• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 1060 sound ruined after recap of tone control board?

Did you install the caps EXACTLY like the originals? Did you get the polarity right? Note that they made the board wrong and C414 and C415 don't go where the silk screening indicates. They are shown correctly the attached diagram. This applies to the 2230, 2245 and 2270 models too, IIRC.

Tom



One of the best pieces of info I've ever gotten!!!!!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Thanks for sharing that Tom.

I've just done it to mine and I had recapped it a long time ago according to the silk screen. I can't remember if I put them back as they were or not.
Can't recall a whole lot anymore.

Seemed to tighten up everything and clarity is just as is should be.
I had a 1uf Wima that I made work.

Thanks again.
 
When replacing the electrolytics with stack metal films, I'm guessing polarity isn't important, because the metal films don't seem to be polarized, correct?
 

Attachments

  • 2012-01-09_13-04-57_688.jpg
    2012-01-09_13-04-57_688.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 109
EW: Looking at the values of these caps
C407,C408,C410,C411 are 3.3uf 50V originally, Would I have problems using the 4.7uf 25v you recommended?

C414,C415 are bipolar 1uf 50v...same question. Do I buy bipolars here or just use the Elna Silmic II, Digikey #604-1049-ND for all of them?

I would follow EchoWars recommendation and replace all the caps with Elna Silmic II. For the bipolor caps 1uf 50V Handmade Electronics still has the 1uf 50V Elna Silmic bipolar caps in stock, Nichicon ES is also a good choice. I have the 1uf 50V Silmic bipolar caps PM me if you want them. I think you need 2. I also love the RelCap RT films if they will fit, they are oh so sweet and smooth especially on the tone board. Use only to replace small value films, or it can get very expensive. Available from Michael Percy Audio.
 
Last edited:
C407, C408, C410, C411, C414, C415, C416, & C417 are all signal path caps. I'd highly recommend Elna Silmic II caps, except for C416 & C417, where I'd use a 50V Panasonic stacked film cap.

C407, C408, C410, C411, C414 & C415: 4.7µf 25V Elna Silmic II, Digikey #604-1049-ND
C416 & C417: 0.47µf 50V Panasonic stacked film, Digikey #P4671-ND

Edit: It looks like the pads for C416 and C417 are designed for an axial cap. In that case, I'd look at a metallized polyester or polypropylene cap to go there instead (the lead spacing on the stacked film is only 5mm). If you give the pad spacing for these caps, I'll look in the catalog and see what might be appropriate. Might be able to change C414 and C415 to a 1µf film cap also if the leads spacing is ample enough. Check both.
Hi Echowars (and others),

Your idea of putting 4.7µf 25V Elna Silmic II's into C407, C408, C410, C411, C414 & C415 seems a good one. I have just put FC's into these spots but I am reconsidering taking them out and putting Silmic ii's instead, for the hope of improved sonics.

My only concern is that the original caps as in the Service Manual were rated very differently than 4.7µf/25V. For example, C407, 408, 410 and 411 were both 3.3µf/25v; and C414 & C415 were 1µf/35v. My understanding is that we can go higher on voltage but not on µf. If I go with .47µf for all 6 caps, I am increasing the µf from the original .33µf for 4 of these caps, and then going down from the original 1µf to .47µf for two of the caps. Do you see a problem with this? Is this risky in any way?

Thanks for helping a newbie.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom