• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mint Sony PS-3000 turntable, SS-3300 speakers, components, what are they worth?

There is also an early ST-5000 (non-F) up there as well. (no affil, of course) I have one because I have a huge Sony habit, but I do prefer a FET at the front end. For a while I thought only the early ST-5000s had the bakelite toggle knobs, but that doesn't appear to be true, it was just the examples I had seen. The later ST-5000F with the metal knobs were sold into the mid-70's, from what I understand.
 
I'd been watching the TA-1120 amps on auction site for several months, and they've been selling in the $240-$280 range. There's actually one listed right now (not mine) so you can track what it goes for, though that may be skewed because it will be shipped from Mumbai and the shipping cost will be steep. I just purchased a TA-1120 (non-A - the earlier) at the upper end of that price range and it is really, really nice. Check out the review for it on the select45rpm site - they LOVE it, and find it to be superior than the 1120a. The amp is actually rated at 50 wpc into 8 ohms. In the past year I've had several Sony receivers from that period in that wattage range and they sound incredible with my very high efficiency Klipsch speakers. Definitely not too much juice for the Sony speakers of that generation. Keep us posted!
I will let you know what happens. All of this input is making it more likely that I walk away with this stuff. It all seems to be quality equipment and rare at that.
 
There is also an early ST-5000 (non-F) up there as well. (no affil, of course) I have one because I have a huge Sony habit, but I do prefer a FET at the front end. For a while I thought only the early ST-5000s had the bakelite toggle knobs, but that doesn't appear to be true, it was just the examples I had seen. The later ST-5000F with the metal knobs were sold into the mid-70's, from what I understand.

I think I am about to develop a Sony habit...
 
I have the opportunity to pick up some really nice vintage Sony equipment from the original owner. Included are:

Sony TTS-3000 turntable with PUA-286 arm. I understand this is a very nice turntable.
Cr. I don't listen to much radio, but again I think this is pretty nice.
Sony TA-1120 integrated amp. This is rated 50 WPC on hifiengine.
Sony SS-3300 speakers.

All of this stuff is in really great condition. I haven't seen it in person yet, but there doesn't seem to be a scratch on any of it. I know most of it would need some work, but I can do most of it myself. The seller really wants to sell it all together because of sentimentality, but I am not sure I can afford to grab all of it. He doesn't really know what it's worth, but he knows it isn't junk. Any pricing help is appreciated.

I have all of the above except for the tuner. I would agree that the Sony SS-3300 speakers are more suited to valve (tube) amps. Upon my retirement I purchased the Icon Audio Stereo ST40-MK3 integrated valve amp. http://www.iconaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Leaflet-ST40-MK3-2010.08.pdf. I found the overall sound much warmer but that was it. Of course as you grow older your senses dull and maybe 40+ years in the classroom has impacted on my hearing sensitivity.

I must admit my speakers were almost a restoration project when I bought them. I purchased the Sony SS-3300 speakers for €250 two years from a college in Dublin, Ireland. The price reflected their condition as they were in a sorry state and bore the evidence of 40 years of use and abuse.

One important fact was that all the speakers' rotary wafer switches were in the same setting for almost 50 years and had badly oxidized inside the cabinets. They all had to be reconditioned and two will eventually be replaced in one cabinet if I cannot track down compatible wafers. Furthermore, when I had both speakers tested I learned that the 50 year old condensers (capacitors) in the crossover filters of both cabinets were under-performing. I decided not replace the condensers (capacitors) for two reasons. One, the cost of the original components was prohibitive and secondly, according to the experts even genuine unused condensers of that vintage deteriorate on the shelf over time.

I was offered €2,400 for the Sony amp, deck and speakers by a English doctor last May. He increased his offer to €2,700 last September together with €300 extra for my return ferry ticket to Holyhead. I declined his offer.

I hope that gives you some idea of what you should offer bearing in mind that my speakers are definitely not in mint condition..
 
I have all of the above except for the tuner. I would agree that the Sony SS-3300 speakers are more suited to valve (tube) amps. Upon my retirement I purchased the Icon Audio Stereo ST40-MK3 integrated valve amp. http://www.iconaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Leaflet-ST40-MK3-2010.08.pdf. I found the overall sound much warmer but that was it. Of course as you grow older your senses dull and maybe 40+ years in the classroom has impacted on my hearing sensitivity.

I must admit my speakers were almost a restoration project when I bought them. I purchased the Sony SS-3300 speakers for €250 two years from a college in Dublin, Ireland. The price reflected their condition as they were in a sorry state and bore the evidence of 40 years of use and abuse.

One important fact was that all the speakers' rotary wafer switches were in the same setting for almost 50 years and had badly oxidized inside the cabinets. They all had to be reconditioned and two will eventually be replaced in one cabinet if I cannot track down compatible wafers. Furthermore, when I had both speakers tested I learned that the 50 year old condensers (capacitors) in the crossover filters of both cabinets were under-performing. I decided not replace the condensers (capacitors) for two reasons. One, the cost of the original components was prohibitive and secondly, according to the experts even genuine unused condensers of that vintage deteriorate on the shelf over time.

I was offered €2,400 for the Sony amp, deck and speakers by a English doctor last May. He increased his offer to €2,700 last September together with €300 extra for my return ferry ticket to Holyhead. I declined his offer.

I hope that gives you some idea of what you should offer bearing in mind that my speakers are definitely not in mint condition..

Wow that is very helpful. I think these speakers are in very good shape too. I figure I will have to rebuild the speaker crossovers and do basic maintenance no matter what for their age. Do you know if the speakers woofers have foam surrounds that need to be replaced? I am going to just see what happens when I go look at it. I doubt I could pay close to that much on my budget, but I'll see what they seller is looking to get.
 
Furthermore, when I had both speakers tested I learned that the 50 year old condensers (capacitors) in the crossover filters of both cabinets were under-performing. I decided not replace the condensers (capacitors) for two reasons. One, the cost of the original components was prohibitive and secondly, according to the experts even genuine unused condensers of that vintage deteriorate on the shelf over time.

I can't see any reason to not simply replace those capacitors with modern parts. If anything, capacitor technology has vastly improved over the past 50 years.
 
So I never heard back from the seller on this stuff last weekend, but he got back in touch with me this week. I am going to see it Saturday afternoon. He wanted to have it all set up before I came I guess. Don't think his ad generated much interest after talking to him, so I am hoping I can bring this stuff home.
 
I can't see any reason to not simply replace those capacitors with modern parts. If anything, capacitor technology has vastly improved over the past 50 years.

Hi markshan and Sam,
It is just a question of providance and authenticity. I was surprised to find such electronic old style craftsmanship when I opened the cabinets and I was loath to tamper with it. At least they were not the old wet condensers of the 1940s and 50s. I have come across old British amps that were destroyed by corrosion from leaky electrolytic capacitors.

I might succumb eventually and replace the capacitors or leave everything in place and wire up a modern module to compare the difference. Having said that, 16 ohm crossovers are thin on the ground in Ireland.
 
HHaving said that, 16 ohm crossovers are thin on the ground in Ireland.

Xovers do not have an impedance of their own. Changing the value of the drivers moves the xover point is all. If you replace with components of the same value, it will be the same xover points.
 
And I thought I was alone in my steadfast need to recap. Bravo, lads.

Fresh caps are the way to go, but like already stated, just leave the old caps in place. Did this with my Marantz Imperial 6's, because I'm not certain the original caps are electrolytic, so they stayed, but are retired.
 
So I ended up picking up the TA-1120A amp (with wood case, but it's a 1120 with the A), 5000F tuner (with wood case), PS3000 turntable (with a Grado ZF3 cart, flexible vinyl dust cover, and two! brand new belts), SS-3300 speakers, and a TC-651 reel to reel for $700. All of it is in great shape and really just needs a cleanup except for the tweeters in the speakers. I think I did pretty good at that number considering all that is included. I already just gave the amp a quick deoxit treatment, and this thing sounds amazing. I though I had heard nice solid state sound before, but this thing is sweet sounding. It is rock-solid too.

As far as the tweeters in the speakers go, both seem to be dead. I still need to pull them to test, but I suspect I will need to find replacements. Any suggestions there? I'll be busy with the deoxit today!
 
If you're lucky, the tweeter problems are either in the crossovers or something relatively easy to fix like broken tinsel leads.

That's a killer early solid-state hi-fi setup. I'd love to hear something like it sometime.
 
If you're lucky, the tweeter problems are either in the crossovers or something relatively easy to fix like broken tinsel leads.

That's a killer early solid-state hi-fi setup. I'd love to hear something like it sometime.
Yeah, I was hoping crossover or leads in the tweeter, but when I pulled the tweeter I got no resistance reading on my miltimeter. I also connected speaker wire straight from my amp to the tweeter just to see if it would make any noise, and I got nothing. I then opened it up to check the tinsel leads, and they were both intact from the contacts to the coil as far as I could see. I wasn't comfortable going any further, but to me this pretty much confirms dead tweeters and an open voice coil. Apparently the same tweets were used in Sansui SP series speakers, so I am hoping I can track some down.
 
Back
Top Bottom