Dr. Drawbar
New Member
I've had an MA-230 for about 3 years. It recently began humming as things this old will, so I put it on the work bench and popped the bottom off of it.
First thing I noticed was three out four 15 ohm bias resistors were cracked, two of them severely so. Checked the schematic and it shows these should be 5 watt; the units installed were 1/2 watt sized, definitely factory carbon units, not wire wound.
Is this a misprint in the schematic?
Next, any pluses or minuses to using CE Distribution can capacitors in this model? They don't have exact replacements but can be arranged to be quite close in value (on the higher side) with extra WVDC than the originals. Only thing that might be a concern is the temperature ratings go as low as 55 degrees C on the candidate 60/60 mfd unit.
My background is 25 years repairing Hammond organs and Leslie speakers so I'm used to working on tube stuff and making substitutions. This is my first Macintosh repair and would like to get it right the first time.
First thing I noticed was three out four 15 ohm bias resistors were cracked, two of them severely so. Checked the schematic and it shows these should be 5 watt; the units installed were 1/2 watt sized, definitely factory carbon units, not wire wound.
Is this a misprint in the schematic?
Next, any pluses or minuses to using CE Distribution can capacitors in this model? They don't have exact replacements but can be arranged to be quite close in value (on the higher side) with extra WVDC than the originals. Only thing that might be a concern is the temperature ratings go as low as 55 degrees C on the candidate 60/60 mfd unit.
My background is 25 years repairing Hammond organs and Leslie speakers so I'm used to working on tube stuff and making substitutions. This is my first Macintosh repair and would like to get it right the first time.
Last edited: