• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Multi-Zone setup

Solved the OSD issue. I still get the error message but I can ignore it and leave the blu ray on and the screen will go to OSD. Still a PITA because I need to go thru a couple of steps... but livable.
Another downside is volume. The volume level for the multi-room is separate from the main volume so that is set using the OSD. There is supposed to be a separate remote for that function but I am not sure I have it. Again, livable since I can set the volume to a comfortable level for outside and just leave it.

I see David_NC's point and may need to upgrade. Good advice.
Multi-room capability isn't new. I have an Onkyo HDMI receiver from 2007 working quite well with dual zones, and the volume control for the second zone is on the front panel. These can be found fairly cheaply these days since they're not 4K. Other brands offer similar capabilities.
 
It was to me. I was not aware of it until you mentioned it.
I found the remote for the 2nd zone so I am pretty close to being where I want to be. I just need the "optional IR sensor". I have what looks like one but don't remember what it was from.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2
It was to me. I was not aware of it until you mentioned it.
I found the remote for the 2nd zone so I am pretty close to being where I want to be. I just need the "optional IR sensor". I have what looks like one but don't remember what it was from.
If it's not correct, you should be able to find one fairly cheaply on ebay. You can extend the sensor wires as well by making or buying an extension cable with the correct plug and jack, although I don't know if you can use more than one sensor at a time (e.g. to be able to control the system from either one of your remote rooms).
 
It was to me. I was not aware of it until you mentioned it.
I found the remote for the 2nd zone so I am pretty close to being where I want to be. I just need the "optional IR sensor". I have what looks like one but don't remember what it was from.
I have an extender that works really well with remote zones. It's a battery in a sleeve that goes in the remote. The sleeve is a transmitter that counts current draw pulses. It transmits these pulses to a small base unit that receives these pulses and converts them back into IR. It sounds weird, but it worked with every device I tried to control. This takes the place of the 'optional IR sensor' and requires nothing to be hardwired. Another nice thing is that it eliminates the need to be near a remote IR sensor. I used mine in a universal remote so that I'd be able to control the receiver as well as components.
https://www.nextgen.us/remote-extender-plus-receiver-kit-p/remoteextenderplus.htm
 
Thanks David_NC. That may be the ticket.
I am also considering a Denon DRA-800H to bring me into the 21st century. So to speak...
 
Thanks David_NC. That may be the ticket.
I am also considering a Denon DRA-800H to bring me into the 21st century. So to speak...
That looks good. It'll give you the stuff you need without the surround part of an AVR. I'd forgotten that most of the big manufacturers still have a decent 2-channel unit. I'm sure it'll sound fine for your setup. Assuming the quality is also good, I'd def consider it. Add the battery extender thing I posted above and you'll have a nice multi-zone setup!
 
Just an update: I'm OK with the HK520. I spent some time with the owner's manual and you can actually control the multi-room function without going to the OSD so I saved a few steps there. I also re-foamed my Boston Acoustics SubSat 6 set up and it is back to sounding like it used to. Huge improvement.
Thanks for your help and patience. Now, on to the vintage stuff. I picked up a pair of Nova 7b's and have them hooked up to my old Denon AVR610 and a Technics SLA-D202. They are fantastic. Looking for a receiver now...
 
Back
Top Bottom