• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Music Quiz

TWantiques

AK Member
Subscriber
I have found a music quiz to test you guys on your music IQ. Here's the way it will work:

1. Forget Google. Don't look up any answers. If you know where the quiz came from please don't play the game. You're on the honor system here.

2. The quiz will be in three parts and each will be progressively more difficult. We won't move on to a new part until the current one is answered correctly.

3. I won't be offering any clues unless you get hung up for a very long time. I'm going to point out how many correct and wrong answers there are in each post and you will have to figure out which are which.

4. The first person to answer all the questions right in one post will be the winner... of....nothing. I don't have any prizes to offer but if you win this you will hence forth and forever be known as "The Sultan of Pop Music" aka Smart as Hell! cause it ain't easy.

Besides I'm guessing you guys will make short work of this.

Here we go. First part:

1. What great Motown song was recorded by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, The Isley Brothers and Marvin Gaye before the first hit version by Gladys Knight & The Pips?

2. In 2006, who became the first British male singer to have a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 since Elton John in 1998?

3.Speaking of Elton John, which of his #1 singles was named after a professional tennis team?

4. Of the four members of the Beatles during their 1962 - 1970 heyday, who was the oldest?

5. In 1985, two side projects of Duran Duran had top-10 singles. What were the names of these two side-project bands?

Good luck folks.

Terry
 
Register to hide this ad
4. Of the four members of the Beatles during their 1962 - 1970 heyday, who was the oldest?

Ringo Starr.

Let's have a Beatles-specific quiz, I might have a chance in hell. :D
 
Q #1: definitely "Heard it through the Grapevine". I know my hometown of Motown.

Q #3: guessing it might be "Benny and the Jets", because it seems like a reference to a sports team, although I don't know any of the lyrics besides the title (in fact, I don't know any other song by Elton John except for Crocodile Rock - and that certainly doesn't bring tennis to mind.)

The Ringo answer through me for a loop - I was guessing JL; and Duran Duran wasn't EVER on my playlist, so I have no idea there.
 
Last edited:
Q #1: definitely "Heard it through the Grapevine". I know my hometown of Motown.

Q #3: guessing it might be "Benny and the Jets", because it seems like a reference to a sports team, although I don't know any of the lyrics besides the title (in fact, I don't know any other song by Elton John except for Crocodile Rock - and that certainly doesn't bring tennis to mind.)

One correct answer.

Terry
 
Here we go. First part:

1. What great Motown song was recorded by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, The Isley Brothers and Marvin Gaye before the first hit version by Gladys Knight & The Pips?



I Heard It Through the Grapevine
2. In 2006, who became the first British male singer to have a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 since Elton John in 1998?

I hope it isn't James Blunt.

3.Speaking of Elton John, which of his #1 singles was named after a professional tennis team?

No clue.

4. Of the four members of the Beatles during their 1962 - 1970 heyday, who was the oldest?

Ringo

5. In 1985, two side projects of Duran Duran had top-10 singles. What were the names of these two side-project bands?

No clue.
 
I heard it through the grapevine
James Blunt
Philidelphia Freedom
Ringo
Arcadia (Simon LeBon and Nick Rhodes) and Power Station (John, Rodger and Andy Taylor with Robert Palmer)

edit - Actually I am not sure about Rodger Taylor being apart of Power Station. He may have contributed to the album but I think that they had a different regular drummer. I liked that album back in the day, don't even think I have a copy anymore.
 
I heard it through the grapevine
James Blunt
Philidelphia Freedom
Ringo
Arcadia (Simon LeBon and Nick Rhodes) and Power Station (John, Rodger and Andy Taylor with Robert Palmer)

edit - Actually I am not sure about Rodger Taylor being apart of Power Station. He may have contributed to the album but I think that they had a different regular drummer. I liked that album back in the day, don't even think I have a copy anymore.

Got it. The first winner is whyaskit. Good job everyone.

I'll post the next five questions early this evening.
Hey CarlV, maybe this next group will be right up your alley. No Duran Duran questions. :D

Terry
 
I know who Robert Palmer was. No clue who all the rest up here are. Duran Duran fan wasn't me I guess.

The names are of the original five members of Duran Duran. Simon LeBon - vocals, Nick Rhodes - keys, Andy Taylor - guitar, Rodger Taylor - drums, and John Taylor - Bass. (I think thats right)

For the record I do like Duran Duran but the big fans around here are my wife and my sister. They know way more than me, I just sorta pickup up a few tidbits. Hang out with someone long enough and things start getting scary. :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom