• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Monoprice Turntable with Audio-Technica AT100E Cartridge

TBH, if I had boughten the ELAC, I'd be kinda pissed that my table didn't have the auto stop. There's really no reason it couldn't.
 
The cart on the Monolith is a AT-100E (just to clear up confusion about it earlier in this thread). I have both (was running a AT-100E on my Teac TN-300 long before the Monolith ever came along). Stylus are interchangeable, the cartridge body also fits AT-440ML.

I swapped my Monolith dust cover over to my Teac (like the smoked look better), since I prefer the Teac with the lower profile look and finish. Both are good tables and very similar, the Monolith base is heftier. I tend to get better speed measurements than spec'ed on either one of them.

I noticed the latest literature from Monoprice now shows AT-100E and VM. When the VM series came out many of the popular carts are now made with VM numbers, and it seems that's what they did here.
 
I noticed the latest literature from Monoprice now shows AT-100E and VM. When the VM series came out many of the popular carts are now made with VM numbers, and it seems that's what they did here.
The AT100E was a "VM-type" cartridge, and is now discontinued, according to Audio-Technica (see below). When Audio-Technica tweaked and revamped their VM-type cartridges (AT100E, AT120E, AT440MLb, etc.) last year, they replaced the AT100E with the new VM520EB.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/06264e9fc93d590b/index.html

But the strange thing is, the AT100E is supposed to have a black-painted cartridge body and a red stylus with the model number printed on the swing-down stylus guard, whereas all of Monoprice's photos and videos show theirs as having an unpainted silver stylus body and a green stylus, with no model number printed on the stylus guard. So maybe it's some special OEM-only version?

The official AT100E:
Audio-Technica-AT100E-cartridge-md.jpg


Monoprice's version of it:
Monoprice-Monolith-Turntable-Recommended-768x512.jpg
 
Last edited:
TBH, if I had boughten the ELAC, I'd be kinda pissed that my table didn't have the auto stop. There's really no reason it couldn't.

Have to admit auto stop is a nice feature on the Monolith, even though it "just stops".

Best deal in a new turntable right now is the Teac TN-400 in my opinion (have one on hand too). Better than my TN-300 and Monolith because it has standard headshell + same AT-100E (or VN whatever anybody wants to call it, it is a decent cartridge). You might save $50 getting a Monolith but you'll end up paying that much buying head shells if you like cartridge swapping and have some old standard ones laying around. Price check below.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...X&ved=0ahUKEwj48ryY_6jhAhWP_J4KHVZVCTcQ2SsILA

The other thing I have noticed is the newer upper end Fluance tables are spec'ing things at 0.07 W&F these days, go figure. That's a pretty accurate number for the Teac TN-300 too based on measurements.

Seriously - all of these new decks are very similar, same motors, some spin the belt around the platter some spin it inside, doesn't matter that much because their speed stability compared to old belt drive decks isn't really different and the specs are nothing more than the manufacturers trying to say one or the other is better to hit a price point, or they never bothered to measure it to begin with. Elac is trying that angle too. Sorry don't believe any of it.
 
Yeah, I'm guessing every table that comes out of that plant is pretty much the same, with the specs "massaged" to fulfill the wants of whoever is looking at it dependent on brand/price. I really doubt that $500 Yamaha or Elac table is really any different than the Monolith or Fluance. Certainly not enough to double the retail price.
 
all of Monoprice's photos and videos show theirs as having an unpainted silver stylus body and a green stylus, with no model number printed on the stylus guard. So maybe it's some special OEM-only version?

Has no model name or number anywhere. Or any marking of any kind. Other than just taking Monoprice's word for it, there's really no way to tell it is a genuine AT product - except it sounds exactly like another AT100 based cart with an elliptical stylus I have. So I'm just assuming AT supplied it as an OEM thing. Makes sense, since that's kind of Monoprice's game anyway.
 
Better than my TN-300 and Monolith because it has standard headshell

So the Monoprice is a non-standard headshell? That's a shame. Why not make it a non removable if you aren't going to make it standard? I don't get that.
 
I really doubt that $500 Yamaha or Elac table is really any different than the Monolith or Fluance. Certainly not enough to double the retail price.

I've used Monoprice headphones which stacked up favorably to units at 3-4 times the price. One is a well documented rebrand. That's actually what sent me in search of more info when I found out they had a table, but the non standard headshell may be a deal breaker for me.

If someone told me they had a hard $200 limit for a table, I'd feel better about recommending this than one of the plastic cheap ATs at this price point. They seem barely better than a Crosley.
 
So the Monoprice is a non-standard headshell? That's a shame. Why not make it a non removable if you aren't going to make it standard? I don't get that.

The way it mounts up is the same as the standard 4-pin job. When he says "non-standard" he means that its angled - it has to be because the tonearm is a straight arm, not an S-shape.

There are several different varieties of the angled headshell out there if that's your concern.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHS3-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B06XHFNHTH
https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGHS3HDSH.html
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-HS4-Universal-Headshell-Black/dp/B07N3RVMV4
https://www.turntablelab.com/products/denon-dp-300f-headshell-9410036500
https://www.ortonsaudiovisual.com/index.php/reloop-headshell-angled-turn-3.html
https://www.amazon.com/Teac-TAHS3-DJ-Equipement/dp/B01HFN451O
 
Right... meant non-standard only because it's angled. Many options for buying angled headshells these days (good list) - not so much a few years ago. But if you have any old headshells laying around the S arm is nice IMO because you don't have to shell out $30 to swap a cartridge. That's all I mean.

.
 
Greetings, this is my first post here on AudioKarma! I just picked up the Monolith TT for $85 shipped off ebay, however it's missing the dust cover. I figured that it would be a great TT to get started on this year since I just started listening to vinyl again. My old TT was an extremely low quality automatic like many people get started on, I never upgraded my TT since I wasn't really listening to vinyl for many years. This past year I've really started to get into to music and audio again. I have the HiFi fever they talk about, buying and selling lots of equipment over the last several months.
Anyhow, really nice to meet everyone! If anybody has any leads for a new dust cover for the Monolith I'm all ears. Monoprice Support has been no help whatsoever, simply stating that "we don't sell parts for our product". Their Support finished their brief response with trying to sell me a replacement table since they have them in stock and on sale for $205. I did the whole back and forth thing with them and had to explain more than once that I only need to purchase a dust cover and hinges :rolleyes:

It was interesting, but not really surprising to hear the Monolith TT is nearly identical to the Elac Miracord 50. I've experienced this a lot with some other hobbies, I also buy a lot from aliexpress. You see a lot of copying and competition going on with items and parts. Some items are good, some are garbage.

One last question:
Since I've read on various other sites online the AT-100E cartridge is now discontinued, can anyone suggest a good replacement cartridge for the Monolith TT?

Great to meet everyone, also great to see a thread going about the Monolith TT.
 
Since I've read on various other sites online the AT-100E cartridge is now discontinued, can anyone suggest a good replacement cartridge for the Monolith TT?
Phono cartridges don't normally need to be replaced -- just the stylus ("needle"). I have cartridges that are nearly 50 years old and still sound great.

And Audio-Technica may have discontinued the AT100E cartridge (at least for retail sale), but replacement and upgraded styli for it are still widely available. In fact, it is compatible with the new VM 500 series styli:

VMN10CB - bonded 0.6 mil conical tip, straight aluminum cantilever
VMN20EB - bonded 0.3 X 0.7 mil elliptical tip, straight aluminum cantilever
VMN30EN - nude 0.3 X 0.7 mil elliptical tip, straight aluminum cantilever
VMN40ML - nude MicroLine, tapered aluminum cantilever

As for the dust cover, there are many other turntables made by the same OEM that Monoprice uses -- Ya Horng. Maybe one of them will have a matching dust cover: http://www.amstereo.org/turntableguide.htm
 
Hi Folks, I'm another first time poster. After a few months of watching turntable videos on YouTube (including some excellent work by @vwestlife), I decided to finally buy one. The Monolith by Monoprice turntable (TT) is marked down to $150, which seems like a very reasonable price. I had my eye on it for a while and it seemed to edge out the other TTs that I considered, in terms of features, aesthetics and price.

I've enjoyed setting it up and my initial impression is that it sounds excellent. I was able to set the tracking force without much trouble. I don't have a stylus scale but I'm able to get it the tonearm close to balanced, and then add 1.5g, which should be in the sweet spot (AT and MP lists somewhat different tracking force suggestions [1-1.8g vs 1.8g +/- .5g).

I do have one question. I enjoy testing a new piece of equipment to make sure that it's working properly. I've seen a few YT videos about testing the anti-skate setting with an unwanted compact disc. So, I put a CD on the mat, at 33.3rpm, and the needle proceeds right to the center. It does not track, in the same spot, as I've seem in the demonstration videos. I tried increasing the anti-skate well beyond the corresponding tracking force weight (it maxes out at 4) and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, for the CD test. I can definitely hear a spring tightening when I turn the anti-skate dial, so it's not appear to be decorative or fake. I know that the AT LP-120 had issues with a soft anti-skate, so it's possible that this model has a similar issue. Then again, I've read that using a CD isn't necessarily a reliable means of testing the anti-skating function.

Considering that the TT sounds excellent, to my ears, perhaps I should just ignore the possible anti-skating issue and enjoy the music.
Of course, it's also nice to know that your gear is working, at full capacity.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
 
I'm late to the discussion, but one note is the angled head shell. At least a half dozen companies use it, so calling it non-standard is a stretch. I bought a second turntable the Audio Technica AT-LP3 automatic because I hate to jump up while working at my desk. It uses the identical angled head shell as the Denon 300 series. My turntable is white with an aluminum arm, but the red head shell makes me gag. I ordered a silver Denon DP-300 head shell from Germany which matches my arm. The head shells are identical, so the angled headshell (screw on) are more universal now than ever. Buying a Thorens or Elac model like the Monoprice turntable is a total waste of money with less features and a sub-par cartridge.

One more note is the CD test for anti-skate (bad decision), the reason is most affordable turntables use spring bias types. When the record goes to the feed out groove at the end, the bias is totally disengaged. Use the factory setting and forget people who don't even know what they're talking about. It is better to get a blank record and use this to watch the effects across the entire record. There is little control at the beginning, more in the middle of the record, and most effect in the last third of the record. My Rega turntable uses magnets, but I would never use a CD to measure anything.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Audiolad. Thank you for explaining how the (spring based) anti-skate mechanism works. It makes perfect sense to me that the engineers would design it to disengage, based on the run out location. That certainly explains why a blank record (or even a laser disc) would be a much better test. I always enjoy learning how a mechanism works, so I appreciate it!

I also noticed that the tone arm pulls toward the rest, if you leave accidentally leave tension on the AS dial while re-balancing the arm. Set the AS dial to zero, and the pulling stops. That's enough proof for me. If I find a blank record, I'd test it for fun - but I'm satisfied.

This has definitely been a fun little exercise in tinkering. Now it's time to hunt for some random albums that I wouldn't think to find, on Spotify, and enjoy.
MMTT.jpg
 
Even if you assume the validity of putting the stylus down on a smooth surface to test the anti-skating (which some people don't), a CD is too small in diameter to be an accurate test. The skating force increases as the tonearm goes towards the center, but the anti-skating force is only set to one value, so you have to average it by putting down the tonearm in the middle of a 12" disc -- either a vinyl record with a blank side, or a LaserDisc. Then adjust the anti-skating until the tonearm remains stationary, or as some people prefer, until it moves slowly towards the center.
 
Thanks to @vwestlife and @Audiolad for the enlightening responses. I think that I may try to put together a short YT video. When I was doing my research on TT candidates, I didn't find much video footage on the Monolith. There is one well-shot and helpful assembly/overview video from the AVS-Forum channel. Although, perhaps a quick review from an "average Joe" would also be useful.

The wooden stand, that it is perching on, was a furniture freebie from my neighborhood. I'm not sure if it was designed for turntables, plants, or what but the TT fits perfectly. I even have a pretty hefty subwoofer, on the bottom shelf of the stand, and the TT seems to have no trouble with vibrations.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom