• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MTX Terminator 12' Subs

Get him an ok amp with 60+ watts/channel and a pair of Cerwin Vegas with at least 12" woofers. AT-12, D7, VS-120, any of those (the newer, the lower quality they will be). That should do him well through his teens. It certainly did me :thumbsup:

Those car subs are going to sound terrible and be more trouble than they are worth and either the amp or the speakers or both will probably end up damaged in the end. Yep, tried that too as a teenager! And tell your kid; the Cerwin Vegas will thump way harder than anything you can Frankenstein together with the MTX's.
 
He can keep the MTX woofers, if he wants. He'll put them into his car one day. In the meantime, it'll take some effort and thought to get them running in his room. They are most likely 4ohm or lower, so many regular home stereos are not going to work well.If you hunt on CL or eBay, you can find a good, used amplifier that will power them. Or, get a new one from Amazon or Partsexpress.com if you'd prefer. As far as hooking it up to the stereo in the room, you'd need to let us know what he's got.
 
As a teenager, I also cobbled together systems. At the 'height' of my cobbling, I used a 200 watt or so Kenwood mono subwoofer amplifier (intended for auto installations) and a 35amp 12volt regulated power supply.

The difference here is that it was cobbled together with inexpensive garage sale and pawn shop finds. I would never recommend buying all this stuff retail to go this route.
 
As a teenager, I also cobbled together systems. At the 'height' of my cobbling, I used a 200 watt or so Kenwood mono subwoofer amplifier (intended for auto installations) and a 35amp 12volt regulated power supply.

The difference here is that it was cobbled together with inexpensive garage sale and pawn shop finds. I would never recommend buying all this stuff retail to go this route.

I was a cobbler too :)

I still remember the time I fried every speaker I owned (all 3 pairs) simultaneously by hooking them up to a malfunctioning record player/ tube amp I found in an attic. Funny now, but the equivalent emotion today would be watching a Mac go up in flames.
 
Back
Top Bottom