• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh - Bad reliability and service

hassel

Active Member
In other parts of this site and on others, I have raved about McIntosh`s sound quality, and I stand by every word of it. Their service, however, is not what I thought it would be when I made the decision to buy their expensive gear. Here is the story. I would be glad to hear from anybody who encountered the same technical problem. I started out with a MA6500 integrated I still own, before upgrading to a combo of the C200 preamp and finally a MC402 amp. First the MA6500, then the C200 developed the following problem: The illumination of the whole frontplate started to become unregular. Parts of the McIntosh logo and other lit parts of the faceplate, including the wattmeters, were lit as before, others less so or not at all. Sometimes lighting went off for good, before coming back, and settling for the unregular lighting which both units now show. I think this is not trivial, especially for McIntosh-junkies who are addicted to the looks at least as much as to the sound. The lit-problem does not seem to be an isolated one: The authorized repair shop of the McIntosh-distributor here in Moscow, where I live– who wants to charge several hundred dollars for each repair – told me this problem happened with a lot of Macs units. It certainly happened with two of mine. It may be the reason for the new, different face-plate and lighting-design of Macs new amps. To be sure, there are voltage fluctuations here in Moscow, but they not more than usually 5, rarely ten per cent of the voltage. So I do not think it should be a problem for Macs units. Or if it is, it should have been rectified long ago, as international customers like me buy at least 40 per cent of McIntosh`s units these days.
I am a German correspondent living here in Moscow, so I have bought the MA6500 in Moscow and the C200 in Germany. When I turned to the official McIntosh distributor Absolute Audio here in Moscow, to get the MA6500 repaired, I received the answer that the warranty-period of one year only had already ended. Big was my surprise: The warranty-card included with the unit clearly stated that warranty is three years. September 11, 2003, I mailed Ms. Fredendall of McIntosh, to find out what McIntosh´s policy is. I never received an answer. Working a lot, I let the matter rest. March 9, 2004, I first send another e-mail and then called her. She remembered my November-mail and said she had instructed the distributor already in November to contact me. He did not do so. Ms. Fredendall confirmed, however, that any distributor in foreign countries has the right to shorten the warranty as he sees fit. The included warranty-card was valid only for the US, which was indicated only in the small print on the other side. To my questions a) why McIntosh included the card if it knew it was sold to another country where the warranty would not be honoured, and b) why McIntosh does not simply oblige all distributors to give three years warranty (hardly too much if Bryston gives 20 years worldwide), I received no answer. Ms. Fredendall promised me that McIntosh would at least pay for the necessary spare parts, that she would send me an e-mail, and that the distributor would contact me this time. Again, none of it has happened. I do not think I will buy McIntosh again, as much as I like their sound.
 
Register to hide this ad
I am sorry to hear about your woes. It seems McIntosh isn't what it used to be. I recall they were the only Hi-Fi manufacturer to offer a full refund guarantee. But that was back in the day when Frank McIntosh and Gordon Gow ran the company. Now it's just another "division" of a large corporation. Too bad really.

As for your new Mac pieces failing so early, that's a bad sign. McIntosh should have kept their old front panel lighting design. It has proven to be very reliable over the years. Even with the old fashioned filament bulbs. They were usually run at below their max. ratings so they'd last a long time.

Case in point, my recently acquired MR67 has the original ilumination in perfect order after nearly 40 years. If something works fine, why mess with it?

Kind regards,
crooner
 
Mcintosh has always had a reputation for excellent reliability. But I think this reputation was based on their tube equipment of the 50's and 60's and some of their older solid state power amps.

Mike
 
I run an authorized warranty repair shop for McIntosh (Statement Audio) here in Knoxville, yes panel illumination is a problem, it does not affect the sound quality, only the esthetics. The factory has acknowledged this problem and this is why the new components have been designed with a new reliable lighting system. This is why I keep a good stock of #7373 lamps, worse part is if only one lamp is out you may as well replace the rest because they will be out soon enough.
 
Heh...I've replaced the lamps in my brother's Mc pre-amp (mid-90's model) a jillion times. (Why do they insist on using solder-in bulbs?) Anyway, it doesn't help that he leaves his system on 24/7. :rolleyes:
 
I agree with Braildriver. The Dealer should be the one to make the repairs.

As for new Mac gear I have very little experience with it but i have Yet to hear of any Major complaints with it. Cannot say the same about some other companies.

grumpy
 
In fact, audiokarma.org is the only site I discovered a few days ago. I am a registered member of both audioasylum and audiogon for several years and participate in audiogon especially not to rant, but to inform. And yes, sure I am posting on all forums, because I want to inform as many people as possible. A thread like this, as I already explained over on audioasylum, is what these forums should be about as well. I think it is better to give and to hear the bad news and the good, instead of only raving about how good the product is one owns, as is only too common on audio-forums. Before I bought McIntosh, I searched all the forum-archives for information. Had I read a thread like this before I made the decision to buy McIntosh, I could have thought twice - or at least told the distributor I would only buy it with a full three-year-warranty, or not at all. Even so, I am not "ranting", I am giving facts about a valid complaint - facts that especially the 40 per cent of the international customers that make up McIntosh-customers these days may find useful. McIntosh sells for Mercedes-like prices, and a customer can expect Mercedes-like service. So I think that the matter in the given case may be with the dealer, but not only. As is clear from my first information, McIntosh did not even bother to inform me, not even after the second and third time I contacted them. It is this "Buy-all-you-can-and-then-forget-about-us"-attitude that annoys me most. From a more general point-of-view, the warranty-issue is very much with McIntosh. A three-year-warranty is not very much in terms of the best high end these days, it should be a minimum. There is enough other high end-companies that offer you five years warranty worldwide, 20 years (Bryston), or who even start with a lifelong-warranty for the original owner (Densen of Denmark just did this).
 
Last edited:
I've owned a MA6450 for about 4 years. I use it daily and haven't had any issues with lighting or anything else for that matter. As for service, I'm sorry but I have to STRONGLY disagree. I've called McIntosh on items regarding my MR77 and MCD7008 and Sharon in service was very helpful. I also had both fully serviced by them and both returned looking and sounding wonderful. IMHO I think they are a great company and I support McIntosh 100%. So there.:) :) :)
 
I love the Mc stuff and have been treated well by them, but I think the complaint is a legitimate one.

Mc Intosh tries so very hard to discourage internet sales of its products to protect their dealers, and supposedly so only trained people will sell you their gear.

Well, the dealer should have up-front told him that the warranty was less than the typical 3 years. I think its unfair to find out at the discression of the dealer, your warranty was chopped by 2/3's.


If McIntosh does sell in another country, that tidbit of info should be the first thing a customer learns about the product.

I cannot believe that after spending so much money in their stuff, he cant get help from McIntosh. Its not like the do warranty work for that many units.
In my eyes, its not like recalling 2 million Chevy's for faulty wiring...If they know its a design issue, they should front up and help the people whose units are failing.
 
Last edited:
Did this person pick up the phone and call them ?

Emails not always the best way to get a speedy response.

First thing I would have done is to give them a ring and speak to someone about my concerns.

Whinng about it on all the forums obviously ain't worked. Sometimes its who and how you talk to that gets the job done.

Grumpy
 
I agree with ya Grumpy,,,but somehow that logic hints to "only the savy and good communicators" will get the help they deserve.

Even though it seems he only emailed, they did get it and talked to the dealer..why did they bypass informing the customer?

Calling is always best, but they knew about this anyway.
 
Grumpy: Yes, I gave McIntosh a ring - right from the beginning. The first time I called I was asked to put anything in witing, i.e. an e-mail, so that they - the person responsible for international sales and service - would have the facts. This I did. I gave several e-mail-addresses, fax and phone-numbers to respond. The second time, I first send another e-mail, resending the first with the second, then calling again after the weekend to give them time to handle it. Like the first time, I was promised immediate response. Like the first time, I received none.
 
hassel,
You can rest assured that McIntosh has heard about this as Ron-C reads this regularly. It sounds to me as though the problem is with the Moscow distributor. International warranties are always a pain. I can't get my Nikon serviced in Canada under warranty by Nikon because it was purchased in the US despite Nikon's declared World Wide Warranty. These warranties seem to be at the discretion of the local people. Should Mc's three year warranty apply? Absolutely! Is three years enough? Not sure I have all the facts in this case but the 20 year warranty Bryston offers hasn't hurt their business. Did you try to get service through the German distributor? Perhaps they are more in touch with concept of customer satisfaction. My personal experience with McIntosh has been very good but my equipment is all 10 to 45 yrs old so warranties aren't an issue. I'm sure we all want to know that this has been resolved favorably for you.
Regrdz
Bill
 
Bryston does not have a 20 year warranty in the US, if memory serves me right 5 years on electronics is a legal maximum by federal law.
 
Terry: This is the Bryston-warranty which is valid in the US as well:
BRYSTON 20-YEAR WARRANTY

Bryston products are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects for twenty years from the original date of manufacture This includes parts, labour and return shipping to the first owner and all subsequent owners. Warranty coverage Is automatic and commences with the original date of manufacture which is kept on file at Bryston.

In the event of a defect or malfunctIon, Bryston will remedy the problem by repair or replacement, as we deem necessary, to restore the product to full performance.

This warranty Is considered void if the defect, malfunction or failure of the product or any component part was caused by damage (not resulting from a defect or malfunction) or abuse while in the possession of the customer, tampering by persons other than factory-authorized service personnel, or failure to comply with Bryston operating Instructions.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which may vary from provInce to province and country to country.

BRYSTON SERVICE IN CANADA:
24 STEINWAY BLVD., UNIT 48
ETOBICOKE, ONTARIO
M9W 6T8
PHONE: 416-675-2585
FAX: 416-675-3103

BRYSTON SERVICE USA:
79 COVENTRY STREET
NEWPORT, VERMONT
05855-2100
PHONE: 802-334-1201
FAX: 802-334-6658

In addition, you can contact Bryston in Canada for service.
 
This can turn into a hassle, check this link http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm
From here you run into state laws, TN does not allow some warrantys over 5 years, but will allow lifetime for mechanical parts but depending on the conditions it can or can not be transferable.
Bryston does honor the 20 year warranty in TN though it technically is not leagal by TN state law, they go by Canadian laws.
If you want more confusion look into the FTC regulations on warrantys, you need to be a lawyer to understand all of the terms...
 
Originally posted by WhiteSE
Odyssey (indianapolis area) has a 10 year transferrable warranty.
Hi, new member. Odyssey has a 20-year transferable warranty. I had a pair of Stratos monos, great amplifiers with sound, quality, upgrades, warranty and customer service unheard of at the price.
 
Back
Top Bottom