• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2600 - Euro Version?

Register to hide this ad
For sure it's the Euro Version, I can see the multi voltage selector at the back of the unit, the power cord is also bigger than the Us version

Tony
 
Assuming it's the Euro version, is that good or bad? Does the Euro version have more or fewer transformer issues?
 
Doesn't the euro version have a thermal protection fuse for the toroid that the U.S. version is lacking?
 
More precisely it is an overseas version - here's the page from the owners manual that has the purchase record.
 

Attachments

  • 2600 page.jpg
    2600 page.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 42
The eBay seller with the handle "stereobooklets" happens to be (and perhaps this doesn't come as a surprise judging from the gear he is selling!) also an AK member, and a very active one to boot.

I happened to come across him here on AK about four months ago. I needed to transport three components from Jacksonville to San Diego that had the following in common with the 2600: They were collectible, expensive, and heavy (SPEC 1, SPEC 4 (~65 lbs.), TX9500ii). I did not dare to let UPS do the packing job in their tiny 20"x20" boxes, and posted a request on AK Pony Express. Less than 12 hours after the post, "stereobooklets" had responded, called me, and set up an appointment to pick up the gear at seller's location, and have it packed and shipped.

The items arrived in impeccable condition: Doubleboxed, plenty of various thicknesses of styrofoam sheets custom cut for the job: He went way over and beyond what could reasonable be expected in his work.

If you think packing and shipping is a critical element of the total product for a rare monster such as the 2600 - and who wouldn't - I can highly recommend and endorse this seller's skills in these respects.

All the usual disclaimers - no business relationship to seller or the product at auction.​
Rgds,
 
Let's be careful here. Are you absolutely sure it's an AK member? Not to flatter ourselves, but if the seller is an AK member, that fact could increase the price. If the seller turns out not to be an AK member, the buyer could be disappointed.

If the seller is an AK member, please post here. Otherwise, I think the previous post should be deleted. Sorry, but if the seller wants the benefits of AK's reputation for real vintage gear lovers, he needs to claim it for himself, so everyone can know who's making the claim.
 
Negotiableterms said:
Let's be careful here. Are you absolutely sure it's an AK member? Not to flatter ourselves, but if the seller is an AK member, that fact could increase the price. If the seller turns out not to be an AK member, the buyer could be disappointed.

If the seller is an AK member, please post here. Otherwise, I think the previous post should be deleted. Sorry, but if the seller wants the benefits of AK's reputation for real vintage gear lovers, he needs to claim it for himself, so everyone can know who's making the claim.

Umm, I think he just did above. The posted pic of the owners certificate lists the serial number of the unit and it matches the serial number of the pictured Ebay auction unit. Both the poster and the auction are from Jacksonville, Florida.

I suspect he'll confirm soon.

Regards,

Bart
 
Yes - it is in fact my auction. In keeping with AK tradition I do not actively "advertise" and of my auctions here but I will answer any questions that come up (like the one about where this 2600 was from).

Njord - thanks for the shipping plug. I try to pack everything as if I were going to be the one receiving it.
 
Could be interesting; believe it or not one of these things has just turned up on Ebay UK. The odd thing is that it's described as `U.S. Specification'. I don't know whether this means 120 volts only, or whether the seller hasn't checked to see if the power supply is adjustable. The way it's described makes it sound as if the seller thinks the 2600 was a US model. We'll see; having hovered around the edges for a while and bid unsuccessfully on several Pioneers in the `States, it would be nice to find something like this on my doorstep. Bid history is odd too; mostly from a Spanish bidder. Wish me luck.............. Jim aka `combwork'
 
Negotiableterms said:
Assuming it's the Euro version, is that good or bad? Does the Euro version have more or fewer transformer issues?
My only working 2600 is an Euro version, if that tells you something. The US jobbers both have open primarys.
 
Negotiableterms said:
Are you absolutely sure it's an AK member?
Of course: I would never haved posted here unless I was certain beyond doubt that stereobooklets and wjahn5 were handles for the same person. I know because I have dealt with him in the past, and the receipt he provided in this thread is only additional evidence for me.

Needless to say - my motivation for posting was simply to give AK'ers the advantage of peace of mind with regards to this seller's packing and shipping skills.

Rgds,
 
Hi, I've checked with the seller of that Marantz 2600 on UK Ebay. He was very open; told me that it works well but needs cleaning as it has a crackle at high volume. Does this sound like nothing more than a noisy volume control, or something more serious? I appreciate this is a kind of `how long is a piece of string' question, but I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give me before going wild in the bidding.........
 
Thanks for the confirmation wjahn5.

Would everyone else please note that the seller cannot answer questions here about the auction, as that violates AK's 'no selling in the threads' policy.

Nothing wrong so far, and good luck wjahn5!
 
Hi, Just to clarify, I'm seeking guidance about one being sold on Ebay by `QuickDrop', which I've been told is a kind of Ebay shop for people who don't want to use Ebay. They (QuickDrop) have just opened in the UK `though I gather they've been going for a few years in the `States. The `Quickdrop' 2600 doesn't sound as good as the one that's being talked about here, but it is in the U.K., which really does make things simpler for me. It's listed as being in good condition and I've spoken to a man at Quickdrop, (who says he knows the seller) and he says it's in good condition but needs a clean as it crackles when the volume is turned up. What does this say to you guys; dusty volume control pot or something nasty and potentially terminal? Jim.
 
I'm not familiar with Quickdrop but if it is a drop-off store, you should preview the item first. Based on your description, if the crackling occurs only when moving the knobs, I would guess cleaning will take care of it. If it crackles and pops while not moving the knobs, it could be something more serious. Also, check the toroidal transformer (it is round and about 6 inches in diameter) to see if it runs hot. If hot, avoid as this part is impossible to replace. Also, check that the FM tuner will go into stereo mode when receiving an FM signal. This is also difficult to fix. And, check the main filter caps for leaks and bulging. The list is endless. Other experts will chime in but this is how I would decide.
 
Fair enough SoCal Sam. Trouble is it's on Ebay, and although it's on this side of the water, there's some 400 miles between it and me. I'm going to have to treat it like anything elso on Ebay; go by description, get as much information as possible (for which I thank everyone who's posted about this), then make my bid.......... Jim.
 
Back
Top Bottom