• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mono - can we talk mono?

Funny, when I play my Mono Systems, I don't so much "think" about gear and I just enjoy the mellow/room filling Music.
Exactly how I feel. Seems like mono is more of a broad stroke that presents the music as a whole and complete presentation, without the distraction of wondering why the mix engineer decided to put the sax over there or as you said, finding the sweet spot. Certainly stereo and other dimensional presentations are cool in their own way but I find mono (single sound source i.e. one speaker) to be a very comfortable listening experience. Awesome mono setup you have by the way!
 
Exactly how I feel. Seems like mono is more of a broad stroke that presents the music as a whole and complete presentation, without the distraction of wondering why the mix engineer decided to put the sax over there or as you said, finding the sweet spot. Certainly stereo and other dimensional presentations are cool in their own way but I find mono (single sound source i.e. one speaker) to be a very comfortable listening experience. Awesome mono setup you have by the way!

Ooh, thank you berkemo for your kind words. I very much enjoy all my Mono Systems. I also do very much enjoy listening to my vintage EMI 529 DLS Stereo Speakers. I have a feeling the older I become, the less "picky" I am regarding Audio Gear (within reason) and just try to enjoy the Music.
Ooh, welcome to AudioKarma berkemo. I hope you'll enjoy your time here at AK.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom in Maine
 
Where do you find these things in the condition you seem to be finding them in?

eBay, CL, Canadian audio Mart, US Audio Mart

that and I have a buddy who is a prolific estate sale guy and he finds me gear often.

the amp pictured i got on eBay for $22 bucks a few months back, mind you it lacked tubes. Landed a 2nd one on Christmas Day on eBay for $100, again minus the tubes.

I research brands on google, i and run them in eBay, I search for full rage drivers, coaxial drivers and Alnico drivers.

there are deals out there you just have to get hood at the hunt. For example, I won a NOS pioneer pac-20e on eBay last night for $50.

One tip, for eBay, don't hesitate to “contact seller” and ask for a better price. The stentorian driver I was able to get it for a great deal, a lot of times singe driver are hard to sale, this one was posted a few times so I messaged the guy and just made an offer. He took it.

also look at the sellers other items, if they have a random piece of audio gear and tons of other non audio related items. If so, I’ve found they are more likely to give you a better deal as there is not an attachment.

I pride myself in finding the obscure stuff, have been at it for a number of years. I enjoy the hunt.
 
Super cool. I like obscure speakers too. Do you ever mount these in cabinets? More fun to be had there too.

Best,

Jonas


eBay, CL, Canadian audio Mart, US Audio Mart

that and I have a buddy who is a prolific estate sale guy and he finds me gear often.

the amp pictured i got on eBay for $22 bucks a few months back, mind you it lacked tubes. Landed a 2nd one on Christmas Day on eBay for $100, again minus the tubes.

I research brands on google, i and run them in eBay, I search for full rage drivers, coaxial drivers and Alnico drivers.

there are deals out there you just have to get hood at the hunt. For example, I won a NOS pioneer pac-20e on eBay last night for $50.

One tip, for eBay, don't hesitate to “contact seller” and ask for a better price. The stentorian driver I was able to get it for a great deal, a lot of times singe driver are hard to sale, this one was posted a few times so I messaged the guy and just made an offer. He took it.

also look at the sellers other items, if they have a random piece of audio gear and tons of other non audio related items. If so, I’ve found they are more likely to give you a better deal as there is not an attachment.

I pride myself in finding the obscure stuff, have been at it for a number of years. I enjoy the hunt.
 
Super cool. I like obscure speakers too. Do you ever mount these in cabinets? More fun to be had there too.

Best,

Jonas

I’ve got a few cabinet mounted, but for the space I have this little pilot amp in I like to run OB. I have one cabinet for 8” drivers, I do use it every now and then, have a hand full of 8” full range drivers and coaxials I’ll swap in and out of it.

I’d like to have a nice bass reflex cabinet built for my 12” and 15” drivers. One day I will :)
 
I’ve got a few cabinet mounted, but for the space I have this little pilot amp in I like to run OB. I have one cabinet for 8” drivers, I do use it every now and then, have a hand full of 8” full range drivers and coaxials I’ll swap in and out of it.

I’d like to have a nice bass reflex cabinet built for my 12” and 15” drivers. One day I will :)

In the meanwhile, if you want to be able to hear the drivers with minimal effort, then try a JE Labs open baffle. It could be built in an afternoon for under $20, and is very suitable for testing the sort of speakers you collect.
 
Getting on google now!! Thank you for the tip!!!

It works very well with my 1950s Goodmans speakers. Mine are simply unpainted particle board, I made a pair out of one sheet. If you haven't got a table saw or a truck, most large hardware stores have a panel cutter and will cut it to size for you for a couple dollars a cut. A Saber saw and some patience can be used to make the hole for the speaker, and various adapter plates for smaller drivers.

I'm curious what that beautiful Utah you have would do with a proper baffle. My guess it will have the warm and plesant "juke box tone", which was so highly regarded in the 1940s.
 
Getting on google now!! Thank you for the tip!!!

Here you go:

OBplan-2.jpg

Click here for more info.
 
It works very well with my 1950s Goodmans speakers.

OBGoodmans201+T35B.jpeg

Pictured above is a Goodmans 201 sent by a reader at my old website.

I never had a chance to hear Goodmans drivers in the OB but I recently lucked out on a pair of 12" Tri-Axiom 100Cs. I have all the panels cut to size, I just need to find a warm enough day to cut out the mounting holes with a router and screw the panels together.
 
OBGoodmans201+T35B.jpeg

Pictured above is a Goodmans 201 sent by a reader at my old website.

I never had a chance to hear Goodmans drivers in the OB but I recently lucked out on a pair of 12" Tri-Axiom 100Cs. I have all the panels cut to size, I just need to find a warm enough day to cut out the mounting holes with a router and screw the panels together.

I've got an Axiom 22 mk2, and an Axiom 150 mk2. They make a great mismatched pair. I prefer them to the Triaxiom 212c I used to own, but sold. If I ever went mono I'd probably want to use the Axiom 22, it's such a nice speaker.
 
WOW! That is one awesome looking Driver!

SixCats!

It sounds as good as it looks too; the thing is impressively efficient as well. I got really lucky on this one. The guy who posted it to eBay gave me a fantastic deal. I didn’t think he would accept my offer but he did! Shipped it express to. Fantastic eBay guy, boxed like a pro too. Dude had the cone sealed off and he had foam tightly wrapped around the motor/mag in a way that if the box was dropped it would absorb the shock. I’ve shipped many speakers, and turntables and various audio items, and I always get good compliments on my packaging, this guy was next level. Box was cut down to the perfect size the driver was suspended in nice foam and wrapped with plastic rap to keep it all from being loose in the box. He took some time to package this thing. Needless to say he got a full written review in his feedback lol got to give credit to where credit is due.
 
It works very well with my 1950s Goodmans speakers. Mine are simply unpainted particle board, I made a pair out of one sheet. If you haven't got a table saw or a truck, most large hardware stores have a panel cutter and will cut it to size for you for a couple dollars a cut. A Saber saw and some patience can be used to make the hole for the speaker, and various adapter plates for smaller drivers.



I'm curious what that beautiful Utah you have would do with a proper baffle. My guess it will have the warm and plesant "juke box tone", which was so highly regarded in the 1940s.


I need to take a trip down to the Home Depot, I have a circular saw so that’s not an issue; I don’t have a jig saw tho, but I do have a rotary tool with wood bits and a router attachment I can use to cut the hole. I’ve been wanting to build a single small box for a 12” driver, I just live in an apartment and have no where to really do the work. I may just move my car out to the spot and set up shop for a day, I do have a cordless circular saw and a cordless rotary tool and sander, I’m pretty sure I can do this. If we have time this week I may try to go to HD and try this.

I do appreciate the info!

So on the Utah driver, it’s a really nice speaker, that is one id love to get into a nice bass reflex cabinet, it’s one of my favorite speakers, and somewhat rare I don’t see many of them. I’ve been hunting for a 2nd for a good while.
 
Back
Top Bottom