• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

More Canton

MikeCh

Super Member
Another pair of Canton floor standing loudspeakers have found their way here.

This time it's a pair of the older and fairly rare CT 2000 in the same finish/color as my Ergo Passiv which are piano lacquer mahogany. Since they are from the same era their midrange and tweeters are voiced very much the same but due to the CT housing a single 12" driver as opposed to the dual 10" drivers in the Ergo, the CT does dig a little deeper.

The efficiency of the CT is 94.5db vs the 93.9db of the Ergo so the power amplifiers I'm using have no problem driving either of them to full potential.

The 2000's are smooth with plenty of accurate midrange/treble detail and the solid bass foundation is unreal. I'm not sure how Canton did it with these older models, but with both the Ergo and the CT when driven to concert level volumes the 10" drivers in the Ergo or the 12" driver in the CT exhibit very little excursion but produce authoritative and very accurate mid and low bass without strain....and the mids/highs remain as smooth as ever. They seem to be loafing along just asking for more with no limits that I've dared to find! Conversely, low level listening retains all of the slam, detail and dynamics to an incredible degree too.


CT
attachment.php



Ergo
attachment.php


Mike
 

Attachments

  • CT-2000 008 (Large).jpg
    CT-2000 008 (Large).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 414
  • CT-2000 012 (Large).jpg
    CT-2000 012 (Large).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 121
  • CT-2000 016 (Large).jpg
    CT-2000 016 (Large).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 128
Register to hide this ad
Beautiful speakers!
I just picked up a set of smaller Canton Karat 300's.
Good sound and solid construction.
 
Man, Canton makes some beautiful loudspeakers. The first and only pair I ever heard was in 1984/85 and they were just as you describe them...accurate, smooth but with plenty of bass. They were smaller, not floor standers but with a decent size woofer.
Fit and finish were remarkable! Sound too!

Congrats on more Cantons. :music:
 
Geez, those are beautiful. Congratulations on a nice find.
I'm partial to Cantons as I have (baby) Karat 30's from the same era running as mains in the HT rig. I'd love to hear their big brothers some time.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark
 
I've got a pair of Fonum 2000, that sound superb, I just have nowhere that's fit to use them currently. someday I'll find a place, till then they sit.


Congrats on them!
 
You can't go wrong with Canton. I used to own a pair of Ergos and I miss them. I thought they sounded great at mid level volume. Extremely natural.

I recently passed on a pair of Fonum 2 ways and now regret it. A friend snatched them up and I was floored by their tone. Even it is more of an entry level speaker price wise, it is still a great speaker. I honestly preferred the tweeter over the more expensive model in the Ergo 8.
 
Gorgeous. It was my understanding the CT2000 came before the CT800 and CT1000? or was it after?

A good friend of mine has a pair of the CT1000's but with the tweeter/mids side by side. They're down though because he blew the mids. How coincidental that your post has now come up.

they certainly look great - did you buff them up or do they come with a gloss finish?
 
I'm not for sure, but I think you're right that the 2000 was being built prior to the 1000 or 800 models and also ended production before the 1000 and 800 as they kept on for a couple more years.

I have a 1986 brochure scan that member 80sKid shared with me a few years ago. The version he sent me was a higher resolution, but I'm attaching a squashed .jpg here. At least in 1986, they were making all of them....the Ergo Passiv and CT 2000, 1000 & 800.

The finish on the mahogany versions is a piano lacquer gloss. I wiped them with a damp cloth and dried them, that's it.

Mike
 

Attachments

  • Page 02.jpg
    Page 02.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 130
Love that finish!

Those are beautiful speakers Mike! I know they sound wonderful. You are a very lucky dude to have not one but two pairs of rare speakers in such good shape.

Funny thing is not many people have Cantons but more people seem to know about them and their great audio quality...build and sound.
 
I certainly remember them during the 80's but somewhere around the early to mid 90's they seemed to have disappeared for awhile.

I think their car speakers were also pretty well received.
 
I certainly remember them during the 80's but somewhere around the early to mid 90's they seemed to have disappeared for awhile.

I think their car speakers were also pretty well received.

I have never had the pleasure of hear Canton loudspeakers. I did however have Canton 6.5's in a car I owned. I paired them with an Xtant 5 channel amplifier, They sounded fantastic. By far some of best speakers I have owned.
 
I certainly remember them during the 80's but somewhere around the early to mid 90's they seemed to have disappeared for awhile.

I think their car speakers were also pretty well received.

It would seem Canton did a good deal of marketing in the USA in the 80's and early 90's then stopped, or so it appears to me. However, they are still big time all over Europe so maybe that simply remains their focus at this time rather than the USA?

Mike
 
Those are beautiful speakers Mike! I know they sound wonderful. You are a very lucky dude to have not one but two pairs of rare speakers in such good shape.

Funny thing is not many people have Cantons but more people seem to know about them and their great audio quality...build and sound.

Thanks Byron! I'm sure having fun with them both :yes:

Mike
 
I can't brag about mine on this thread; you guys have the metal mesh grills and more. I'm like (((awe...dude))):thmbsp:

The grills are steel mesh pop-offs, aren't they?
 
Last edited:
I can't brag about mine on this thread; you guys have the metal mesh grills and more. I'm like (((awe...dude))):thmbsp:

The grills are steel mesh pop-offs, aren't they?

Yes, they are a press-fit steel grill that fits into a groove surrounding the front baffle.

attachment.php


Mike
 
I'd definitely buy a pair of Ergo's if they crossed my path based on my previous experience with Canton Speakers. I like their simple elegance in the same way I like the Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano and Minuetto. which I won't be giving up any time soon either.
 
Back
Top Bottom