• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mitsubishi LT-30 restoration

So far I can say the base plinth isn't as bad as it looked in the pix, it's still structurally sound. Over cdx is very nice if not collector/museum quality, perfect for my purposes. I was able to reset tracking before it failed to re-initiate, I suspect default/reset hangup due to non-functional cueing and need to determine the belt size before disassembly, the main point of concern to me right now is that the servomotors should run briefly upon power-up to re-initiate and zero the servo systems if it works like every other servo system LT I've seen. Bulb lamps and headshells are already on order.
 
Last edited:
Steve, turntableneedles.com has the right size belts, and ships them quick and cheap. They even give you an alcohol swab to clean up the pulleys.
 
Just ordered what they listed for the TT, this thing is a much bigger deal to service than the ReVoX Lintatrack I did and I don't want to start without everything I may need available.
 
Do the prism bulbs work? They were both blown on mine and they are 5v. All of the control panel bulbs in mine are original. I replaced the tracking bulbs without checking them.

If you have a capacitance meter, I'd be interested to hear what the total capacitance is from the tonearm through interconnects.
 
The prism lamps are good as are both tracking shutter lamps and the control panel indicators, so far the only lamp that may be out AFAIK is end-of-play. Since it's locked in cue-down I can probably check capacitance, BRB ----.
Ca 221pF each sans headshell with stock cabling and replacement plug-ends. That falls into what most MM/MI either want or tolerate, MCs are less affected by shunt capacitance but otherwise all things being equal it'll round off edges and roll-off the upper end vs less shunt cap.
My SL-1600MkII is ca 68pF each channel with muting ckt disconnected, stock cables and ends, no headshell.
 
Last edited:
My LT-30 came in at a very high 303pf capacitance. Since rewiring internally, it's down to 87pf.
 
+1. Great job by Aerobat!!

I have thought about re-wiring or a long time; however, I'll probably change both internal (i.e. in the tonearm) and external wires to the Cardas.

The other thing I thought about is to encapsule a muting board into some sort of grounded metal box. I have some hum off the Mitsu; the source is the CD player transformer.

BTW I changed the interconnectors to Petra at the time of the original restoration so I don't know if sound became better. However, changing ICs to Petras on TTs did improve sound.


Looks very do-able, I can either use some litz I have for RF projects or order the Cardas from KAB.
 
+1. Great job by Aerobat!!

I have thought about re-wiring or a long time; however, I'll probably change both internal (i.e. in the tonearm) and external wires to the Cardas.

The other thing I thought about is to encapsule a muting board into some sort of grounded metal box. I have some hum off the Mitsu; the source is the CD player transformer.

BTW I changed the interconnectors to Petra at the time of the original restoration so I don't know if sound became better. However, changing ICs to Petras on TTs did improve sound.

I'm having some hum issues as well (from before my re-wire). My other table doesn't do it and they're side-by-side, so it's something with the Mitsu.
 
I'm having some hum issues as well (from before my re-wire). My other table doesn't do it and they're side-by-side, so it's something with the Mitsu.
The Cart wires here are run with others in the carriage,
attachment.php

I'd think they should be separated.
attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Oddly, my LT-30 makes a light buzzing sound regardless of whether the ground is connected to the preamp. In fact, grounding it or not makes absolutely no difference in the noise level.

Holding the ground wire between my fingers reduces the buzz though.

Edit: I found out why I was having a grounding issue. My phono pre, a Pearl 2, reverses phase as part of its design. I had reversed the polarity of the cart leads, and this caused the problem. Putting the leads back to proper polarity eliminated the buzzing sound.

In another post Steve had said that he can hear reversed absolute phase -- so far I haven't been able to tell the diff.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
 
Last edited:
The bulbs from dwojo and headshells from Musician's Friend came in, the el-cheapo Technics knock-off headshells are really quite decent and a real bargain. No adjustable azimuth at this price level just as with the originals, my alternate lo-mass composite headshell is azimuth-adjustable. Waiting on belts and the Cardas signal wire for the carriage-to-terminal block run. My main concern is that the lift motor may be NF /burned up from a false default cdx under which it may have constantly ran while the TT was being used in such a state unknown to prior users.
 
Perhaps, they could be replaced with shielded wires?

I saw Cardas shielded wires for sale; however, don't remember at what store.

The Cart wires run with others in the carriage, I'd think they should be separated.
 
In another post Steve had said that he can hear reversed absolute phase -- so far I haven't been able to tell the diff.

Reversed absolute phase is most evident in trumpet solos and male vocals, both of which are asymmetrical waveforms with a negative half that exceeds the positive half.
 
I think it's the positive pressure phase that exceeds the negative in energy level and there may also be a waveform profile difference between them in some cases.
 
Reversed absolute phase is most evident in trumpet solos and male vocals, both of which are asymmetrical waveforms with a negative half that exceeds the positive half.

I think it's the positive pressure phase that exceeds the negative in energy level and there may also be a waveform profile difference between them in some cases.

I suppose I could reverse the speaker wires when I listen to vinyl.
 
Back
Top Bottom