• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh MCP1500 power conditioner

Register to hide this ad
IMHO, for the money, the PS Audio Power Plant Premier not only offers 5 isolation zones that takes care of noise generated by the gear itself but also isolates the source, preamp, amps, etc.. from each other and completely re-builds the AC coming in to begin with. :thmbsp:
 
I love my Running Springs Audio Duke and Danielle...... but I would like to try the MPC1500. If it helps the sound as good as it looks then I want one....especially since it would match the rest of my McIntosh gear.
 
I love my Running Springs Audio Duke and Danielle...... but I would like to try the MPC1500. If it helps the sound as good as it looks then I want one....especially since it would match the rest of my McIntosh gear.

$4500 for an isolation transformer? :scratch2: I've also discovered that my Pole Pig isolation transformer actually adds harmonic distortion on its own although it does isolate gear and takes care of hum from ground loops. The MPC1500 does match the rest of the gear nicely though. :D
 
Serge.......I spent about three hours last night on the PS Audio site reading about the Power Plant Premier. A few years ago I had thought about the 1000 Power Plant, but you could fry an egg on it. I didn't like all the wasted watts, or the heat. How much heat does the Power Plant Premier produce? Does it make any noise, ie. hum, fan, or vibration in the fancy grill on top? Please describe the audible changes, and/or improvements once the Power Plant Premier was installed in your system. Do you use if for sources only?
 
Serge.......I spent about three hours last night on the PS Audio site reading about the Power Plant Premier. A few years ago I had thought about the 1000 Power Plant, but you could fry an egg on it. I didn't like all the wasted watts, or the heat. How much heat does the Power Plant Premier produce? Does it make any noise, ie. hum, fan, or vibration in the fancy grill on top? Please describe the audible changes, and/or improvements once the Power Plant Premier was installed in your system. Do you use if for sources only?

Dan, I wrote a very long, descriptive post as well as a follow up on the PS PPP. It was moved to the "Thinking out loud forum" so it now resides here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205999

In a nutshel, the unit is cool to the touch, the air flowing out of it is about
10 deg above ambient room temperature. Its fan is silent at 70 deg room temperature. The audible changes were described in great detail, follow the link above. I am thrilled with the unit. :yes:
 
Dan, I wrote a very long, descriptive post as well as a follow up on the PS PPP. It was moved to the "Thinking out loud forum" so it now resides here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205999

In a nutshel, the unit is cool to the touch, the air flowing out of it is about
10 deg above ambient room temperature. Its fan is silent at 70 deg room temperature. The audible changes were described in great detail, follow the link above. I am thrilled with the unit. :yes:

I 2nd the enthusiasm for the PS PPP :thmbsp:
 
Glen B.......Thanks, I think. Are you just making a statement, or seeking some additional information?

Just making an observation. :) I've been using my own DIY balanced power setup for the past 4 1/2 years and I'm happy with the results. I decided to go DIY after not being satisfied with the parts selection I was seeing in manufactured units. In my project I've used the finest wiring and parts of my choosing I could find, and after going through three generations using different transformer brands and parts, don't think I could get better performance with any current manufactured unit. Their enclosure may be more fancy looking, but that would be it.

I use separate isolation transformers feeding dedicated digital and analog outlets versus a single transformer feeding all outlets, premium Furutech outlets, Furutech 20A IEC power inlet, Acoustic Zen OCC copper/silver wiring, pure copper gold plated wire terminals, non-ferrous hardware, Carlingswitch hydraulic-magnetic circuit breaker, etc.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1741050
 
:scratch2:
I own 2 of them, they are very good units that do exactly what they are supposed to.
:scratch2::scratch2:I'm right there.....great unit.....I've auditioned a dozen in the last two years and the MPC which is really a BRYSTON TORUS in a black tux with blue earrings...was the best and on par with the AUDIENCE-T (teflon capacitors). The torroidal transformer totally regenerates new and clean juice for my sources and won out over all others(IMHO)......:yes::yes:cant say enough good things and the power switching combos are endless and convenient...You've got to love the BLACK and blue which was ICING on the CAKE..:D:D:smoke::D...so you pay a little extra for the tux....weighs 90 lbs...all torroidal trans....Methinx best isolation/protection/noise in a nice suit to boot..
 
The PPP actually regenerates AC by converting it to DC and then generating the fresh AC devoid of noise/harmonic distortion, fluctuations and ripples. Another words rock steady 120 AC with a very low .03 to .04 THD. Transformers often introduce noise of their own.
 
The PPP actually regenerates AC by converting it to DC and then generating the fresh AC devoid of noise/harmonic distortion, fluctuations and ripples. Another words rock steady 120 AC with a very low .03 to .04 THD. Transformers often introduce noise of their own.
From Bryston:

Torus power products provide isolation through its finest designed toroidal transformer between the outside power grid and the devices being protected. Such isolation helps to reject external noise sources such as motors, lights, and dimmers commonly found in the home environment. Torus power products provide noise filtering at a range from approximately 2000Hz to over 1MHz – other regular transformer based products do not start operating until nearly 10,000 Hz.
Torus products utilize Plitron ‘LONO’ (Low Noise) transformer design technology that eliminates audible noise in the power transformer regardless of line conditions, DC offset and over-voltage. Torus products perform at the NC10 level measured on the standard NC (Noise Criteria) – which makes them suitable for use in very quiet environments such as professional recording and broadcast studios
Torus products utilize Plitron “NBT” (Narrow Bandwidth Technology) to attenuate differential and common-mode noise without external circuits or components, and starting at a lower corner frequency (typically 2Khz) than other systems. The Torus result is startling – see press and user comments!
 
From Bryston:

Torus power products provide isolation through its finest designed toroidal transformer between the outside power grid and the devices being protected. Such isolation helps to reject external noise sources such as motors, lights, and dimmers commonly found in the home environment. Torus power products provide noise filtering at a range from approximately 2000Hz to over 1MHz – other regular transformer based products do not start operating until nearly 10,000 Hz.
Torus products utilize Plitron ‘LONO’ (Low Noise) transformer design technology that eliminates audible noise in the power transformer regardless of line conditions, DC offset and over-voltage. Torus products perform at the NC10 level measured on the standard NC (Noise Criteria) – which makes them suitable for use in very quiet environments such as professional recording and broadcast studios
Torus products utilize Plitron “NBT” (Narrow Bandwidth Technology) to attenuate differential and common-mode noise without external circuits or components, and starting at a lower corner frequency (typically 2Khz) than other systems. The Torus result is startling – see press and user comments!
The RGPC Pole Pig is supposed to be a very high quality isolation transformer as well. The THD coming out of it was a whopping 2.9%. Get some PS Audio Noise Harvesters and see if they still blink when plugged into your device. :thmbsp:
 
BRYSTON:Torus power isolation units present low impedance to any electronic device that is connected to them. A Single 20 amp Torus PIU has an output impedance of 0.2 ohms and can deliver 400 amp peaks (instantaneous current). The 100 amp unit only has .04 Ohms of output impedance. A typical 200 watt audio power amplifier demands 10 amps RMS current from a 120 volt line (1200VA) but may demand up to 50 amp instantaneous peaks. The standard residential wall receptacle can't supply the 50 amp peaks because they typically have higher nominal impedance. A Torus 20 amp PIU plugged into the same wall plug can supply these peak currThe Torus power products use the finest, most elaborate surge suppression technology available. Series Mode Surge Suppression does not shunt the spike to ground like MOV's do, and therefore the ground is infinitely more stable in a Torus power device. Additionally, most MOV-based surge suppression units allow as much as 300 volts through to the protected components, easily enough to do substantial damage, where as Torus surge suppression has clamping voltage onset of around 2V above peak nominal voltage. Torus units are built to meet 6000 volts, 3000 amps at 1000 repeats standard.
 
:scratch2::scratch2:Not trying to sell....just wanted to suggest why I was sold on the TORUS type platform along with dedicated lines and other basic/prudent means. The AUDIENCE T also gets great ink on their engineering platform and work with the infamous JACK BYBEE who is an electricity "GURU/GENIUS" if there ever was/is one:D:D:D
 
Get some PS Audio Noise Harvesters and see if they still blink when plugged into your device. :thmbsp:

I did just that when I bought a Furman Elite 15PFi, which I run plugged into an RGPC 400. The noise harvester in the wall no longer blinks, nor does the one in the RGPC 400. As best as I can figure the Furman unit is back-regulating the electricity to the wall! :scratch2:

Best of all the sonic improvement was wonderful, it brought out the musicality of my Mc gear, while giving me more of the positive audiophile adjectives we all crave: 3-D soundstage, more precise placement of voices and instruments, deeper and more controlled bass, transparent high end, etc. (I may have missed one or two). :D
 
Last edited:
Just making an observation. :)
I use separate isolation transformers feeding dedicated digital and analog outlets versus a single transformer feeding all outlets, premium Furutech outlets, Furutech 20A IEC power inlet, Acoustic Zen OCC copper/silver wiring, pure copper gold plated wire terminals, non-ferrous hardware, Carlingswitch hydraulic-magnetic circuit breaker, etc.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1741050

Glen,

Looks impressive and well thought out. Would be willing to publish a schematic and BOM?

Paul
 
Back
Top Bottom