• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mistubishi LT-30 Advice

Both! But there is plenty of adjustment for a heavier shell. Since it had a wide range of VTA all you really need to worry about is the 50mm tip to base. The original Mitsubishi jig is easiest to use and is the same for all their LT tables.
Naturally it is designed to take advantage of a lower overall mass from tip to pivot.
Far far better TT than a 1600, btw, once fully restored, of course. It's just such a high precision execution, fully on the order of a PX-2.
 
Original LT-30 headshells made from unobtainium are hard to find. My LT-30 came with nothing, but I was lucky to find an original on a bidding website for $60. No finger lift. The tonearm has a bit of a heavy effective weight, so whatever is used should be light.

LT-30 headshell: http://imgur.com/WDNsV5r
 
Last edited:
I have both, A PX2 and the LT30. Prefer the 30. Smoother operation and looks and feels more substantial vs the PX2 plastic looking plinth. My 2 cents...
 
I have been looking today and have found some headshells that are 8 grams , will that work ? have not found a 6 gram yet . The one Aerobat found for me on lpgear does not list a weight but they have the 8 gram ones listed .
 
When I get this TT up and running how is it compared to my Technics SL-1600 , also any suggestions on a headshell for the LT-30 .

WAY better:yes:

There was a headshell everyone was snapping up a while back that was perforated aluminum and they were cheap.

Keep looking, you'll get something.

Good luck

Eric
 
Original LT-30 headshells made from unobtainium are hard to find. My LT-30 came with nothing, but I was lucky to find an original on a bidding website for $60. No finger lift. The tonearm has a bit of a heavy effective weight, so whatever is used should be light.

LT-30 headshell: http://imgur.com/WDNsV5r

Of course, you can make that up by using an OM series Ortofon cart without the auxiliary weight.
 
Looks like I have something to look forward to , to be honest the 1600 impressed me when I got it .
 
I have found several cartridges from 4.5 to 5.5 grams so if I pair one of them with a little heavier than original headshell it should work ? The owners manual says

headshell weight 6 g
possible cart weight 10g to 16g
(with headshell ) 16g to 20g with sub weight
 
Yes that should. The overall weight adjustability on the LT-30 is less than many TTs. But it is SO worth it. BigWally, I assume you know that is not an original LT-30 head shell, but an LT-5v one. Same as the LT-20 & 22 but no finger lift (useless on the LT-5V). The LT-30 is magnesium and is black, and maybe 2-3 grams lighter. If only they didn't all get corrosion on the chrome pushbuttons, it's the only cosmetic defect I see on many of them, including mine. I love this table. I had a 1600 and sold it, nice but really no comparison. Interesting a out the PX-2. I knew the plinth was a heavy composite, and it sounded nice to me at a friends house, and he seemed insulted when I thought it was on par with my LT-20, which is a very nice table too, I might add, just not the same finesse and solid build as the 30. The 30 has better bearings, transport, and arm and of course the super heavy metal plinth and better platter.
 
Last edited:
You're right, looking at the owner's manual my headshell is different. Mine is cast magnesium and weighs a little under six grams, so based on the shape and composition I believe it's identical to the original LT-30 headshell expect for color and the finger lift.
 
Interesting, now I'll have to check all mine out. I have 2 like yours with the line in the middle, one has a finger lift built as part of the upper cartridge screw part on an LT-20, and one on my LT-5V, which has no finger lift, just like yours. I had assumed it was stock for the LT-5V, but I could well be wrong. The LT-5V one was not magnesium originally. It's very hard to tell them apart with cartridges mounted. The black LT-30 one I have has the MA3002-II, and is very very light compared to the silver one that has the V15III in it. Difference in counter weight position is huge. Is there an easy way to tell them apart, besides scratching underneath where it can't be seen? (Or taking the carts off and weighing them!) Your LT-30 is in beautiful shape! I used a Dremel & polishing wheel with some jewelers rouge to polish the buttons on mine, but some of the pitting is still evident.
 
My ADC shel, which looks pretty much like the LT-30 one, & is black, actually has "Magnesum" cast in to the bottom.
 
Ha. There's a rush on lt-30 belts. I just ordered a new set for my lt-30 from the same place on Monday. The arms moves along the track, but slowly and reluctantly. If you find a good description for installing them, please let me know. Or take a lot of pictures along the way. This is my project for next week.
 
Pio1980 posted a link for repair on page two that is very helpfull , as far as posting pictures I am going to have someone else change the lift belt for me . When I get the belts in I am just putting the tracking belt on to test it , if it seems to be ok then I have a friend that is a lot more savy on electronics that said he would fix it from there . It will probably be a few weeks before it is fixed but when it is I will post the outcome .
 
Back
Top Bottom