• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh MC275 IV distortion on channels

Or he can come by my house on the weekend with the amp and we can put a equal set of my power tubes in his amp and test it in my system.

BTW @entreat11 I'm in San Mateo

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your offer, that is very kind of you, yes I would love to come by this weekend if you are free to diagnose the issue and see if it is the tubes or the amp itself.

I just got home and powered up and things sound a bit better, is that the drifting can start as the tubes warm up and get use?

Thank you,

Michael
 
Thank you for your offer, that is very kind of you, yes I would love to come by this weekend if you are free to diagnose the issue and see if it is the tubes or the amp itself.

It should be pretty easy to just pull the center stereo amp on the floor and put yours in.

IMG_1015.JPG
 
Tubes get hot and old ones if they are weak will fluctuate a lot.

Regardless of what i test for in the next couple of days lets plan for this weekend if you are free to get them looked at, if it is tubes that are bad i can buy new ones. I have been listening for the lst hour or so and I do not feel like there is a drift yet. Yesterday i noticed and i used a DB test on phone ( i tried to center as best as I could between the two speakers) and it was showing less db on the left as well.
 
Yesterday i noticed and i used a DB test on phone ( i tried to center as best as I could between the two speakers) and it was showing less db on the left as well.
If your holding a tester up to each speaker and getting a reading it will never be equal with music playing.
 
If your holding a tester up to each speaker and getting a reading it will never be equal with music playing.
i tried to just have the phone in the middle and leave is centered (as best I could) and just do it that way. Yesterday when i was doing it i was getting about 3-4 db difference today it is pretty even.
 
Yesterday when i was doing it i was getting about 3-4 db difference today it is pretty even.
But with music they don't have the same sound coming out both speakers. If you got a mono switch that will equal both sides. Or hook a computer to your system and run a test tone though the system but turn down the volume first and the bring it up.

Test tone generator, AGAIN turn down all volume controls before starting
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
 
But with music they don't have the same sound coming out both speakers. If you got a mono switch that will equal both sides. Or hook a computer to your system and run a test tone though the system but turn down the volume first and the bring it up.

Test tone generator, AGAIN turn down all volume controls before starting
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

that is true. I do have mono on the preamp, i can try that. Previously I tried hooking a computer directly to the 275 and did use a test tone from youtube, there is one that goes for an hour but i couldn't stand it after a few minutes..... I will try the above link.

btw thanks for the help and suggestions. It's very odd things now sound ok so far, not like i was seeing yesterday. maybe there was some weird fluke?
 
that is true. I do have mono on the preamp, i can try that. Previously I tried hooking a computer directly to the 275 and did use a test tone from youtube, there is one that goes for an hour but i couldn't stand it after a few minutes..... I will try the above link.

btw thanks for the help and suggestions. It's very odd things now sound ok so far, not like i was seeing yesterday. maybe there was some weird fluke?
Who knows maybe the new tube needed some burn in time?
 
@4-2-7 - Thank you for having me over today and explaining your wealth of knowledge on things. I enjoyed listing to you! It was a fun experience. Also thanks for your help with the 275 and taking the time to swap the tubes and such.
 
Back
Top Bottom