• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Mercer Island DIY Meet

I dig the Sabre's aesthetic :) How do they sound?

Actually, they sound very good, when you're in the sweet spot.

Dr. David Hyre (formerly of Adire Audio) commented that they sounded like the world's biggest headphones.

They were voted "best Midrange" at one of the RAW Fests in B.C., Canada a few years back and were awarded the coveted "KowTow" award at the last VSAC in Silverdale.

I demo'd them at the Pacific Northwest Audio Society a couple of years ago and Mike Lavigne stated: "Wow! Terry, I don't know if these are better than my speakers, but they cost 1/2000ths as much. Very nice."

FWIW, here's some info on Mike's stuff:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm

The drivers are nominal 1.5 inch Radio Shack close-outs that are very nice sounding, but won't play loud individually, so I decided on a focused array. Dan Wiggins measured a couple of the drivers and they had one of the best Frequency Response measurements he had ever seen. I think it was plus/minus .75dB or about 1.5 dB from any peak to any dip from 275 Hz to nearly 18 kHz where it starts a gentle roll-off. The focused array presents none of the comb filtering problems that tend to plague conventional arrays and not having a cross-over anywhere in the midrange allows a very smooth and phase coherant rendering of the music.

Disclaimer: One of the World's Foremost Line Array Guru's has declared that the Focused Array is a "Plenty Dumb Idea" and asked that I read his white paper on the subject. Perhaps he's right, but I'd rather listen to Music than read theory.

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Just a reminder that you have a little less than a month to get your projects done...unless you're like me and just complete them at the event.

I hope to have a couple of *special* items for the event myself.

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Just a reminder that you have a little less than a month to get your projects done...unless you're like me and just complete them at the event.

I hope to have a couple of *special* items for the event myself.

Best Regards,
TerryO

How many pairs of speakers can we bring?
 
Twenty pairs.



Just kidding.

I mean can we bring more than one pair? As in two or three?

I don't see why not, especially if you've put a lot of work into them. The whole purpose is to display some of the work that you're proud of.

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Just a reminder, the event is next Saturday (the 26th). I hope to have a few items there myself, but I've been busy with other projects and so I really need to go into Hyperdrive to have them ready for the Meet!
:banana:

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Terry, if you get anybody who has responded here to actually show-up, I will be deeply impressed. I've been trying to get local AKers to show-up to the Audio Society meetings for years. Unfortunately this has been largely without much success... :sigh:
 
Last edited:
For those that may be interested, one of the people planning on attending will be bringing a *lot* of drivers that he wants to unload. Pretty nice stuff.

Best regards,
TerryO
 
For those that may be interested, one of the people planning on attending will be bringing a *lot* of drivers that he wants to unload. Pretty nice stuff.

Best regards,
TerryO

Good good.

Terry, the speakerlabs will JUST be done in time. I am rushing and skipping some details to get them listenable.
 
Good good.

Terry, the speakerlabs will JUST be done in time. I am rushing and skipping some details to get them listenable.

While I can't absolutely guarantee that they will be the top item at the meet, they should be very well received. Just as an aside, why don't you print out and display some photos of the various steps in your restoration like those that you posted on AudioKarma? Not everyone attending visits the AK Forum and those pics really show the extensive work you've put into them. It should be a real inspiration!

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
While I can't absolutely guarantee that they will be the top item at the meet, they should be very well received. Just as an aside, why don't you print out and display some photos of the various steps in your restoration like those that you posted on AudioKarma? Not everyone attending visits the AK Forum and those pics really show the extensive work you've put into them. It should be a real inspiration!

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'll see if I can do that, my printer really sucks!
I'll definitely try to do a before and after.
 
Back
Top Bottom