• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnepan MG-1 Rebuild Questions

Isaac C.

Cat Hoarder
Hello everyone, a friend just gave me a pair of MG-1s that need rebuilt because they have the usual rattle. After viewing a lot of rebuild threads from various forums, I keep seeing the recommendation to use DAP Contact Cement instead of 3M Super 77. I've seen some people use both and others only one of the two. My question is, is it better to both together or does the DAP work just as good by itself? Also, what all is included in the kit? Is it products that can be purchased locally, since they don't ship in the winter? I hope to have at least one sock off by tomorrow night to get a better idea of whats going on. I know for sure the ends are curled on the midrange and bass and some of the wires have come up in the center, I can see and hear them rattling. Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
The kit from Magnepan contains the wires you order (bass and/or treble) a bottle of 3M Fastbond 30NF, some silver solder, connectors and instructions.

The Fastbond is water soluble so cannot be shipped during winter as it may freeze. That you can source locally.
The wire you really should get from Magnepan as it’s a specific gauge aluminum wire.

If doing repairs the contact cement works better because wire is curled and needs more adhesion to get it to lay flat.
You’re be lucky if the tweeters are still working; most aren’t by now. If they aren’t, that’s a more involved repair.
 
Thanks for the reply! It sounds like most of the rattling is coming from the middle of the panel, I really hope the tweeters are working. My current current speakers are Dynaco A25s, I've been wanting something more spacious sounding. Is the end result worth the time spent to rebuild them?
 
These will be a nice upgrade. My first Magneplanars were MG-I.

The solder is aluminum solder since you need it to solder the wire to the terminal strips. Once you open them up you will see what you need to make a full repair whether that is woofer wire or tweeter wire or both. This is a 2-way so not midrange driver/wire.

If the wires are intact and not showing signs of white corrosion products you could just glue them back down and have something. You can check the continuity to verify the wires since you haven't said you hear the tweeters which are protected by the one fuse.

Gonna be a new listening experience.

Bankole was over today and heard Magneplanars for the firs time, I believe he will remember that for quite some time.
 
This will be a project all right. I got the socks off tonight. The tweeter is dead, there are at least two or three breaks in the wire. The bass panel wiring is corroded and coming off so easily that the acetone step should be a breeze. Since they don't ship the adhesive in the winter, will they let me just order the copper and aluminum wire, solder, and connectors? I'm going to call Monday and see for certain.20200125_180339.jpg 20200125_180337.jpg 20200125_180325.jpg
 
Yes you can call and order what you need, no 30NF though.

While you wait you can make a diagram of the exact wiring in case some wires double back (they do on some of the speakers) order a new film capacitor that fits the speaker (maybe Magnepan has one, don't know) and well as you say the acetone step will be easy. Let it soak in a bit and the wire comes off easy. Then wipe down with paper towels a few times and clean.

You should be able to find the 3M stuff at grainger or some other place locally if you want to use that material.
 
If you still have continuity on those bass wires, just glue them down.

Fixing the tweeter wires is pretty easy, but fixing the bass wires is a big PIA. I did just that this past summer and would not want to have to do it again unless I had no other options.

Pretty sure the only thing Magnepan won’t ship in winter is the Fastbond, due to freezing concerns, Magnepan being in Minnesota and all...
 
Thanks again! Also there is a small "tear" in the mylar at the top of the tweeter maybe 1/4" or less what's the best method to fix that? Another question, so my understanding is that the DAP or Super 77 is used to hold the wire down and the 30NF is used to basically seal it, is that correct?
 
That's what I heard, just wanted to make sure. I'll try and keep this thread updated with my progress. It will likely take a little bit here and there over the next few weekends until I get them finished, assuming they will ship the wire, etc.
 
Last edited:
Isaac C. did you make any progress? I just purchased a pair of MG-1's that are in need of some attention. Both have bad tweeter wires and one has a bad mid/bass wire. I tried calling Magnepan but their service/parts kept going to voicemail.
 
@aidanhunter Unfortunately not, I have not had the time nor do I have an optimal room for them. Also I think they might beyond repair as there is a lot corrosion, especially on the magnets as they are beginning to rust.
 
Corrosion on the magnets? That seems odd - I'd be curious to see a picture.

To follow up on my pair, though, I was able to get a hold of Magnepan after leaving a voicemail. They sold me rebuild kits for each wire and two new socks. Was $205 shipped. I got the rebuild done. It was a massive pain in the keester and took multiple days, but the result is good.

I, too, do not have an ideal room for these, but they're pretty fun to listen to if you position yourself just right. My Marantz 2270 is doing its best to drive them but they could definitely use a dedicated power amp that's better suited for 4 ohm loads. For now, I'm going back to my Klipsch KG4's since they sound a lot better in this space.

I hope you're able to get yours working someday!

tubQA7dl.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom