• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Maybe its my room but i hate my speakers - all of them.

So, until I can figure out how to install these polyprop caps and see if that improves things, they're just used as speaker stands for my Advents.
I believe those early L100s with vertical-in-line drivers have second-order highpass filters on the mids and tweets:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical Sheet/L100 CENTURY ts.pdf

They are not rare, particularly, but they are considered by some as more desirable than the later variants with clustered drivers which were produced in substantially higher quantities, and for good reason.

Inspection through the woofer opening with a hand mirror will reveal if there are inductors on the crossover board. If so, your assumption regarding leaving the originals intact and just substituting two caps is invalid. In any case, you'll want operational L-pads also to adjust their output levels.

The LE20-1 tweeters are mounted with three small wood screws which are under the thin aluminum trim ring on the face, which is glued on. It is possible to remove that intact without creasing it with the judicious application of heat and a thin blade. I use several utility knife blades to accomplish it, but there are other options such as fishing line.

To get the crossover out, you will likely have to deal with the same issue with respect to the foil label, as on some variants, at least, some of the screws mounting the board are under it. The mirror will show you how the board is attached to the inside of the baffle and where.

Finally, I suggest that you're not going to "sweeten" the sound via the means you propose if the caps appear to be intact upon inspection and the drivers are presently functioning properly. Despite their appearance, they are quality construction.... :yes:
 
My klipsch speakers always sounded best in my acoustically challanged room. I have tried high end and low end psb, spendor, vandersteen, advent, epi, genesis, and others. The horns just made the best of it. I have moved out of the room and I still love the horns.

Here are the two modified klipschs that I really like.:banana:
 

Attachments

  • IMG00088-20090809-2059.jpg
    IMG00088-20090809-2059.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 2009 08 30 143.jpg
    2009 08 30 143.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 17
...Finally, I suggest that you're not going to "sweeten" the sound via the means you propose if the caps appear to be intact upon inspection and the drivers are presently functioning properly. Despite their appearance, they are quality construction.... :yes:

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I guess these speakers are what they are and are going to stay that way.

Thanks
 
I can't believe noone has mentioned Magnepans... they would love your 350 watts, and they are nearly impossible to make distort. You would be running out of the room in pain before you could make them sound bad. It does however depend on the size of the room you are working with. What are the dimensions?

Thanks,
Erin

You must have different Magnepans than the rest of us. I agree that they'll eat all 350 watts but my 2.5Rs would never induce pain. They just are way too inefficient and way bass shy to get any thump like the OP wants.

Beyond that I love them and they'll stay for quite a while, unless something better comes along :D
 
Back
Top Bottom