• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most Often Found Records

JDaniel

Super Member
I've done a bit of record shopping in 2 states in the past week. I was surprised, and yet reminded of how many artists/albums show up in every record shop and thrift store. Most are artists I'd never personally buy.

My short list includes:

Andy Williams
Al Hirt
Ferrante & Teicher (spelling?)
Linda Ronstadt
Glenn Campbell
The Ray Charles Singers
Roger Whittaker
Lawrence Welk
Jimmy Swaggart
Evie (whoever the heck she is/was)

Now I will admit to owning most Linda Ronstadt albums, and even a couple of Glenn Campbell.

Ever notice the same thing?

JD
 
Register to hide this ad
I'll see that list and raise you a couple:

Herb Alpert & TB (appropriate enough)
Mitch Miller & TG (not the Crips or Bloods)
 
You can get REAL specific here with some LPs you ALWAYS see

Kristofferson and Streisand, "A Star is Born"

Herb Alpert, "Whipped Cream" ( and we know why :naughty:)

That Al Hirt one where it's a big shot of his head blowing the horn to your left

Kenny Rogers, "The Gambler"

Please feel free to add on, I know there's tons more..........
 
Lots of Barry Manilow, too. I actually bought a sealed copy of one of his to give as a door "prize" at the upcoming Southern Audio Fest 2007.
 
Last edited:
For thrift stores, but not record stores, the whole category of Christmas records is BIG. I'd guess maybe 1/4 of the total.

Record stores typically throw these right in the trash if they have to take them in as part of a big collection.
 
...thrift stores...Christmas records [are] BIG...


And Christian records, at least MOR, George Beverley Shea sort of thing, are big out in these parts, where LA County ends and the road to Arizona (ie, San Bernardino County) begins.
 
I've done a bit of record shopping in 2 states in the past week. I was surprised, and yet reminded of how many artists/albums show up in every record shop and thrift store. Most are artists I'd never personally buy.

My short list includes:

Andy Williams
Al Hirt
Ferrante & Teicher (spelling?)
Linda Ronstadt
Glenn Campbell
The Ray Charles Singers
Roger Whittaker
Lawrence Welk
Jimmy Swaggart
Evie (whoever the heck she is/was)

Now I will admit to owning most Linda Ronstadt albums, and even a couple of Glenn Campbell.

Ever notice the same thing?

JD

Pretty much the same thing. But lots of Poco (kidding) and Striesand. I too have most of Linda Rondstadt's albums one Glen Campbell and a couple of John Denver's.

Some other I see often.
Olivia Newton John
Dan Fogelberg
Gordon Lightfoot
Jesse Colin Young
Neil Diamond
Perry Como
Julie Andrews
Joan Baez
Carol King
Helen Reddy
Ann Murray
Tons of classical and Christmas LPs

And yeah...who the heck is Evie? I almost bought one recently. I remember that name from somewhere but I just wasn't curious enough.
 
I've only ever really been to one used record store, so I can't really judge how common a record is. However, I'm constantly surprised by the number of copies of Boney M's "Nightflight To Venus" I see around here. At one point, there were at least 5 copies of it in the store (which is kind of unusual given the size of the store). I ended up buying a $0.50 copy, which, apart from a few bad clicks in the intro of side A, is probably the all-around best copy I've heard. (There are currently three copies of it in this house.)

I kinda wish I saw a few Herb Alpert albums around here. I'd probably get "Whipped Cream..." if I had the chance, and not just for the cover art!
 
I visited a local antique mall for the first time the other day and was somewhat alarmed to find all the record crates were crammed full of every elvis record you can think of. with ludicrous prices to boot.

A couple of frequently seens-
jethro Tull- Aqualung
Don Mclean- American Pie
Cat Stevens- Tea and the Tillerman
Steppenwolf- Born to be Wild

Just a smattering of "real" albums I see a lot.
 
And don't forget The Soundtrack to Dr. Zhivago. I actually saw 5 at the same thrift store last week.

But I do in fact own the Record, and it's one of my favorite classic movies. The music on the record is excellent. But even better are all the pages inside the album with the history of the movie, and info on all the actors/actresses. I always read thru it before watching the movie. And a dang long movie it is (almost 4 hours it seems).

JD
 
And don't forget The Soundtrack to Dr. Zhivago. one of my favorite classic movies.JD

Love the film and really love the book - Boris Pasternak rules, JD.

Another thrift biggie 'rond here, as well as in the Chicago area when I lived there many years ago, is Carol King - Tapestry, and always, seemingly, in a state of almost unplayable condition. :scratch2:
 
I've also found a lot of Grand Funk Railroad lately, but not a singe one that was in playable condition. Dangit.

JD
 
And don't forget The Soundtrack to Dr. Zhivago. I actually saw 5 at the same thrift store last week.

JD

Sometimes, just to be a putz, I'll take a copy of a Herb Alpert record and stick it in the front of the bin. It's not that hard to make it look like there's nothing but his records in some places :lmao:
 
Love the film and really love the book - Boris Pasternak rules, JD.

Another thrift biggie 'rond here, as well as in the Chicago area when I lived there many years ago, is Carol King - Tapestry, and always, seemingly, in a state of almost unplayable condition. :scratch2:

I almost bought a nice copy of Tapestry the other day. Just because it was nice. Can you believe I found a Capitol Pressing of DSOTM in NM Cond. for 50 Cents? I think this thread is great for new thrifters. I threw in DSOTM because although common, you never see it. At least in nice shape. I did find a nice Harvest Pressing minus the Poster for a buck a little while back.
 
Sometimes, just to be a putz, I'll take a copy of a Herb Alpert record and stick it in the front of the bin. It's not that hard to make it look like there's nothing but his records in some places :lmao:

:lmao:
Andy...you a funny guy!

I think I'll do that with Babs the next time around!
 
Back
Top Bottom