• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2600 w/ WC-124 - You Know Where

Register to hide this ad
I'd bet it hits at least 2K before its over. It's still got 9 days left!

Edit: I didn't see that it wasn't working. Bet it still hits at least 1K. It doesn't matter how bad the economy is as far as premium items go. Bad economies only effect low and middle shelf stuff-- top shelf will always sell for top shelf prices.
 
Hey Sam,

One that is on mine and others wish lists. It is cosmetically a very nice specimen with potential! The last few 25's I watched were under the 2K plateau, and one is sitting at just over $1300.00 now, relisted after closing at $1625.00 without meeting the reserve. I think that given its condition and with the repair needed, it might run to $1600.00. Some might be willing to pony up more or it might go for less.

BTW, this is in Washington and I am feeling a slight itch develop on my index finger. Don't know if I'll be able to scratch it, but I'll be watching. :scratch2:

Regards,
TB
 
Looks great cosmetically. At least from the pics. Would like more info on the issues and good close up nudies . Expect to see it go around 2k. But with the repair question marks it could be a bargain or bad news.Love to get my hands on it!
 
Hey Sam,

One that is on mine and others wish lists. It is cosmetically a very nice specimen with potential! The last few 25's I watched were under the 2K plateau, and one is sitting at just over $1300.00 now, relisted after closing at $1625.00 without meeting the reserve. I think that given its condition and with the repair needed, it might run to $1600.00. Some might be willing to pony up more or it might go for less.

BTW, this is in Washington and I am feeling a slight itch develop on my index finger. Don't know if I'll be able to scratch it, but I'll be watching. :scratch2:

Regards,
TB

Many pardons! I theorized on the price while not completely reading the fine print.

The issues mentioned are potentially fatal. The toroidal transformer had a high rate of failure when new. It has been surmised that if it hadn't blown by now, the toroid is likely to be from a good batch. If the toroid is bad, there are no replacements available but they can be rewound.

The other potential problem is the dual core capacitors, also unobtanium. If these are leaking or blown, good luck finding new or used replacements. Replacing them with two caps per side has been done but for some reason, kills the value for being non-original. The dead o'scope can be a costly fix and may be part of the transformer problem.

That being said, I'll keep an eye on this auction. I have a working 2600 and can always use a parts machine.
 
Hey Sam,

I figured you might be the good candidate for it while I was looking it over. I knew you had a 2600 and it might sell at a price that could justify its acquisition for parts.

If enough info could be gleaned from the seller, this might be a nice project if you could determine the cause of its failure. He states that the scope was fine before the PS went bad. If I were on the Westside this week, I could have seen if the seller would allow John at NW Audio to give a quick look over if I paid for it.

BTW, how is your 510M coming along? I have been watching that 510M that is listed now with some amazement! Already double what you have into the 510 / 510M you have!

Regards,
TB
 
650.00 or so, I've heard.Not including wood.
$650 for a 2600? Great, tell me where to find 'em -- I'll take ten at that price.

I'd love to get one of these -- pretty much the rarest of the rare. Something tells me that this'll get out of my range, working or not, trashed economy or not. He says the transformer is good, so... :scratch2: Well, I know what my cut 'n run point is, and the damn thing is close enough that it wouldn't need to be shipped. :D
 
Hey Sam,

I figured you might be the good candidate for it while I was looking it over. I knew you had a 2600 and it might sell at a price that could justify its acquisition for parts.

If enough info could be gleaned from the seller, this might be a nice project if you could determine the cause of its failure. He states that the scope was fine before the PS went bad. If I were on the Westside this week, I could have seen if the seller would allow John at NW Audio to give a quick look over if I paid for it.

BTW, how is your 510M coming along? I have been watching that 510M that is listed now with some amazement! Already double what you have into the 510 / 510M you have!

Regards,
TB

T.B.: The 2500 is just as much fun as the 2600 and in some ways better. The amp section is not pushed to the max for a marketing driven 300 watt rating and you will not notice a difference in either sound or volume. Some of the details like the dryer sized power cord are better in the 2500. Plus, you do not have to fear the toroidal transformer going bad.

I think Marantzfan has a Marantz 2285B that he is having the PS rewound so it can be done but at what cost?

My 510M has arrived and it it in decently good condition. It hums badly as advertised, definitely a grounding issue and probably worse. It does come out of protection so that is good.

I'm not surprised this 510M is going for high.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320341400519

What does surprise me is the $1,000 or more premium the meter version collects over the non-meter. Anyways, I'll use the 510 to restore the 510M, if necessary.
 
The issues mentioned are potentially fatal. The toroidal transformer had a high rate of failure when new. It has been surmised that if it hadn't blown by now, the toroid is likely to be from a good batch. If the toroid is bad, there are no replacements available but they can be rewound.

The other potential problem is the dual core capacitors, also unobtanium. If these are leaking or blown, good luck finding new or used replacements. .

That's good info knowing about the toroid, since there is one in my 2385B. The other issue, those big caps...., well one of mine leaked (in the 2385B), so I brought the receiver to a shop in NY and what do you know, they found two NOS caps and replaced both (the leaky one, and the one that hasn't leaked yet). The caps even had the Marantz sticker on them (I'm using the old ones as paper weights - I'm thinking of entombing them in Lucite...:D)

T.B.: The 2500 is just as much fun as the 2600 and in some ways better. The amp section is not pushed to the max for a marketing driven 300 watt rating and you will not notice a difference in either sound or volume. Some of the details like the dryer sized power cord are better in the 2500. Plus, you do not have to fear the toroidal transformer going bad.

Speaking of the 2500, I had two of these and comparing the sound of either to my 2385B I thought that the 2385B sounded better. I was also bothered by the cooling fan on the 2500. Not that I ever heard it when the unit was on, but just knowing that it was there drove me nutz (maybe my listening test results were psychosomatic..:D)

I think the 2600 in question might get up to the 2k level even in this condition, but I also think that it's a huge risk. Some of the issues the guy describes sound like there might have been a problem with the receiver and instead having a pro work on it, some hack went in and got lost there. This puppy might need A LOT of work. I'm not going to get near it with a stick (besides, it has a cooling fan, and I'm not a fan of those on a receiver..:D)
 
Hey Sam,

I figured you might be the good candidate for it while I was looking it over. I knew you had a 2600 and it might sell at a price that could justify its acquisition for parts.

If enough info could be gleaned from the seller, this might be a nice project if you could determine the cause of its failure. He states that the scope was fine before the PS went bad. If I were on the Westside this week, I could have seen if the seller would allow John at NW Audio to give a quick look over if I paid for it.

BTW, how is your 510M coming along? I have been watching that 510M that is listed now with some amazement! Already double what you have into the 510 / 510M you have!

Regards,
TB

This Marantz 2600 is over in Samamish which is only about 15 miles from where I live in Everett.

I wouldn't try and get it if I were you because it's more than likely not fixable.
 
I'd say a little reminder is in order here regarding EchoWars' previous sentiments on the 2600:

........, but for the technician that beauty ends once the top cover comes off and you find yourself staring at the clusterfuck on the inside. 10lbs of chit in a 5lb bag, and 6lbs of it is inaccessible. If you want/need a vintage 300WPC receiver, go look at the Pioneer SX-1980, or save your lunch money for a Sansui G-33000 (did I really just recommend that someone buy a Sansui??? ;) )
 
I have definitely taken heed to all the information available here by the resident experts! :thmbsp:

I agree that caution is in order on this one. As I had mentioned earlier, if you could confirm what the problems were, it could be promising if the price is right or passed on entirely. I have my attention elsewhere right now anyways, but I will be watching the outcome of this offering. :smoke:

Regards,
TB
 
I have definitely taken heed to all the information available here by the resident experts! :thmbsp:

I agree that caution is in order on this one. As I had mentioned earlier, if you could confirm what the problems were, it could be promising if the price is right or passed on entirely. I have my attention elsewhere right now anyways, but I will be watching the outcome of this offering. :smoke:

Regards,
TB

Caution is a good way to approach this. AFAIK, the only parts than are more or less unobtanium are the toroid, dual core caps, and one of the stereo IC chips. Unfortunately, it is a HUGE gamble to find out.
 
The dual core caps, they can be worked around quite nicely. Resident Marantz expert, Catrafter, does a great job of putting two filter caps in place of one dual core cap. Check out his work on a 2285B, the caps would be the least of my worries in that 2600. Fitting the new filter cap rig in might be a problem though, and I'll agree with EchoWars that it's quite a mess under the hood. The toroid, I'd be afraid of, and scope tubes can't be too easy to find either.
 
The dual core caps, they can be worked around quite nicely. Resident Marantz expert, Catrafter, does a great job of putting two filter caps in place of one dual core cap. Check out his work on a 2285B, the caps would be the least of my worries in that 2600. Fitting the new filter cap rig in might be a problem though, and I'll agree with EchoWars that it's quite a mess under the hood. The toroid, I'd be afraid of, and scope tubes can't be too easy to find either.

Technically easy to install two caps in place of one but the "all original" premium goes away.

Scope tubes come up from time to time. I have a good spare for my receivers and tuners.:D
 
Here's my original post on Negotiableterms's Marantz 2600: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116273

I looked at many different solutions to replacing the large PS caps in the 2600, and in the end finding room always was an issue.

If you read the thread, I said this:
I'm also beginning to doubt the 'Marantz 2600 dead-transformer' problem, and suspect that it may be a myth perpetuated by techs who find troubleshooting this unit too involved. That isn't to say that some 2600 somewhere may not have smoked its transformer, but I'm a long way from believing it is it an endemic issue with these receivers. Too many opportunities for a Bozo tech to do something stupid and blame it on the transformer.
And I still believe it.
 
Other evidence on the "dead transformer" theory may be considered. A former member who sold them new reported a higher than average rate of failures for the 2600. The problem was reported to be failed transformer but whether the problems were correctly diagnosed cannot be said.
 
Back
Top Bottom