• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Music to Judge bass response

timsclips

Well-Known Member
My two goto tracks for listening to bass is The First time I ever saw your face by Roberta Flack and Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side.

I am sure there are better tracks but I have been familiar with these two songs for decades and have heard them played a very large assortment of equipment.

What songs do you like for hearing bass, try to keep it songs that may have been played on the radio at one time.
 
Register to hide this ad
As Idatlof said, The Real Me!

Also, "Save the Best for Last" by Vanessa Williams. If you don't have a good, full range recording of pipe organ, this is great for tuning a subwoofer. "Time" by Pink Floyd, "Costs" by Gideon, "Who Let the Cats Out?" by Mike Stern, "Impulsation" by Mortification, 1812 Overture by the Cincinnati Pops & Erich Kunzel and "Round About" by Yes are a few good ones. Wanna get startled? Listen to "The Embrace" by Al di Meola. My son's cat got the crap scared out of him with this last one. He made the mistake of sleeping between the subwoofer and the wall when I played it. I don't know if it was the sound of the heavy drums, the air coming out of the reflex port or both, but he jumped a mile! I miss that cat. Ragdolls are a rare breed. My 2 got a good start from it too. :D
 
Chemical Brothers "believe". Get the EU vinyl for the best & cd single import for a cd player. Everything is done low with power.

Another one--if you don't like that group--is Joy Division "Atmosphere". Once again import vinyl or import cd single.

Just try turning that up on your system compared to a Who song or Boston or Lou Reed. They just do bass guitar emphasis....try adding well produced powerful drums to that.
 
I'm not really a Beyonce fan but Partition has some insane bass in it. Not sure how far it goes down but probably below 30 Hz.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
 
All you may ever need.

61K7QYU-LNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg


But when I really want to test bass response, nothing is better than
art-minibrute_1.jpg


The immediacy is wonderful. Using test tones seems unnecessarily labored after using it.
 
For middle of thre road bass, country. For low bass there is what's called "The Boston Acoustics Woofer Cooker". Also, The Who - Who Are you, you should distinctly hear the two bass notes. If it sounds like he is playing the same note all the time you lack bass definition. It is two notes an octave apart, and the more obvious that is, the better.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...on Acoustics Bass Test CD - Woofer Cooker.mp3

Give that a try. I've seen woofers in these poor old ported systems pump their gut out practically silently on that one. the woofer cooker has it damn low but really is more for output. You might be surprised how loud you can't turn it. Another rock song is Megadeath - Trust. There is a drum solo in the beginning that'll test. Pretty full range drum solo that I was surprised how good id DID NOT sound on other systems after I got used to it on mine. Then after that the bass guitar is playing the lowest octave it can. Or is that a synth ? They got synths these days that you really acn't tell, especially from a bass. Now that I think of it there is no "slap" to it so it could be a synth. Never asked...

There are a few Charlie Daniels songs like Legend Of Wooly Swamp that aren't bad. Led Zepplin - NoQuarter, studio version. And believe it or not, Gallows Pole has bass in it though it is very subtle. Until I got a good system I thought there was no bass in it.
 
mfrench dead nuts on!! :banana:

You guys are missing a real treat with cathedral organ music.. big organs!! Cautioning if your speakers can handle the lows.
 
Back
Top Bottom