• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Music listened to by women

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppontiac

Active Member
Banned
Not to sound like a sexist, but the music most women listen to would cause me to kill my self, or at least cut off my ears if I had no other choice but to listen to their style of music. Doesn't matter what race or ethnic, it is just plain awful. I don't think there would any vintage audio, or audio if we men had to settle on the noise that passes for music to the average woman. I think Pop music is written for women in general. Just could not look forward to listening to Beyonce, Patti LaBelle, MaDonna, or Lady GaGa. Kill me now! I'd be like the character, Frank Costanza, from Seinfeld, yelling , "Serenity Now", every time he heard his wife's voice.
My hat is off to the women who enjoy the passion of music played by musicians thru Hi-FI, and understand, and appreciate the electronics associated with it.
 
Register to hide this ad
My wife likes mainly 'folk' music or, more specifically, those single guys who strum a guitar and sing pithy, snarky lyrics. It turns out that she gets more out of the lyrics and nothing out of the music itself.

My experience, OTOH, is that many of the troubadors are not good musicians but find their songs picked up by others who can figure out what to do with them. There are a few exceptions, however, but few. I accompany her when these folks come to town but find myself in a distinct minority - I keep waiting for the cool riffs and chord changes. Instead, I get single, lonely-sound guys who sing through their noses!

Of course, the tables are turned and my wife just cannot fathom jazz; something I love to play myself - see the avatar.

Cheers,

David
 
Not to sound like a sexist, but the music most women listen to would cause me to kill my self, or at least cut off my ears if I had no other choice but to listen to their style of music. Doesn't matter what race or ethnic, it is just plain awful. I don't think there would any vintage audio, or audio if we men had to settle on the noise that passes for music to the average woman. I think Pop music is written for women in general. Just could not look forward to listening to Beyonce, Patti LaBelle, MaDonna, or Lady GaGa. Kill me now! I'd be like the character, Frank Costanza, from Seinfeld, yelling , "Serenity Now", every time he heard his wife's voice.
My hat is off to the women who enjoy the passion of music played by musicians thru Hi-FI, and understand, and appreciate the electronics associated with it.
In before threadlock!

I can't resist.
What sort of music should men listen to, then? Aerosmith? Lynyrd Skynyrd? Rob Zombie? Because I'd slit my own throat if that's what I had to listen to.

It's called individual taste.
 
I have noticed that my girlfriend generally cares far more about the lyrics than I do and is quite willing to listen to radio staions that play pop music and have "Delilah" (if I hear her smarmy voice, I want to slit my own throat, only because hers isn't within reach). Most of that crap truly is awful to me.

On the other hand, sometimes she borrows my CDs and will listen to one of them exclusively for a week at a time. A couple of her recent choices were Artie Shaw and Wingy Manone. I was able to retrieve them because for the remainder of this month she will listen only to the all Christmas station.
 
From Bob Dylan- The Man In Me/Carole King- You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman to Lady Gaga/Nickelback... Gender is just not in the equation when it comes to greatness or otherwise.
 
Women listen to music? :yikes: Gee, I learn something new every day!

Okay, a feeble attempt at a (possibly sexist) joke --and a riposte to the OP.


I don't have much of a problem with the music women listen to (if one can even make such a generalization!). My wife and I listen to some music together, and often agree on what songs we like.

What I think is a more significant difference --and a very real one between the sexes-- is the interest in --or lack of interest in-- the sonic quality of the playback, and the gear used to produce it.

I love not only good music, but also "good sound." Well-made recordings played back through high-fidelity gear is important to me, and much appreciated. I'd HATE to have to listen to my music through tinny little computer speakers... yet my wife is quite content to listen to music that way, at least sometimes. Yes, she can hear the differences. In fact, she can hear with a fairly discerning ear -better than average, for sure. Yet she DOES NOT CARE whether what she's listening to sounds good or not; she focuses ONLY on the tune, the music, and not on the quality of its recording or reproduction.

Sometimes, in the right situation, I can enjoy a song that isn't well-reproduced. If a nostalia-inducing rock oldie comes on at a social event and everyone starts getting into it, I'll enjoy it, too. But I'd always prefer that it sounded good, too! My wife probably wouldn't even think about or notice the sonic characteristics, nor would most women (I believe).

If my wife were to design audio gear, it would have three switches: on/off, volume, and channel/song-change. That's it. And it would preferably be small and inconspicuous. She cannot understand why one needs multiple boxes with multiple knobs and switches. I, on the other hand, love big stacks of big boxes with lots of controls on them, and big, tall speakers with multiple driver arrays. I can enjoy looking at beautiful gear like my PLC-590 all day. She'd rather it were hidden away in a closet, or shrunk to the size of a matchbox. I think this a common difference. Just witness the percentage of AKers who are male, versus the relatively few females here (assuming we don't have a lot of women masquerading behind male online identities... :D).

I can sort of "get" the lack of interest in the gear, but not to care about sound quality -- man, that's what I don't really "get," when it comes to women and audio.
 
Last edited:
Not to sound like a sexist, but the music most women listen to would cause me to kill my self, or at least cut off my ears if I had no other choice but to listen to their style of music. Doesn't matter what race or ethnic, it is just plain awful. I don't think there would any vintage audio, or audio if we men had to settle on the noise that passes for music to the average woman. I think Pop music is written for women in general. Just could not look forward to listening to Beyonce, Patti LaBelle, MaDonna, or Lady GaGa. Kill me now! I'd be like the character, Frank Costanza, from Seinfeld, yelling , "Serenity Now", every time he heard his wife's voice.
My hat is off to the women who enjoy the passion of music played by musicians thru Hi-FI, and understand, and appreciate the electronics associated with it.

Maybe I need to check if my girlfriend is a girl?..........:eek:
 
I think it's a mistake to generalize about gender's, But my wife is into ballads, show tunes, and such. She has a wonderful voice and plays the piano a bit, but as far as listening it's a background thing for her, unless it is live, or she is singing along on occasion. Classical and Jazz - she despises. However I know many women who are avid jazz and classical fans, so I say don't paint a wide swath in regards to any race or gender etc. It just does not stand true most of the time.

Regards,
Jim
 
I think it's a mistake to generalize about gender's

Exactly, gender doesn't really have anything to do with it. My lady, for example, loves most of the same music I do. Some women I've known listen to stereotypical "manly" music that I can't stand.
 
PPontiac, do you spend much time listening to music with women? It appears you do not. I'm not sure why you feel it's ok to make such sweeping generalizations with regard to sex. Would you be ok if someone said "I can't stand any music white/black/asian people listen to" ? I surely hope not.

Sad.
 
Not to sound like a sexist, but the music most women listen to would cause me to kill my self, or at least cut off my ears if I had no other choice but to listen to their style of music. Doesn't matter what race or ethnic, it is just plain awful. I don't think there would any vintage audio, or audio if we men had to settle on the noise that passes for music to the average woman. I think Pop music is written for women in general. Just could not look forward to listening to Beyonce, Patti LaBelle, MaDonna, or Lady GaGa. Kill me now! I'd be like the character, Frank Costanza, from Seinfeld, yelling , "Serenity Now", every time he heard his wife's voice.
My hat is off to the women who enjoy the passion of music played by musicians thru Hi-FI, and understand, and appreciate the electronics associated with it.

It.s hard to not sound like you're being sexist when you actually are being sexisit.

I hope things work out for you. Good luck.
 
My hat is off to the women who enjoy the passion of music played by musicians thru Hi-FI, and understand, and appreciate the electronics associated with it.

you should always tip your hat to a lady plus it's impolite to wear a hat inside :)
 
Ive seen the ipod playlists of a lot of women I know,and I find them as varied as my own most of the time.I once found an ipod,and it had nothing but punk-Misfits,Bad Brains,etc.It turned out it belonged to a woman.
Jimmy
 
Not to sound like a sexist, but the music most women listen to would cause me to kill my self, or at least cut off my ears if I had no other choice but to listen to their style of music. Doesn't matter what race or ethnic, it is just plain awful. I don't think there would any vintage audio, or audio if we men had to settle on the noise that passes for music to the average woman. I think Pop music is written for women in general. Just could not look forward to listening to Beyonce, Patti LaBelle, MaDonna, or Lady GaGa. Kill me now! I'd be like the character, Frank Costanza, from Seinfeld, yelling , "Serenity Now", every time he heard his wife's voice.
My hat is off to the women who enjoy the passion of music played by musicians thru Hi-FI, and understand, and appreciate the electronics associated with it.

Don't worry about sounding sexist. If anyone thinks asking about music that women listen to is sexist they need therapy. Doesn't PCness get old?

My wife is 38 and likes CHR music such as Lady Gaga, Katty Perry (looks better than she sounds), Foster the People, etc. I like a lot of that music too and I'm 45.

The biggest problem is the generally hideous sound quality of most new recordings. Worst of all newer remastered versions suffer the same fate.
 
Don't worry about sounding sexist. If anyone thinks asking about music that women listen to is sexist they need therapy. Doesn't PCness get old?

Yeh! And when we're done talking about the "music" that women like, let's move on the the "music" that blacks like!. Because if this ain't sexist, then that isn't racist.

This thread could be (and arguably is) about pop music. The whole point about women is just an offensive, unnecessary holdover from the last century.

We each have the right in this country to be insensitive, hurtful and offensive. It doesn't men we have to go around exercising that right all the time.

I wonder what some of you think about a guy like me who really likes all that "women music" too.



:scratch2:
 
Not to sound like a sexist, but the music most women listen to would cause me to kill my self, or at least cut off my ears if I had no other choice but to listen to their style of music. Doesn't matter what race or ethnic, it is just plain awful. I don't think there would any vintage audio, or audio if we men had to settle on the noise that passes for music to the average woman. I think Pop music is written for women in general. Just could not look forward to listening to Beyonce, Patti LaBelle, MaDonna, or Lady GaGa. Kill me now! I'd be like the character, Frank Costanza, from Seinfeld, yelling , "Serenity Now", every time he heard his wife's voice.
My hat is off to the women who enjoy the passion of music played by musicians thru Hi-FI, and understand, and appreciate the electronics associated with it.

you failed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom