• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Music Related Books

This one is a bit hard to find, but 'Honkers and Shouters - the Golden Years Of Rhythm And Blues' by Arnold Shaw is a treasure for any fans of early r&b.
 
I received an Aztec wall
of vision
& dissolved my room in
sweet derision
Closed my eyes, prepared to go
A gentle wind inform'd me so
And bathed my skin in either glow


Jim Morrison
 
9780525521044

I just finished listening to the audiobook. It's really quite a story about the life and times of four high school buddies from Dublin.
 
 
Leaving the phone-booth, I was
Struck by a whiff of
the weird.
Insane old country woman
come to nag the haunts
of town
Hairy legs w/open soars

From what swamp or inner-rock
did you crawl to remind
us of what we choose
to leave.


Jim Morrison
 
These titles might be of interest to people here:

1) Maureen Mahon, Black Diamond Queens: African American Women and Rock and Roll. Duke University Press, 2020.

2) Jack Hamilton, Just Around Midnight: Rock and Roll and the Racial Imagination. Harvard University Press, 2016.

3) Phil Ford, Dig: Sound and Music in Hip Culture. Oxford University Press, 2013.

These are all academic titles and generally pretty dense, though I found all three to be enjoyable reads.
 
This one is a bit hard to find, but 'Honkers and Shouters - the Golden Years Of Rhythm And Blues' by Arnold Shaw is a treasure for any fans of early r&b.
I was turned on to this book by my professor Philip Ennis as I was doing research for his The Seventh Stream: the Emergence of Rocknroll in American Popular Culture.

Shaw's book is essentially an oral history of what Ennis calls the r'and b' "stream" as it assembles itself as a distributed network in the post-WWII era. It was a very important work for our research; my only complaint as a New Orleans resident for the past 40 years is he gives a ridiculously short shrift to New Orleans an r'and b' town.
 
SIGNALS

When radio dark night existed
& assumed control, & we rocked in its web
consumed by static & stroked w/fear
we were drawn down long from
a deep deep sleep, & awaken'd
at dayfall by worried guardeners
& made to be led thu dew wet
jungle to the swift summit, o'er looking
The sea. ...


Jim Morrison
 
One resource that is fantastic is Google Books. They have scanned in books back to the days of King Henry Tudor VIII

Here is one I picked at random.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 07.52.06.png
 
As I look back

over my life

I am struck by post

cards


Ruined Snap Shots

faded posters

Of a time, I can't recall


Jim Morrison




Q
 
One of the best ever reference books on the "1001 Greatest Singles Ever Made" by Dave Marsh ('89) takes a wholistic view at the many "hits" accomplished.

And, he immerses the reader in his 600+ pager, with not only the meaning/background of the tune, but the lead up to it, and the ramifications of the music afterwards.

In other words, it is an intensive examination of what made Rock & Soul music in the past decades... what/why it is today!


"THE HEART OF ROCK & SOUL"-New American Library is worth the time and effort to pick up. IMHO


Q
 
One of the best ever reference books on the "1001 Greatest Singles Ever Made" by Dave Marsh ('89) takes a wholistic view at the many "hits" accomplished.

And, he immerses the reader in his 600+ pager, with not only the meaning/background of the tune, but the lead up to it, and the ramifications of the music afterwards.

In other words, it is an intensive examination of what made Rock & Soul music in the past decades... what/why it is today!


"THE HEART OF ROCK & SOUL"-New American Library is worth the time and effort to pick up. IMHO


Q

I was lucky enough to come across this book by chance. In college, I was writing a research paper on music history, and the writer from https://edubirdie.com/pay-for-essays who was helping me mentioned it in the text. I remember then that I became interested in her, but because of my demanding schedule, I forgot about it. It's great that after a while, I finally returned to this book.
Thanks. I'll add it to my list.
Lately, I have become interested in classics. So I'd recommend "The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century" by Alex Ross. I didn't expect this to be such a fun read for someone like me.
 
Back
Top Bottom