• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Music Hall style dual plinth question

Psimonics

Active Member
I'm finally getting around to building my own plinth, and like the idea of a dual or even triple plinth a la Music Hall. I read that their plinths are separated by sorbothane hemispheres, but what I can't find out is how they are fixed in place. Surely they can't just rest on the sorbothane, so I assume they must be bolted somewhere. Any dual plinth Music Hall owners out there who could enlighten me?
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, that's what puzzles me. Yet these Music Halls are apparently plug and play, which I can't imagine being possible if you have to assemble 3 plinths with the motor and platter mounted on separate plinths. I can't find out anything about the construction online, which is why I'm asking here.
 
I had an MMF7 for a while. I assumed they were bonded with some sort of adhesive. I have no idea what sticks well to sorbothane.
 
Last edited:
I just went downstairs and checked my mmf-5. The top layer of the plinth has holes in the bottom surface, which sit on sorbothane cones, which are plugged into the bottom layer of the plinth. I can lift the top layer off the cones.

Gravity.
 
I had an MMF7 for a while. I assumed they were bonded with some sort of adhesive. I have no idea what what sticks well to sorbothane.

Anything smooth, just like most rubbers. It's more of a molecular thing tho? . Somebody chime in here..
 
Interesting. Perhaps some are bonded and some are not. I guess the sensible approach would be to try just gravity first and if it seems unstable I can apply some adhesive. Thanks for your responses all!
Simon
 
I have a MMF 7.1 and both plinths are bonded together. There is a well for the motor to sit in that isn't connected to the plinth(s) so it is isolated from the rest of the turn table.

from the MMF 7.1 manual:
THE SPLIT-PLINTH. The plinth has three adjustable spiked feet and comes with a set of small discs (cups). The discs prevent marking of the surface of the supporting shelf. A spirit level is incorporated on the top platform. The two platforms of the plinth are separated by four Sorbothane hemispheres, which act as a suspension and isolation system. External phono sockets are attached to the bottom platform. A high quality interconnect is supplied.
 
Last edited:
Yes, the motor mounted to the bottom plinth, platter and arm to the top plinth. Bond both plinths to the elastomer that is sandwiched in between.
 
Yes, the motor mounted to the bottom plinth, platter and arm to the top plinth. Bond both plinths to the elastomer that is sandwiched in between.
On the MMF-7 and above, the motor sits directly on the shelf. The motor pod is placed in the hole in the plinth and makes no contact with the plinth. On the MMF-5 and below it's mounted to the bottom plinth.
 
Sorry for responding to such an old post.

The Sorbothane Hemispheres have adhesive on the flat side and the upper plinth just rests on the round part, no adhesive, no physical connections. Sorbothane is sticky and "bonds" with the upper plinth. That is why they come with shipping screws.
 
Back
Top Bottom