• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mc402 Vs. Mc452

I never picked up the 501s. The 452 arrives this Wednesday. I have listened many times to the 452 at various dealers and really liked it. I have heard the 402 but it was not at the same time as the 452.

I have had a restored 2205 in my system for a while and I like the 452s I've heard at dealers much more. Although the 2205 is a great amp the 452 is way more detailed than the 2205.
 
Hmmm ...

Personally, I've never subscribed to the thought process that McIntosh has a house sound or that newer generation Mc amplifiers sound different than prior generation Mc amplifiers. Quite simply the sound of a McIntosh amplifier is a function of its frequency response and its ability to achieve synergy with the load. Time and time again, it's been proven that McIntosh excels at both. I've also owned a few hundred different McIntosh power amps over the last three decades and have never noticed one sounding remarkably different than the rest. So then other factors like S/N, power capability, mechanical ID, and flexibility are determining factors - at least for me.

So ... @kevzep and @4-2-7 are both right. Each makes good points for their argument and each is obviously passionate about the amp they own / have owned. Now, I've never owned either amp in question and have zero firsthand listening experience with either so I can't say definitively that one is a better choice than the other.

OP - given your budget, the MC402 is your amplifier. However, if you're patient and if you can stretch the budget to reach the MC452, you'll find a deal you can live with. The latter would be my choice here - simply because I find the MC452 to be the single best piece of eye candy to come from Binghamton since the MC500.
 
I have 5 different Mcintosh amplifiers. I won’t bore you with which ones they are but I will say if I ever had to liquidate them the one product I would keep would be the MC452. For me it is the perfect amp in all the ways several folks have mentioned here.
 
Hi
It was 5700 including shipping. No taxes as I'm out of state. I have been looking for the last 9 months or so. The cheapest I've seen a 452 was 5400 on Craigslist.

6k was the best I've been able to do on 501s although a little over a year ago I missed a pair for 5500 on craiglist.

I found 1 601 for 3750, Craigslist.

In the end I really wanted to skip Craigslist and go through audio classics for this amp. I am sure that price is beatable but I have piece of mind dealing with them.
I'm going to call Audio Classics this morning to see if there has been any trade ins. I'm on the hook for the 8% for living in NYS, but I can do the two hour drive to pick up any purchase. I have seen two '452's go for $5K on the 'Bay, but the two that are posted there now, are beyond my strict budget.
 
Hmmm ...

Personally, I've never subscribed to the thought process that McIntosh has a house sound or that newer generation Mc amplifiers sound different than prior generation Mc amplifiers. Quite simply the sound of a McIntosh amplifier is a function of its frequency response and its ability to achieve synergy with the load. Time and time again, it's been proven that McIntosh excels at both. I've also owned a few hundred different McIntosh power amps over the last three decades and have never noticed one sounding remarkably different than the rest. So then other factors like S/N, power capability, mechanical ID, and flexibility are determining factors - at least for me.

So ... @kevzep and @4-2-7 are both right. Each makes good points for their argument and each is obviously passionate about the amp they own / have owned. Now, I've never owned either amp in question and have zero firsthand listening experience with either so I can't say definitively that one is a better choice than the other.

OP - given your budget, the MC402 is your amplifier. However, if you're patient and if you can stretch the budget to reach the MC452, you'll find a deal you can live with. The latter would be my choice here - simply because I find the MC452 to be the single best piece of eye candy to come from Binghamton since the MC500.
I was thinking about the Mc2600, Mc602 as well as the Mc402. I'm intrigued by the -124Db background of the 402, 452.
(Someone on another audio site said that I'd have to have the ears of a rat to hear the difference) :-)
 
I have 5 different Mcintosh amplifiers. I won’t bore you with which ones they are but I will say if I ever had to liquidate them the one product I would keep would be the MC452. For me it is the perfect amp in all the ways several folks have mentioned here.
Thanks for your feedback!
 
I never picked up the 501s. The 452 arrives this Wednesday. I have listened many times to the 452 at various dealers and really liked it. I have heard the 402 but it was not at the same time as the 452.

I have had a restored 2205 in my system for a while and I like the 452s I've heard at dealers much more. Although the 2205 is a great amp the 452 is way more detailed than the 2205.
Interesting. The more observations, the better! I might wait it out until I find a '452.
 
Hmmm ...

Personally, I've never subscribed to the thought process that McIntosh has a house sound or that newer generation Mc amplifiers sound different than prior generation Mc amplifiers. Quite simply the sound of a McIntosh amplifier is a function of its frequency response and its ability to achieve synergy with the load. Time and time again, it's been proven that McIntosh excels at both. I've also owned a few hundred different McIntosh power amps over the last three decades and have never noticed one sounding remarkably different than the rest. So then other factors like S/N, power capability, mechanical ID, and flexibility are determining factors - at least for me.

I am in the same camp. If the MC452 and MC601 are of same mold i would love to compare either of them in same room with the same preamp and speakers versus my MC1000s or MC2500s. I spent some time with MC601s driving IDS-25 speakers in room of similar proportions as mine. Hard pressed to find that much difference versus my MC1000s and XR290s until the volume was pushed and MC600s hit power guard and speaker power handling worries surface . Now pre amps, DACs and TT and cartridge and room changes in volumetric size or speaker locations is a much more noticeable impact Where the last five have greater impact on sound fidelity if amps and speakers are constant.

Synergy of amp with load of speakers make the amp changes shine when listening for detail and soundstage breadth and depth if speakers have lower sensitivity. The bigger autoformer Mc amps are quite comparably matched at equivalent SPLs from normal to concert listening levels.

That is my experience I am sure for others with different speakers like point source or high efficiency and different ears it could differ.

Quad balanced is quieter no doubt.
 
Last edited:
I am in the same camp. If the MC452 and MC601 are of same mold i would love to compare either of them in same room with the same preamp and speakers versus my MC1000s or MC2500s. I spent some time with MC601s driving IDS-25 speakers in room of similar proportions as mine. Hard pressed to find that much difference versus my MC1000s and XR290s until the volume was pushed and MC600s hit power guard and speaker power handling worries surface . Now pre amps, DACs and TT and cartridge and room changes in volumetric size or speaker locations is a much more noticeable impact Where the last folive have greater impact on sound fidelity if amps and speakers are constant.

Synergy of amp with load of speakers make the amp changes shine when listening for detail and soundstage breadth and depth if speakers have lower sensitivity. The bigger autoformer Mc amps are quite comparably matched at equivalent SPLs from normal to concert listening levels.

That is my experience I am sure for others with different speakers like point source or high efficiency and different ears it could differ.

Quad balanced is quieter no doubt.
We have a winner, folks! (Opens envelope)................................................................................................................
 
But the 452 does not have the Mac logo heatsinks! I guess that means your quest for the ultimate amp is still unfulfilled.
 
Congratulations, you will not be disappointed!! Slightly used from AC is like buying brand new in any case!!

I am keen to hear your impressions when it arrives....
 
McIntosh - official brand of budget busters and stretchers everywhere :-)

Even when you've nuked that hi-fi account, you're perfectly happy and you can't imagine ever upgrading again, there's still something else in the product line that nags at the back of your mind....always.

jblnut
 
I changed my mind....just a bit.........I was talking to Ernie Schleider at Audio Classics this afternoon, and I decided to buy a brand new Mc452, with the full 3 year warranty. I'm paying with PayPal credit, so the next six months are going to be a little bit 'lean' :-)
I'm driving down to Vestal on Friday, to pick it up.
Excited? You bet! :-)
 
Back
Top Bottom