• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MDA1000 vs C500 vs 402 as the next upgrade?

anton

Active Member
I raised these questions spontaniously in the several separate threads (and thanx to all who responded) but would love to hear the forum's views conceptualy in one place now. My current set up is 301-6900-Sonus Faber Grand Pianos. Many would say "Upgrade your speakers first" but I cannot do it due to lack of space between the wall and my sofa and due to the funny fact that they sound awesome, play great as part of Sonus Faber HT 5.1 set up as well (with MHT100) and look great in my living room...So I would rather get the best results out of them with Mcintosh upgrades.:banana:

Ever since I connected 301 through variable output with 6900 as a power amp I knew how much more dynamic my system can sound. I was looking to buy 402 first but now I decided to stop and think. Do I really need more power first?:scratch2:

Maybe MDA1000 between 301 and 6900 would be a more radical sonic upgrade? Or maybe I should go for C500 instead and keep my turntable as well? (It's not a very important source to me but I still have 100 or so LPs which I hate to part with and my wife (who also happens to be my avatar) loves the way Clearaudio Solution turntable looks on my equipment rack:D). Getting both MDA1000 and C500 seems to be a totall overkill since most people claim MDA1000 is just as good as a pre and I can also run my DVD player in stereo as well as TV signal through it. So basically the only advantage C500 gives over MDA1000 is phonostage and SACD capability or am I mistaken here? And would redbook (99,9 % of my collection) be inferior to MDA?:scratch2: I don't want any compromises in redbook performance as I have over 3000 CDs on my shelf you know!

So what do you guys think - should I get MDA, C500 or start with 402 (501's are an obvious overkill for Grand Pianos and don't fit well in my rack either)?
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd still upgrade the Speakers. :D

I think the MDA or C500 will make the greatest improvement. Then the 402.
 
Agree with Stereopal, 402 and would even suggest at the recommendation of a friend who went from a MA6900 to the MA7000; at 50 watts more, the MA7000, IHO, blew the MA6900 out of the water (he compared the units side-by-side into XRT28's). The MA7000's newer design, had better dynamics and played faster and louder than the MA6900.

IMO, the MDA and definitely the C500 are overkill.
 
Buy the MS750 and load your CD collection. When that is done buy the MDA1000, sell the MCD301 and enjoy the music!
 
3000 CD's and counting? Man, you have some serious digital. It seems an injustice to have that much digital and deprive yourself of the MDA.

My collection is about 400 and I can't imagine listening to them through anything other than the MDA. If I had to downsize my system, I can tell you that the MDA would be the last thing to go.

Here's a thought.
With the MDA it will be as if your entire CD collection has been remastered. Even the remastered CD's will sound even more remastered. You'll want to hear your entire digital collection all over again for the first time, if you know what I mean.

By the time you get through that massive collection you'll have the money saved up for the C500 if you should still want it. Perhaps you could also keep an eye out for a C1000 that may pop up on the used market at decent deal.
 
When I got my C500 I was going to get a 2300 and a pair of 501s. My dealer suggested to go straight for the C500. I'm glad I did. The improvement was so immediate and obvious, it was as if I had upgraded both my source components, which are modest I admit.

Anton, If you get the MDA you will have the benefit of having both a first class preamp and source component in one box. If you get the C500, your system will immediately sound better, and so will your vinyl! (Not that the 402 or a pair of 501s aren't on my radar though)
 
I would upgrade to the C500 (tube) if it was me. Get the 402 next and then wait and see for the next generation MDA. The MCD301 is plenty good!

howie
 
I would have to agree with jesse111, with that many CD's you'll be glad you did. the 501's would be overkill but who am i to talk. saving my $$ for the MCD/MDA combo and wishing i had your CD collection
 
I am fortunate enough to have both the MDA1000 and the 501's and consider them the pinnacle of McIntosh products (that I can almost afford). If I could choose only one, hands down, it would be the MDA.
 
+1 MDA

Added layers upon layers of new detail and ambiance for my setup. A 'Must Have'.
(MC275 + C1000 + MCD1000)

________
Oslo Terry
 
Don't underestimate the power of the MC402. :nono: I was driving my Vienna Beethoven Speakers with a 400 watt Krell amp. I was happy with the sound but was convinced that new speakers would really improve things.

Fortunately, my dealer thought otherwise and let me demo a MC 402. Wow, what a difference!! Turn on the lights the party's just getting started. The 402 firm grip on my Vienna's brought them to life and I haven't looked back. I found myself starring at the Vienna's because I couldn't believe the sound coming out of them. :D
 
"You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip".

My speakers are far from reaching their limits. Once I tried connecting 301's variable output into 6900's power input I knew how different, more open, dynamic and detailed they can sound. Now I 100% believe I can achieve some serious sound with my Grand Pianos with DAC, pre and power upgrades. That's why I started this thread. :music:
 
My speakers are far from reaching their limits. Once I tried connecting 301's variable output into 6900's power input I knew how different, more open, dynamic and detailed they can sound. Now I 100% believe I can achieve some serious sound with my Grand Pianos with DAC, pre and power upgrades. That's why I started this thread. :music:

I love spending other peoples money!:banana:

OPtion 1: Trade the 6900 for a 402. Use the 301 to control the 402.

OPtion 2: Keep the 6900, buy a C500 to control the 6900 amplifier.

OPtion 3: Keep the 6900, buy an MDA1000 to control the 6900 amplifier.

Anyway you look at it, its an improvement. You have to decide if you want a phono section or not. If you do, go for the C500.

Its fun to have options!
 
Back
Top Bottom