• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh Efficiency Quiz

MR78 - $650
C504 - $600
MC752 - $415 -> 75 WPC
$1665 / 150 = $11.10 per watt

But then there's the NON-McIntosh in my system:
ProJect TT - $300
Stanton 681EEE - $130
Pioneer Elite CD/SACD/DVD - $100
ReVox B77 - $200
...adds another $730
$2395 / 150 W = $15.97 per watt

wait a minute... forgot I'm not counting speakers - add another $799
$3194 / 150 W = $21.29 per watt
 
Well,I thought that we were supposed to only consider our main system.
If I added my second system and divided by 100 watts it's 435.
Even if I divide the cost of both system by 200(100 watts main system + 100 watts second system) it would still be high at 217.5.

Yes but the first time you included the cost of your 2nd without including the wattage.
 
Looking at my local CL I see an MA-6100 going for $600, a pair of Heresey II's going for $325, and a decent Denon DVD-2910 univ player for $200. Add another $100 or so for cables and wires and you are looking at an efficiency of around 9 or so. If you add a vinyl rig there is a Technics 1200 for $250 and add another $100 for that new Shure M97 cart, that brings you to 11.

Used and vintage is definitely where it's at for higher efficiency. Maybe we should just divide the cost of the amps alone by the wattage.
 
Greg.......As I understand this exercise, it is the total value of your main system, including interconnects and speaker cables, divided by the total watts in this system, which in your case would be 200 watts (100wpc x 2). Your total value would not include CDs or records.

Figuring it this way, what is your efficiency?
 
Good thing I bought some used, and still get a "former employee" discount at the Hi Fi store I worked in 20+ years ago!

10K in gear, 800 watts RMS = 12.5 efficiency. :music:
 
Good thing I bought some used, and still get a "former employee" discount at the Hi Fi store I worked in 20+ years ago!

10K in gear, 800 watts RMS = 12.5 efficiency. :music:

By calling it "efficiency" that sounds like an index (dimensionless qty). Dimensionally it is dollars per watt.
I guess you're the winner with 800 watts... an entire 800W system for $10K :eek: I thought I was doing pretty good at $21.29 per watt. I only have 75WPC but that's about to change.
 
I am at $14.35 efficiency with my system right now. It most definitely helps to buy used as I only have about $7750 invested.
 
I guess you're the winner with 800 watts... an entire 800W system for $10K :eek: I thought I was doing pretty good at $21.29 per watt. I only have 75WPC but that's about to change.

I think Ivan is the winner at 24kW. :drool:

I bought a Vandersteen 2W subwoofer used for $500, retails for 3x that. 300 watts + a MC252 (also used, very kind local A-gon seller) gives me my 800 RMS. My townhouse neighbors love me!! :smoke:
 
I'm coming in well over 100 any way I slice it.

This, due to maintaining my Mc-30s with Western Electric 350Bs and 274Bs; Telefunken ecc80*S series tubes; Nautilus 802s; C-2200 pre-amp; MCD-205 the sole source.
 
What what it be if I owned the Extremes!!!

With their 81db sensitivity me thinks you might need more amplification.
There was an amp shootout in TAS where the guy ran the MC501s, Classe CAM400s and an AR Class D stereo amp..comparing his MF KW monoblocks
all through 101E's and he commented the 501s seemed to struggle slightly whereas the Classe did fine? I think it was Paul Seydor???

MBL makes some sweet gear that's for sure! :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom