts to reduce mass of thier speaker cones, for speed. In that regard I lean toward T7i, that it might be faster than T9i. Maybe speed more important for Maggies that extra deep reach. Just speculation.
 
From watching Steve Guttenberg, I think he often leans toward "less is more." Nothing wrong with that.
My 400 sq ft room does include a stairwell and 4' opening to other rooms.
REL says they have made efforts to reduce mass of thier speaker cones, for speed. In that regard I lean toward T7i, that it might be faster than T9i. Maybe speed more important for Maggies that extra deep reach. Just speculation.

You can also look at RSL 10 Speedwoofers at 40% the cost of a T/7i. FWIW, they are also currently sold out.

Both RSL and REL are often sold out. Either they sell the heck out of them, or they don't build enough for the demand....

You can certainly spend many times more on a sub.

My room is around 12' x 14', but it's only a three-sided room. One of the 12' walls (what would be the wall behind the listener) is missing and it opens up to a full basement. I can't "pressurize" the room with bass, and I have no rear-wall reflections to worry about. Every application is different.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
 
Since we are talking Subs with Maggies, I have used a pair of NHT W2 acoustic suspension 12" woofer cabinets using a NHT X1 crossover. They are driven by a Aragon 4004MkII Power amp. The MGIIIa's are modified and tri-amped and this combo has halted my desire to move on. The combo has been in play for over 10 years. FWIW I have never found a ported sub that could keep up with the speed of the Maggies.
Regards,
Jim
 
My last two posts were responses to Renault4's subwoofer questions.

Thanks for all the subwoofer responses. Please add your experiences. Sounds like he is actively shopping.

Personally, I may end up with one down the road. But for now, standing pat. Holding off on subwoofer. I also have to consider how much bass, management upstairs will put up with. Lol.
 
I don't want to mislead anyone. I think the 1.7i can stand on their own without a sub. Adding a quality sub, or two, is not an inexpensive experiment. Especially when you consider some respected reviewers don't recommend them. They aren't in your room or using your ears. Everyone's taste varies.

I tried them and I'm still experimenting. I have use for the RELs if they don't ultimately work out. I can replace the decades-old JBL sub in my bedroom, for one.:)
 
Many thanks for all the responses! yes, budget is a consideration somewhat; I'd say my max is at the level of two DWM's @ $795 apiece--at $1600, thats less than two REL T7i's and more than two T5i's.

I believe part of the issue is finding subs that can "keep up" with the Maggies; that's part of the reason I am looking at the DWMs (which are not true subs in the conventional sense), as they appear to extend the range of musicality.

but I am still exploring (which is part of the fun!) and will take my time as well as enjoy my system as it is!

added: I am sure folks here would be interested in hearing from anyone that's using a single or dual DWMs
 
I bought one of the new REL Home theater subs - HT/1205 just for LFE on home theater. They go on sale once a twice a year for $599 and are an incredible value for that. Another $100 for the wireless too. I recently started playing them to compliment my two-channel and I am pretty impressed with how they handle music too. They are class D but at 500 RMS they punch pretty well.

-Geoff
 
Many thanks for all the responses! yes, budget is a consideration somewhat; I'd say my max is at the level of two DWM's @ $795 apiece--at $1600, thats less than two REL T7i's and more than two T5i's.

I believe part of the issue is finding subs that can "keep up" with the Maggies; that's part of the reason I am looking at the DWMs (which are not true subs in the conventional sense), as they appear to extend the range of musicality.

but I am still exploring (which is part of the fun!) and will take my time as well as enjoy my system as it is!

added: I am sure folks here would be interested in hearing from anyone that's using a single or dual DWMs

What do you find lacking? Is there a particular type of music you like that has an abundance of deep bass?

Is there anything that can be done about the answers from above with setup or room treatments? I'll assume you have the speakers pulled out from the front wall at least several feet.

From talking to the folk sat Magnepan, the DWM panel gives you more of what bass the panels do make, not lower-frequency bass. So let that be your guide. Do you want lower frequency extension, or just more of what they already do?

In any case, enjoy that heavenly midrange, imaging and soundstage. That's what you bought, vanishing speakers.

BTW, I definitely feel they produce more bass after a healthy break in. You may want to live with them for a hundred hours or so before making any changes.
 
I'll second Ross recommending to give them time to break in. I think it took a while for them to loosen up.
 
I'll second Ross recommending to give them time to break in. I think it took a while for them to loosen up.
Sage advice indeed! Though by no means disappointed in the 1.7s at the outset, I am noticing changes (improvements) in resolution the more I listen. I do think that’s a mix of the system itself getting bedded in, but also my own auditory physiology development as i work to just listen more and become more familiar with the facets of my configuration. Thus no matter what, I don’t intend to make any significant changes until I am sure that I can actually detect a difference!

with the above in mind and in response to an earlier post, I do not find the Maggie’s at all “lacking;” I’m just thinking ahead.


Cheers all!
 
Sage advice indeed! Though by no means disappointed in the 1.7s at the outset, I am noticing changes (improvements) in resolution the more I listen. I do think that’s a mix of the system itself getting bedded in, but also my own auditory physiology development as i work to just listen more and become more familiar with the facets of my configuration. Thus no matter what, I don’t intend to make any significant changes until I am sure that I can actually detect a difference!

with the above in mind and in response to an earlier post, I do not find the Maggie’s at all “lacking;” I’m just thinking ahead.


Cheers all!
Changing subject from adding subs. You mention that your room opens to a basement? And you can't pressurize the room with bass. Could you modify the room? Maybe not interested in changing it. Just an idea.
I added double barn doors over an entryway, just an example.
 
Changing subject from adding subs. You mention that your room opens to a basement? And you can't pressurize the room with bass. Could you modify the room? Maybe not interested in changing it. Just an idea.
I added double barn doors over an entryway, just an example.

I think that was Ross6860

My room is 20’ x 19’ walk-out basement room with four sides, though it has some openings that would be well-served with barn doors—I like that idea!
 
I think that was Ross6860

My room is 20’ x 19’ walk-out basement room with four sides, though it has some openings that would be well-served with barn doors—I like that idea!
Sorry, I miss read posts. I'm off topic.
At a basement remodel, barn doors were a good budget solution that required little carpentry. Don't require swing clearance. And can look nice.
 
Back
Top Bottom