• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mcintosh Triggers

Mikeywilk

New Member
Hello, having trouble making Integra processor with mono 12v trigger outs turn on MC450 for power and lights.
Thoughts? I know the Mac has stereo triggers.
Thanks,
Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
Mike - look at page 4 of your MC452 manual for the specifics on the input triggering. At minimum, a stereo 1/8" male to male may possibly turn the amp and illumination on. You may want to ask Chuck at McIntosh to be sure.
 
Mike - look at page 4 of your MC452 manual for the specifics on the input triggering. At minimum, a stereo 1/8" male to male may possibly turn the amp and illumination on. You may want to ask Chuck at McIntosh to be sure.
OK, Yeah I will call Chuck tomorrow. Thanks
 
If a voltmeter shows 12V on the turnoff-the-meters section of the stereo 1/8" plug then you will need to cut that wire in the cable. It is that simple.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
If a voltmeter shows 12V on the turnoff-the-meters section of the stereo 1/8" plug then you will need to cut that wire in the cable. It is that simple.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Thanks,
Im not asking that. Im asking how to go from an Integra with Mono Trigger, to a Mcintosh Stereo Trigger and make the Mcintosh turn on, and lights on. I figured it out. I spliced the 12V of the mono to the 2 positives on the stereo plug. Negative to Negative.
 
Hey Mike,
I'm wanting to do the same thing with my MC207 and Anthem 50v.
My (it sounds like incorrect) assumption was that it would be trouble to have a 12v talk to a 5v (and don't want to damage either component.)
So that's what you've done, and no issues?
Thanks!
 
Hey Mike,
I'm wanting to do the same thing with my MC207 and Anthem 50v.
My (it sounds like incorrect) assumption was that it would be trouble to have a 12v talk to a 5v (and don't want to damage either component.)
So that's what you've done, and no issues?
Thanks!
If not already answered, you can use a stereo trigger cable from the Anthem 50v to the McIntosh amps and will not run into any issues. You will want to do this so that the meter lights will come on. I have an AVM50v which is triggering 2 MC601s on one output and a MC205 on the second output.

I am running into issues though trying to get 2 SB16 ultras to trigger from the mc601s. It looks like I may have to make a cable for this as a stereo cable from the amps is not triggering the subs. Only if I use a mono plug then the subs will trigger but the lights turn off on the amps.
 
I need some help. I have a Lyngdorf MP60 preprocessor and McIntosh Amps MC205 and MC207. I’d like the Mac amps VU meters to turn when I trigger. Everything works as far as triggering goes but no VU meter lights on Mac amps. I have stereo 1/8 plugs connecting MP60 and Mac amps.

The MP60 can set trigger outputs to 5v or 12v and pulse or active output on the triggers. So, how do I get the VU lights to come on? Thanks.
 
Hello!

Same problem here... trying to get a Parasound P7 to trigger properly a MC257 (power and lights separately).
A stereo cable trigger from the P7 to the McIntosh does turn it on/off but the lights will remain dark because the P7 is a mono trigger.

Now... the P7 has another "Remote" driven trigger that could be used separately to control the lights (fingers crossed).

MC257 doc shows the stereo wiring (https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/-/media/Files/mcintoshlabs/DocumentMaster/us/mc257om01.ashx) - page 3/20
P7 doc shows the split triggers (https://parasound.com/pdfs/P7Manual.pdf) - page 10/28.

What could be a correct solution?

P7 mono trigger sub-mini jack #1 (for power)
+
P7 mono trigger sub-mini jack #2 (for lights)
=
Combined into a stereo mini jack?

Julien
 
I would build a cable with the mono jack on the output from the Parasound, McIntosh end will have a stereo end, the Tip and Ring will be tied together to the mono tip, the sleeve to sleeve (stereo to mono).

All that you really need is to put the +12v on the tip of the mono end to the tip and ring (middle) of the stereo end, and the ground from the sleeve of the mono to the sleeve of the stereo to turn on the amp and lights.
 
Hello!

I thought of that too as a quick hack but that means that the lights will never be off.
I'm trying to operate power and lights separately to have the meters ON for music and OFF for movies, set from the remote.

Julien
 
You may want to verify voltage requirements of the MC257 trigger first. Some late model Mc stuff is 5V, not 12V.

I’d likely call Chuck Hinton at the factory or hit up Ken Zelin in one of the fb McIntosh groups.
 
Thank you for the hints!

P7 is 12V and McIntosh accepts from 5V to 12V so we are good here.

I contacted Parasound and McIntosh again with a possible easy option (3.5mm stereo split to 2x 3.5mm mono + 2x 3.5mm <=> 2.5mm to the P7 "Main on" and "Remote" triggers) to see if they agree it could work.

Will send updates when I get some!

Julien
 
I would be concerned about using two voltage sources from two pieces of equipment if that’s what you’re proposing, as they are tied together at the common to the 275. Probably not a problem but if the two are both also connected via audio cables I’d at least ensure that there isn’t a voltage between the two negative lines before tying it all together.
 
OK, I got the final answer courtesy of McIntosh technical support (and their patience and courtesy in answering all my questions).

Short version: what I had in mind will not work.

Long version:

I wanted to use one +12V trigger for amp power on/off (that's the tip of the stereo jack on the MC257 ZA port) and another +12V trigger for lights on/off (on the ring of the stereo jack).

That won't work because the light control is NOT a trigger. Putting +12V there is a BAD idea.
Instead, whenever the tip if +5~12V triggered, then the state of the ring will dictate the state of the VU Meters lights.

- Open circuit => lights on
- Ring connected to GND => lights off

That explains why a stereo cable on the P7 mono trigger was powering up the amp (tip has the +12V trigger) but keeping the lights permanently off (ring & ground connected on a mono jack).

If I use a stereo cable and cut the wire conducting the right channel signal then Ring would be an open circuit and the lights would be permanently on.

When power trigger is in use, the front light button on the amp is becoming automatically overridden.

So the next option would be to add a manual switch on the stereo 2.5mm <=> 3.5mm cable to set right/ring to GND or open circuit... but that requires me to get up and do it while the whole idea was to be able to do this with a remote control.

At least I learned something today :)

If only McIntosh were to release a pure analog 7.1 preamp w/ phono to upgrade my Pararound P7, their trigger would be compatible.
But the most recent one was the 5.1 MC45 and that was .... 15 years ago!

Thanks everyone here for the hints and directions.

Julien
 
OK, I got the final answer courtesy of McIntosh technical support (and their patience and courtesy in answering all my questions).

Short version: what I had in mind will not work.

Long version:

I wanted to use one +12V trigger for amp power on/off (that's the tip of the stereo jack on the MC257 ZA port) and another +12V trigger for lights on/off (on the ring of the stereo jack).

That won't work because the light control is NOT a trigger. Putting +12V there is a BAD idea.
Instead, whenever the tip if +5~12V triggered, then the state of the ring will dictate the state of the VU Meters lights.

- Open circuit => lights on
- Ring connected to GND => lights off

That explains why a stereo cable on the P7 mono trigger was powering up the amp (tip has the +12V trigger) but keeping the lights permanently off (ring & ground connected on a mono jack).

If I use a stereo cable and cut the wire conducting the right channel signal then Ring would be an open circuit and the lights would be permanently on.

When power trigger is in use, the front light button on the amp is becoming automatically overridden.

So the next option would be to add a manual switch on the stereo 2.5mm <=> 3.5mm cable to set right/ring to GND or open circuit... but that requires me to get up and do it while the whole idea was to be able to do this with a remote control.

At least I learned something today :)

If only McIntosh were to release a pure analog 7.1 preamp w/ phono to upgrade my Pararound P7, their trigger would be compatible.
But the most recent one was the 5.1 MC45 and that was .... 15 years ago!

Thanks everyone here for the hints and directions.

Julien

This helped alot. We did however confirm today that you can put the ring connection on a relay to ground and switch the lights on and off with the power already on. Hope that helps.
 
Back
Top Bottom